Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #2,611 of 3,690
Aug 12, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #2,613 of 3,690
Back in the fold?

Yeah, I felt bad about constantly polluting this thread with my blather without actually having one. I feel more legitimate now (or will as soon as it gets delivered). :grinning:

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #2,615 of 3,690
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,616 of 3,690
Hi guys, I apologize if I will sound like a whiny baby but here it goes.

Is there anybody here that doesn't hear any difference whatsoever between using Vali 2 and without it? I've had it for about 2 years now and it really just serves me as a volume knob.
I've read so many stories that the sound is like an angels singing in your ears etc... I honestly don't hear anything more.

Now, I'm not that deaf. About 5 years ago I replaced my Logitech computer speakers with Kurzweil monitors and let me tell you, that was a massive difference. I really could hear more. I could hear instruments below the main ones, the guitars sounded amazing, it was really great, I had to listen to all my songs too see what else was there. But not with Vali 2. I expected something similar. I got nothing, no difference, no new details. I've been using AKG K701 and Meze 99 Classic with it.

End of whining. Did anybody else experienced something like this? I'm plugging a computer headphone jack into Vali 2 and that's it. Am I doing something wrong?
Welcome to the thread, @GhostLoveScore . Re: wild and euphoric sound quality (SQ) changes. It's crazy-making, isn't it. When I started this ridiculous hobby ~2y ago, I was advised not to expect dramatic sound quality changes when rolling tubes. It's subtle. I think I detect a difference between my Magni3 and my Vali2 (with an upgraded Slovak chunk of glass) -- a slight increase in depth? Pshhh. Dunno. I like the technology behind how vacuum tubes work and get a kick out of the creepy incandescent glow. I like the glow so much I picked up Vali's big sister, the Valhalla2. And put sockets savers on it to elevate the valves (better cooling... and MORE apparent glow). It's what I like about the Vali. It's a low risk option for curious headphoners. All hail solid state, eh. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #2,617 of 3,690
I only bought one. Promise. :slight_smile:

Too bad. I was going to suggest you get 2. They're only $100 a piece. Then you can use all those matched pair tubes you have (I'd hate to see your hoard go all lopsided). Run the Vali2s in a "dual mono" config. It'd be awesome!

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #2,618 of 3,690
Too bad. I was going to suggest you get 2. They're only $100 a piece. Then you can use all those matched pair tubes you have (I'd hate to see your hoard go all lopsided). Run the Vali2s in a "dual mono" config. It'd be awesome!

Now why didn't *I* think of that? I'm sure @Paladin79 could whip me up a splitter cable to sum the outputs into each channel. Duh on me. :smile:

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #2,619 of 3,690
Now why didn't *I* think of that? I'm sure @Paladin79 could whip me up a splitter cable to sum the outputs into each channel. Duh on me. :smile:

I hesitated a bit too long and missed out on a second Vali 2, I need something for some decent A/B testing. Hey @bcowen do you run Tidal, if so listen to the beginning of the 2011 remastered Version of Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. What is that at the beginning, someone wadding up cellophane or some such??? I tried it on two different computer sources, different DAC's, different amps, headphones etc. See if you get that if you have time. It occurs in the first 15 seconds or so lol and I have not heard that in other versions.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #2,620 of 3,690
I hesitated a bit too long and missed out on a second Vali 2, I need something for some decent A/B testing. Hey @bcowen do you run Tidal, if so listen to the beginning of the 2011 remastered Version of Red Right Hand by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. What is that at the beginning, someone wadding up cellophane or some such??? I tried it on two different computer sources, different DAC's, different amps, headphones etc. See if you get that if you have time. It occurs in the first 15 seconds or so lol and I have not heard that in other versions.

There are a couple clicks in the first few seconds, but at exactly 14 seconds in I hear a brief crackling too. Have no clue what it is, other than someone in the studio doing something to cause the noise. Cool song though...I like it!

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #2,621 of 3,690
There are a couple clicks in the first few seconds, but at exactly 14 seconds in I hear a brief crackling too. Have no clue what it is, other than someone in the studio doing something to cause the noise. Cool song though...I like it!

To the best of my knowledge I have only heard the noise in that iteration of the song, and it is remastered lol. Oh well it ceases after a while.

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #2,622 of 3,690
To the best of my knowledge I have only heard the noise in that iteration of the song, and it is remastered lol. Oh well it ceases after a while.

It's very brief and not really bothersome (to me). I haven't listened to any of the other versions. Are they as good sound quality-wise as this remastered version?

Aug 14, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #2,623 of 3,690
It's very brief and not really bothersome (to me). I haven't listened to any of the other versions. Are they as good sound quality-wise as this remastered version?
I will have to go back and re-listen but I do not recall much difference. There are only a few of his songs I like but that is certainly one of them. I am the same way with Nick Lowe, there are a few things I really like..

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:25 AM Post #2,624 of 3,690

That noise sounds intentional me. There is an earlier crackling noise that pans from right to left and is audible in earlier recordings. Just from listening I think the noises are are supposed to be ruffling through a pack of cigarettes and the sound at 14 seconds is lighting the cigarette. It would fit in with the song and I thought he was a pretty heavy smoker at one point.

The only version of an earlier mix I've heard had a slightly shorter introduction, but still has the other crackling sounds.

Aug 14, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #2,625 of 3,690
Sounds good, I may not have picked up on it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back