OFFICIAL: Second Annual Northern NJ Meet 2009 - July 25
Jul 14, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #136 of 228
Gear --

Sources: (1) Vintage Sony Discman with optical out. (2) Shanling CDP, brand NIB, looking to lose its virginity. (3) Classic Bang & Olufsun CDP with analog and S/PDIF out as a spare. (4) Wadia digital iPod doc, and some iPods -- also a virgin NIB, need help with it.

Amps: EF-1, with HiFlight kit on the side so someone can help me install. Lots o' 12AU7's to roll. Maybe the custom QES balanced 600-ohm dual amp that I had at the last NYC meet, not sure yet.

DACs: Benchmark (non-USB), MoodLab. Monarchy Up-Sampler.

HPs: If I bring the balanced amp: 600 ohm K240DFs, 880s, 770s ... all custom re-cabled and balanced. For the EF-1: Senn 600 with moon-audio Silver Dragon (have the balanced version too so we can switch cables). HF-2 if it gets here, which looks unlikely. Another member is bringing me back the Grado GS1000's (balanced with Stefan Audio Art Equinox) I leant him, so those will be there too. Also Sextetts with I think are slightly off -- want other opinions.

Hope to show off a new custom half-width rack which I designed from scratch and is now being built (specified 2" Fir instead of Maple to keep costs down -- not as hard, but should damp fine) specifically to fit CDP + DAC + EF-1 + Wadia Doc + Source Switch + UpSampler + CDs to listen to + Senn HP hook holder. CDP can be either the vintage Sony or the Shanling; DAC can be either the Moodlab (and the upsampler) or the Benchmark (no upsampler needed).

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #138 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might not be able to go... details after the fold (in a couple days).

Ah, that would suck.

Does anyone actually have the HF-2's on hand? I'd love to have at least two pairs at the meet so everyone can get some quick impressions down to add to those that are on the site here already.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #139 of 228
Nikongod and I have had ours for a couple of months and I will probably make it with mine.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #140 of 228
TTVJ has not shipped my HF-2's. Bummer. I ordered early, too! How come Ari and VS have all the luck. Really.

Matt -- you have to come. Snap out of it man. There will be a bloody horse's head in your bed if you fail us.

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #141 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gear --

Also Sextetts with I think are slightly off -- want other opinions.

I can bring my EP sextetts if you want something to compare against. I know you like comparing things.
wink.gif

It's probably not off anyways. It's probably just standard AKG production variation thing.

Jul 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #142 of 228
Anyone bringing a non balanced HD800? I haven't heard the HD800s yet ,I am thinking of bringing my Cary300sei which should be a good match.

Jul 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #143 of 228
Tom, mine have the original 1/4" end converted to an adapter that I will bring if I make it. Not exactly stock but close.

Jul 16, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #145 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tom, mine have the original 1/4" end converted to an adapter that I will bring if I make it. Not exactly stock but close.

Jeff,

You will have to make it then.
wink.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #146 of 228
Ok, I just got my headphones. I have the Denon's AH-D5000 that is partially Markl modded. I bought it from tim3320070. Already has 300hrs on it so it's properly burned in. My Alessandro MS-1i just arrived today and now I'm burning them in. Hopefully, I'll have close to 100hrs at least on it before the Head-fi meet. I also have the Sennheiser eH350 that I bought back in the day to replace my stolen Senn's HD212 Pro. I don't recommend getting it now that I got my hands on the Alessandro MS-1i which is in the same price point when I first bought the eH350. So unless someone has the urge to listen to less refined headphones, I don't see the point bringing it.

As for source, I have the Cowon iAudio X5l which has the rockbox firmware. I have no amps or anything since I just now have some free cash to fund my audiophile-ness. I am hoping to get a good idea and find a portable amp to my liking on that day
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #148 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellojoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you like comparing things.
wink.gif

It's women who do that.

Anyway, I would love to listen to your Sextetts to see if mine are "off". Thanks!

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #149 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by JETC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for source, I have the Cowon iAudio X5l which has the rockbox firmware.

What are the advantages of that firmware? I've had my X5L for a long time now and I've always used the standard firmware. Great device, though...excellent fidelity for an ordinary MP3 player. I'll let you try it with my portable amp and see how it changes the sound slightly.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #150 of 228
I have a rockboxed h120 + d10 for anyone to try out, if they want to hook up their own IEM's, portables, etc.

I wasnt going to offer it, as I have so much to schlep already... but then I realized I would have it in the car already
biggrin.gif
I can't survive a drive of more than 15 minutes without my tunes!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back