Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:40 PM Post #4,126 of 4,319
How you like it over the DMP-Z1?
The ZM2 has a slightly modern sound signature, DMP-Z1 feels a touch warmer. Both are built for different purpose, I wouldn't replace one with another. Both are Sony as in same sound signature.

The DMP is so much more powerful which is very appealing, I personally don't feel the ZM2 is a DMP replacement. Guess I'm blessed to have both and can use them in different scenarios.

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #4,127 of 4,319
The ZM2 has a slightly modern sound signature, DMP-Z1 feels a touch warmer. Both are built for different purpose, I wouldn't replace one with another. Both are Sony as in same sound signature.

The DMP is so much more powerful which is very appealing, I personally don't feel the ZM2 is a DMP replacement. Guess I'm blessed to have both and can use them in different scenarios.
+1

Sep 25, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #4,128 of 4,319
I am feeling tempted to mod my OG WM1A replace the cables with Lavri Grand strands and a new battery

Sep 25, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #4,129 of 4,319
Hello can someone let me know if this is normal. I always use Sony Music Center to transfer files (flac) from my computer (PC). Sometimes the DMP won't show cover art for certain albums and its always random. I never had the same problem on my fiio and neither on the new ZM2. Its always the DMP which wont show. Should I use a different software? TIA

Sep 26, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #4,130 of 4,319
Hello can someone let me know if this is normal. I always use Sony Music Center to transfer files (flac) from my computer (PC). Sometimes the DMP won't show cover art for certain albums and its always random. I never had the same problem on my fiio and neither on the new ZM2. Its always the DMP which wont show. Should I use a different software? TIA
Fiio and 1ZM2 are android which support progressive JPG and interlaced PNG images. The DMP supports only baseline standard JPG and non-interlaced PNG, you must use something like Adobe phtoahop or gimp to re-save the images and then use MP3Tag to remove old cover and embed resaved pic back into flac/DSD .

Other issue is that maybe your files don't even have an image embedded as cover

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,131 of 4,319
Fiio and 1ZM2 are android which support progressive JPG and interlaced PNG images. The DMP supports only baseline standard JPG and non-interlaced PNG, you must use something like Adobe phtoahop or gimp to re-save the images and then use MP3Tag to remove old cover and embed resaved pic back into flac/DSD .

Other issue is that maybe your files don't even have an image embedded as cover
Makes sense what you said about android for the other players. For the DMP I make sure the image is populated in the Sony Music Center Software before I transfer the album over, but some still don't. I will try with the MP3Tag, thanks!

Sep 26, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #4,132 of 4,319
Makes sense what you said about android for the other players. For the DMP I make sure the image is populated in the Sony Music Center Software before I transfer the album over, but some still don't. I will try with the MP3Tag, thanks!

It's about the type of the JPG and PNG as mentioned.

MP3Tag alone won't help, you need to make sure the JPG/PNG is baseline/non-interlaced.

I once sent to someone a DMP-Z1 firmware build to test a low latency USB DAC mode, he did not answer at all though, and it's also risky, as I don't have the device myself to test if all works fine. However, there is a build available somewhere in this topic which should work fine and should have the album cover art issue fixed.

Found it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-sony-dmp-z1-thread.886122/post-15841422

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #4,133 of 4,319

MP3Tag alone won't help, you need to make sure the JPG/PNG is baseline/non-interlaced.

I once sent to someone a DMP-Z1 firmware build to test a low latency USB DAC mode, he did not answer at all though, and it's also risky, as I don't have the device myself to test if all works fine. However, there is a build available somewhere in this topic which should work fine and should have the album cover art issue fixed.

Found it: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-sony-dmp-z1-thread.886122/post-15841422
Thank you I will check it out, I was hoping since everything look fine on the Music Center app it should transfer over fine. It's just so random some transfer is fine and then some aren't even though on the app the image is there and all seem fine.

Sep 26, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #4,134 of 4,319
So over the 3 years of ownership, I contemplated many a times selling the DMP and even putting it up for sale few times and withdrawing it afterwards, thankfully! I also reached out to @Whitigir via email and thanks to his opinion a few other audio friends in my personal life, I still have the DPM (phew!)

Having the ZM2 for a few days and directly comparing it to the DMP gave me a big perspective that the grass is not always greener on the other side :) Simply put there is no direct comparison which can be made, both are absolutely meant for different purposes. DMP is still King and it maybe so given the output power difference, which cannot be ignored. Sound wise both are sublime.

Those on the fence about selling the DMP and getting the ZM2 I suggest Stop, you will regret your decision forever. The DMP is unique and such a niche product, now I plan on keeping it till it dies, unless of course there is a DMP-2 someday, which I doubt.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,135 of 4,319
So over the 3 years of ownership, I contemplated many a times selling the DMP and even putting it up for sale few times and withdrawing it afterwards, thankfully! I also reached out to @Whitigir via email and thanks to his opinion a few other audio friends in my personal life, I still have the DPM (phew!)

Having the ZM2 for a few days and directly comparing it to the DMP gave me a big perspective that the grass is not always greener on the other side :) Simply put there is no direct comparison which can be made, both are absolutely meant for different purposes. DMP is still King and it maybe so given the output power difference, which cannot be ignored. Sound wise both are sublime.

Those on the fence about selling the DMP and getting the ZM2 I suggest Stop, you will regret your decision forever. The DMP is unique and such a niche product, now I plan on keeping it till it dies, unless of course there is a DMP-2 someday, which I doubt.
One simple trick for the jpg/png is to open them in paint and resaving them again. But this can degrade the image quality, hence Photoshop or gimp

Sep 27, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #4,136 of 4,319
I got my cable back from the repair

image.jpg

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #4,138 of 4,319

Thank you very much really appreciated this did the job bud!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back