Official Sony DMP-Z1 Thread
Jul 24, 2023 at 7:49 AM Post #4,051 of 4,345
C
Bacj at using my DMP after being away for almost two weeks in berlin. The battery didnt drop a single volt from 100%

I knew you were away ! :relaxed: I hope you enjoyed your time there ? You didn’t take your DMP, with you ?? I’m still letting my player automatically shut down - the 20 minute period. If I leave it plugged in, ( longer than the 20 minute period. ) as i did this morning, that doesn’t affect battery does it ?? ( Obviously, being on ac power - as i have kept it, this nearly 4 weeks, of having my player back. )

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #4,053 of 4,345
@Rob49 how are the HD800s sounding to tou? Good or so so? Hows the bass? And details soundstage?

I’m honestly loving them, received them a week ago tomorrow & I’ve been constantly listening. You know, up to now, i have mainly been using my Sony 1AM2’s, which are on the bass heavy side, which I don’t mind & they’re lively.

Like many people / reviewers say, they question the bass of the HD800S, that it is lacking. If you want boomy bass, fine, but if you want an accurate bass, that is present & not lacking & compliments the rest of the sound, then these are great. I’d say wonderful.

People, also talk about the treble, which i don’t really find to be peaky - if you listen to something that’s not well produced…..

These are a great match for the DMP. There’s details, minute details, in my music, that I don’t think I have heard & the soundstage is huge.

All I can say is, as you gather from my posts, i regret buying my Sony MDR-Z1R’s, but I’d be very surprised if I regret buying the HD800S.

I‘m not blown away using my Sennheiser HD600S with my DMP, don’t get me wrong, they’re not bad, but as i would have expected the HD800S to be better & different.

I think they would suit your chamber / orchestral music, that you love, if you can use open backs, in your environment ? ( Not that i want to influence you ! :relaxed: )

…..and just to add, they sound great with my Shanling M30, too ! :)

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #4,054 of 4,345
I knew you were away ! :relaxed: I hope you enjoyed your time there ? You didn’t take your DMP, with you ?? I’m still letting my player automatically shut down - the 20 minute period. If I leave it plugged in, ( longer than the 20 minute period. ) as i did this morning, that doesn’t affect battery does it ?? ( Obviously, being on ac power - as i have kept it, this nearly 4 weeks, of having my player back. )
I did not take my DMP to berlin as my friends there are heavy smokers... aside i disnt have time to liaten to music due to sightseeing and the CSD Berlin. And taking ir on train is nor so comfy

Jul 25, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #4,055 of 4,345
I’m honestly loving them, received them a week ago tomorrow & I’ve been constantly listening. You know, up to now, i have mainly been using my Sony 1AM2’s, which are on the bass heavy side, which I don’t mind & they’re lively.

Like many people / reviewers say, they question the bass of the HD800S, that it is lacking. If you want boomy bass, fine, but if you want an accurate bass, that is present & not lacking & compliments the rest of the sound, then these are great. I’d say wonderful.

People, also talk about the treble, which i don’t really find to be peaky - if you listen to something that’s not well produced…..

These are a great match for the DMP. There’s details, minute details, in my music, that I don’t think I have heard & the soundstage is huge.

All I can say is, as you gather from my posts, i regret buying my Sony MDR-Z1R’s, but I’d be very surprised if I regret buying the HD800S.

I‘m not blown away using my Sennheiser HD600S with my DMP, don’t get me wrong, they’re not bad, but as i would have expected the HD800S to be better & different.

I think they would suit your chamber / orchestral music, that you love, if you can use open backs, in your environment ? ( Not that i want to influence you ! :relaxed: )

…..and just to add, they sound great with my Shanling M30, too ! :)
I found the DMP compliments my MDR without a problem. Results vary

Jul 25, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #4,057 of 4,345
I did not take my DMP to berlin as my friends there are heavy smokers... aside i disnt have time to liaten to music due to sightseeing and the CSD Berlin. And taking ir on train is nor so comfy

I totally understand. I hope you enjoyed your break ?
I found the DMP compliments my MDR without a problem. Results vary

It’s awful with the stock cable. I have a custom cable & that improves it for me, but it just isn’t something that excites me & makes me want to listen for extended periods & that’s not just with the DMP. ( I didn’t actually think you owned the DMP. )

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #4,058 of 4,345
Jul 25, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #4,059 of 4,345
I agree i feel same as you, i am also growing vurious of yje HD800S
A friend who works at Sony let me use it for a week. It was a gem. Kept listening to it more at E-Earphone. But after everything was thought out, the TA and WM1Z made my ears happy. The DMP is an heirloom. I’ll always appreciate it. If I ever get a super raise, I’ll get it. But even with the listed equipment I own, I have spent a lot on audio.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #4,060 of 4,345
And here I wondered why the DMP z1 thread curiously have a lot new pages... Its always cuz people are arguing aint it XD

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #4,061 of 4,345
And here I wondered why the DMP z1 thread curiously have a lot new pages... Its always cuz people are arguing aint it XD
Is that any surprise to you?^^

The DMP-Z1 thread isn't even the worst, its quite chilled here (mostly). Check the Threads of >5000$ Headphones or even EST sets.

The best thing is when EST guys and Planar guys get into an epic fight. Especially planar guys love to talk about cables and amps and synergy and what not but EST guys don't care at all. Their 50'000$ setup shipped with extremly cheap bare bones basic cables you often can't replace with 3rd party cables and you have the amp you have, there is not much choice (if at all).

The cables of the 25'000$ Sennheiser HE-1 are even outperformed by the MDR-Z1R stock cables that a lot of people consider garbage and "You can't listen to it".

With cheap entry level products its the exact opposite. They are constantly only talking about technical specifications and measurements and argue why it makes no sense to spend any money on any product at all because they all measure the same, so don't even dare to test anything that costs more than 500$, its all snakeoil.

So the people with 10'000$ setups like the DMP-Z1 owners are kinda sandwiched and get attacked from both sides. The cheapstakes where technical data is the most important and the insanely rich people who think they can buy emotions with money tell them equally that their setup makes no sense. So they have to constantly remind themself that they have the best you can have to purge even the slightest hint of doubt or to prevent yourself from questioning your decisions.

Because then you would either come to the conclusion that you wasted money, or to the conclusion that you have to spend even more money.

Tell someone with an 25'000$ amp that the DMP-Z1 is the best thing that exists, they'll run after you with burning pitchforks :D

In my personal experience, the limit for quality increase is at around 1500-2000$ for earphone and at around 700-1000$ for amps, then you reach perfection. With that statement, you can equally make all camps hate you. An fetish of mine :D

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #4,063 of 4,345
Hmmmmm…….i wonder who the main culprit is ?? ( & not only on this thread ! )
I also believe utter nonsense, irrelevant to DMP posts (especially from non-owners) should be downvoted then deleted. Questions are always welcome as we, the owners who ran over 1k hrs thru this PDAP, can help answer them.

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #4,064 of 4,345
Since the DMP is discontinued, I placed a pre-order for a Lotoo Mjölnir, but before going forward with the Mjölnir, I wanted to know if there is any (trustable) rumors about e DMP Successor ? thanks

Lotoo.jpg

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #4,065 of 4,345
I also believe utter nonsense, irrelevant to DMP posts (especially from non-owners) should be downvoted then deleted. Questions are always welcome as we, the owners who ran over 1k hrs thru this PDAP, can help answer them.

It’s annoying, but there’s attention seekers in this world, they’re known as narcissists ( & I’ve pointed that fact out on this thread, previously, & directly to that person. ) They have no self awareness, or of other’s. They are right about everything ! If you have personal experience, of N.P.D. you can spot who they are. These people can’t change & they will keep coming back, to this thread & other’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back