Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 28, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #4,081 of 4,319
As I’ve posted, the “golden rule” is to ignore. It’s all about attention, seeking attention, any “supply” whether that be good or bad, or any response of any kind. They are like children, trapped in adult bodies & “don’t want to be left out” & their view & opinion is the right one & the only one. Zero self awareness.

Narcissist’s are fantasists, they make up stories, then embellish & elaborate on those stories & if you follow closely, they then contradict the story ( & they’re also known liar’s. )
Just block him with the ignore button on his prkfile

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #4,083 of 4,319
I don’t need to. I’ll just ignore his posts.
I was at the Sony Store last month and asked the staff. Sadly, it wasn’t on display. Such a gem.

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:39 AM Post #4,084 of 4,319
For the first time, last night. I had the situation occur, of not calculating the last period of playback & the strange think is i know more than 30 minutes had passed since pausing. I unplugged at the mains & when i then disconnected from the player, the ac power to battery display came on the screen. I know it had definitely been at least 30 minutes, but it seems it didn’t automatically shut down. Ever time I switch my player on, i think is the light going to come on & at times it seems longer to appear. I think I’m always going to have that moment of panic now.

Just thinking, on another note, i had a reply from the contact at a Sony & she does not have any information about new products, such as a successor to the DMP-Z1 but suggested to check their press release page.

Aug 3, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #4,085 of 4,319
image.jpg
image.jpg

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #4,086 of 4,319
For the first time, last night. I had the situation occur, of not calculating the last period of playback & the strange think is i know more than 30 minutes had passed since pausing. I unplugged at the mains & when i then disconnected from the player, the ac power to battery display came on the screen. I know it had definitely been at least 30 minutes, but it seems it didn’t automatically shut down. Ever time I switch my player on, i think is the light going to come on & at times it seems longer to appear. I think I’m always going to have that moment of panic now.

Just thinking, on another note, i had a reply from the contact at a Sony & she does not have any information about new products, such as a successor to the DMP-Z1 but suggested to check their press release page.
IFA 2023 is almoat here ;from 1 september bus 6 sept)

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #4,087 of 4,319
Aug 10, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #4,088 of 4,319
I’m honestly loving them, received them a week ago tomorrow & I’ve been constantly listening. You know, up to now, i have mainly been using my Sony 1AM2’s, which are on the bass heavy side, which I don’t mind & they’re lively.

Like many people / reviewers say, they question the bass of the HD800S, that it is lacking. If you want boomy bass, fine, but if you want an accurate bass, that is present & not lacking & compliments the rest of the sound, then these are great. I’d say wonderful.

People, also talk about the treble, which i don’t really find to be peaky - if you listen to something that’s not well produced…..

These are a great match for the DMP. There’s details, minute details, in my music, that I don’t think I have heard & the soundstage is huge.

All I can say is, as you gather from my posts, i regret buying my Sony MDR-Z1R’s, but I’d be very surprised if I regret buying the HD800S.

I‘m not blown away using my Sennheiser HD600S with my DMP, don’t get me wrong, they’re not bad, but as i would have expected the HD800S to be better & different.

I think they would suit your chamber / orchestral music, that you love, if you can use open backs, in your environment ? ( Not that i want to influence you ! :relaxed: )

…..and just to add, they sound great with my Shanling M30, too ! :)
Thanks for your feedback Rob49.

If you were to compare the MDR Z1R and the HD800S what would your impressions be?

Personally, when I bought the DMP-Z1, I bought the MDR-Z1R because I thought that staying in the SONY family made sense in terms of compatibility. In fact, people who had listened to the MDR Z1R with different systems confirmed that these headphones sounded much better with the DMP-Z1R.

I'd like to move on to other headphones for new experiences with the DMP-Z1, but there are so many possibilities, sometimes at excessive prices...

That's why I'd appreciate your feedback, and I don't know if you've listened to other headphones with the DMP-Z1 than the MDR Z1R and HD800S?

Aug 10, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #4,089 of 4,319

If you were to compare the MDR Z1R and the HD800S what would your impressions be?

Personally, when I bought the DMP-Z1, I bought the MDR-Z1R because I thought that staying in the SONY family made sense in terms of compatibility. In fact, people who had listened to the MDR Z1R with different systems confirmed that these headphones sounded much better with the DMP-Z1R.

I'd like to move on to other headphones for new experiences with the DMP-Z1, but there are so many possibilities, sometimes at excessive prices...

That's why I'd appreciate your feedback, and I don't know if you've listened to other headphones with the DMP-Z1 than the MDR Z1R and HD800S?
Focal Stellia and Focal Clear original also work great.

Aug 10, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #4,090 of 4,319

I may be the wrong one to answer the question, when other’s love their Z1R combo, but they are not good with the stock cable. I bought a custom made cable, which I think improved, but i think after the initial period & overtime of using my Z1R’s, regardless of what I paired with, i came to the conclusion they were overrated. I just never got that excited when listening.

I am enjoying the HD800S with my DMP. I’d also say, after nearly 400 hours of listening now, not all with the HD800S, i would say they are great with well produced music, they will perhaps highlight not so well recorded music & that’s when I think of treble peaks, some congestion, e.t.c.

Before receiving the HD800S i used my Sony 1AM2 headphones, with a custom cable & i love that combo. Just a lively, more bassy / slam experience. I’ve used my Sennheiser HD660S, too & although ok, they leave me feeling, like the Sony MDR-Z1R’s a bit flat & unexciting.

It is strange ( or perhaps not so strange. ) that i can like one Sony headphone & not another & the same with Sennheiser.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #4,093 of 4,319
I tried both headphones the HD800S and focal utopia.

I was only able to use single end as they sis noyhave a 4.4mm cable. I also asked if they had the final audio D unfortunately they didn't have the final audio headphone so I was only able to test the aforementioned to create phones. Call mom at first they gave me accidentally the HD820

The 820 is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life I don't know why sennheiser bothered with it.

The 800S they almost look boss, but they have, but it doesn't reach that deep for organ music details are sometimes artificially boost it with air, piercing highs, or sometimes they are not so present on the soubdstage flat like 2D cartoon i didnt like thwm, theyre entry lwvel audiophile for me.

The utopia is super easy to drive and sounds wonderful I call say like IER-Z1R with better details, retrieval and better quality boss soundstage like Z1R )IER€ I really like the utopia

Aug 15, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #4,094 of 4,319
I tried both headphones the HD800S and focal utopia.

I was only able to use single end as they sis noyhave a 4.4mm cable. I also asked if they had the final audio D unfortunately they didn't have the final audio headphone so I was only able to test the aforementioned to create phones. Call mom at first they gave me accidentally the HD820

The 820 is the worst thing I have ever heard in my life I don't know why sennheiser bothered with it.

The 800S they almost look boss, but they have, but it doesn't reach that deep for organ music details are sometimes artificially boost it with air, piercing highs, or sometimes they are not so present on the soubdstage flat like 2D cartoon i didnt like thwm, theyre entry lwvel audiophile for me.

The utopia is super easy to drive and sounds wonderful I call say like IER-Z1R with better details, retrieval and better quality boss soundstage like Z1R )IER€ I really like the utopia

Would you hope to buy the Utopia’s someday ?? I’ve wanted to own a Focal headphone & considered them for a long time - I think I was swayed by budget, with the HD800S.

I do think that they can sound great, with well produced recordings, but I do understand why you would come to your conclusions. Did you have chance to listen very long ?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #4,095 of 4,319
Would you hope to buy the Utopia’s someday ?? I’ve wanted to own a Focal headphone & considered them for a long time - I think I was swayed by budget, with the HD800S.

I do think that they can sound great, with well produced recordings, but I do why you would come to your conclusions. Did you have chance to listen very long ?
I lostened bavk to bavk for about 3 hours

Users who are viewing this thread

Back