OFFICIAL: Second Annual Northern NJ Meet 2009 - July 25
Jul 7, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #106 of 228
Awesome. I actually got a free crappy JVC unit but would love to try one of yours. I have so much to do, should have my frankenstax done tomorrow. DIYphones? I don't even want to think about it.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #107 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome. I actually got a free crappy JVC unit but would love to try one of your units.

Free is good. I used eBay "best offer" for the first time and got the Shanling nearly free. I needed a CDP less than half-rack (9.5") across for my new shelf unit; the Sony portable looked a little lame on the shelf.

Most such narrow units are for DJs and suck as transports even though they have digital out. Most audio units are low and very wide, no good for me.

The Shanling arrived today (at least I think it did, or I got a heavy but empty box from China) -- not opened yet. I gotta go to sleep ...

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #108 of 228
I have yet to hear a difference I would be confident in ABXing between transports. I would certainly like to see the Shanling, you will have to secretly tell me what nearly free means lest the hordes of NJ head-fiers catch on..

Edit: I think everyone should bring a piece of paper describing their system, any mods, a general sound description etc etc. A page describing what is going on might be a help to those who wouldn't be familiar with all the components that will be there.

Jul 7, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #109 of 228
@ wavoman.

no need to bring your balanced amp. i'm primarily going to the meet to listen to the WES. as long as i get some quality time with that, i'll be happy. but a mini meet at another time is a good idea.

Jul 7, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #110 of 228
i made a compilation for the meet. this is the cd i will have in my G08, so if you don't know/like the music, then bring some of your own music.

Head-Fi Mix (7.6.09)

Artist AlbumSong
1.B.B. KingLive At The RegalHow Blue Can You Get
2. Stevie Ray VaughnBlues At SunriseAin't Gone N Give Up On Love
3. Eva CassidyLive at Blues AlleyStormy Monday
4. Nora JonesCome Away With MeCome Away With Me
5.Patty GriffinLet Him FlyLiving With Ghosts
6. Anna NalickShine EPShine (acoustic)
7. Cat PowerDark End of the StreetDark End of the Street
8. Cat PowerJukeboxShe's Got You
9. Ingrid MichaelsonBe OKThe Way I Am
10. Ingrid MichaelsonBe OKYou and I
11. KT TunstallAcoustic ExtravaganzaOne Day
12. Jenny LewisAcid TongueAcid Tongue
13. Regina SpektorBegin to HopeFidelity
14. Brandi CarlileBrandi CarlileFollow
15. Neko CaseChallengersChallengers
16. FeistLet it DieLonely, Lonely
17. FeistReminderThe Park
18FeistOpen SeasonMushaboom (K-Os Remix)
19. MobyOne Of These Mornings18
20. Govt MuleMighty HighUnthrow That Spear

Jul 9, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #111 of 228
This is going to be great! I will definitely be there. Put me on the list! My Sennheiser HD600's are 9 years old (and look it). I will have them jacked into Channel Islands gear. I will have one of Fangs cables hooked up to the Sennheisers and he nailed it with this cable!

Also, great suggestion to have details of ones rig written down for everyone to see.

Jul 9, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #112 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i made a compilation for the meet. this is the cd i will have ...

OMG burn one for me! Pleeeeze! This is great mix! I will repay you somehow. I have many of these albums, but will buy the CDs (or at least the track) for the rest ... I do not keep music I have not paid for, ever!

Fantastic selection.

This is Jersey. I will steal yours if you do not make me a copy.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #113 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have a Benchmark DAC-1 (slightly modded ... now uses RCA not BNC for the S/PDIF in), original not extra crispy (no USB).

And a Moodlabs Concept DAC on the cheap end -- I want to try it with the Monarch Upsampler fed from a very vintage Sony Discman with optical out. I think I'll try it at the meet for the first time -- I have the gear here but can't get my act together to hook it all up. If I throw the units on the table and go to the men's room or something maybe Ari or Matt will wire it all up and get it working, who knows.

I can't wait to hear this. I have read so much about it!

Jul 11, 2009 at 8:02 AM Post #115 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashnolan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't wait to hear this. I have read so much about it!

Yea, it'll be fun to take the upsampler in and out of the chain and see if we hear any difference.

Help me hook it all up if I don't get to it?

Stuff sits in boxes here as I compulsively waste my time trying to get to 1000 posts for no reason whatsoever except (untreated and heretofore undiagnosed) mental illness. At least I make it a habit to enjoy some listening before turning to the internet every night. I should do the same for wiring -- but I don't enjoy hooking up equipment, only listening to it. I used to, funny how things change as one ages. Now I consider it a pain (and with slight arthritis in the hand -- extremely common -- it actually is).

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #116 of 228
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, it'll be fun to take the upsampler in and out of the chain and see if we hear any difference.

Help me hook it all up if I don't get to it?

Stuff sits in boxes here as I compulsively waste my time trying to get to 1000 posts for no reason whatsoever except (untreated and heretofore undiagnosed) mental illness. At least I make it a habit to enjoy some listening before turning to the internet every night. I should do the same for wiring -- but I don't enjoy hooking up equipment, only listening to it. I used to, funny how things change as one ages. Now I consider it a pain (and with slight arthritis in the hand -- extremely common -- it actually is).

Between myself or others you have nothing to worry about.

Does anyone have a burning desire to hear a lo-fi vinyl rig? It is obviously a hassle to bring but I have no problem doing it if someone wants to see what $70 of a table and phono preamp can get you.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #117 of 228
I was enjoying the pairing of my new Phoenix and Denon AH-D7000's (Single-Ended) so much that I had to get the 7000's balanced. So on Thursday I boxed them up and sent them to Moon Audio for an ultra special re-cable job. As usual I go way overboard, they are being re-cabled with over $1000 worth of my cable. Why am I posting this here? Well I'm hoping that they make it back in time for the meet so that I'll be able to bring them along. Otherwise I'll have nothing to use with my Audio-gd Phoenix so I guess that I might as well leave it at home.

But I'll still bring my Woo Audio GES (Loaded) and my HeAudio Jades.

Jul 11, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #119 of 228
ya... how transparent was that? Everyone knew that I'd still be bringing the Phoenix. I was just messing with those who are especially looking forward to hearing it.

I think that mine will be the only one there, don't know for sure though.

Jul 11, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #120 of 228
Haha as anticipation grows the madness sets in...

So... it is looking like my wife has to work, which means I won't have the car... which means I would need a ride. If anyone is in the NYC area and can help me out I'd appreciate it and would certainly buy you lunch at the very least
wink.gif
I'm JUST outside the lincoln tunnel in Jersey these days... so please let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back