Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Apr 25, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,536 of 3,690
I purchased a used Vali 2 (1.0) from another user here maybe 6 months ago. I didn't even realize that there were two versions. I also have a Magni 3 beneath it for when I want that full SS sound. I didn't really like the mismatched knobs, so I reached out to Schiit asking about the revised model and possibly getting a new knob. They got right back to me with the shipped price of $3.57. I was completely taken back by the great customer service. They also threw in the revised shorter footpads for free. Couldn't be happier.

On that note, are there any discernible differences between the board or amp from the original vs the revised model?

Jeez, lucky you. When I emailed Schiit about getting another cover plate (I wanted to bore out the tube opening to fit a 6sn7 adapter) they bluntly replied "we don't sell parts"

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #2,537 of 3,690
My customer service experience with Schiit has been variable. My Jotenheim was ordered w/o a dac card, but when I got it, it had a dac. Since I paid for the amp only, I can't complain, but I imagine it can go the other way, too. My recent Vali2 order contained no stick on feet. They were very responsive to my email re same, and again when the USPS sent them to Oregon for some reason. Both pckgs eventually showed up, so now I have 14 extra feet (and how many of us can say that?). On the other hand, when I returned my Modi MB for warranty service, it came back with a Modi 2 in the MB case. At first, they acted like I was lying about it, but it got taken care of in the end, so... I still would buy from them, so I guess it's been good enough for my purposes. I never forget my experiences providing customer service, either, so I try to be kind, which can't hurt. I don't expect perfection, as long as screw-ups are made right, and that has happened.

Apr 25, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #2,538 of 3,690
Dipping a Vali in the bathtub... wasn't that one of the ways Bill Murray killed himself in Groundhog Day?
...talk about some product placement, eh. Toss a Vali or Valhalla into Bill Murray's bathtub. :ksc75smile: ....so.... @SchiitFerBrainz .... is that... you know... covered by the warranty? J/K.

On another note. I discovered a fascinating YouTube channel about audio science and HiFi repairs. He's a gifted teacher. And a Canadian to boot (out of Vancouver, BC)...link.

That's far, far beyond my abilities. I can appreciate it; however, the thought of electrocuting myself with DC or AC reminds me to let the professionals do repairs.
Here's an example of Mister Carlson's Lab... how does a vacuum tube work?....

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #2,539 of 3,690
OK, my current setup :)

MBP >> Optical >> Modi 3 >> Vali 2 >> HD6XX [or] Edifier 1280s

Vali is now sporting a 9-pin socket saver, and a matched EH 6922 :D

I'm actually thinking about picking up a pair of Massdrop X Meze 99s, kind of got into a pattern, if I'm listening to cans, I want total isolation, otherwise, I'll just use my desktop speakers (might sell the HD6XXs)

I'm running my TEAC 650 CD player directly to the speakers, but I'd like to go through the Modi/Vali, I think I might switch the MBP to USB and use the optical for the CD player ...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,540 of 3,690
My customer service experience with Schiit has been variable. My Jotenheim was ordered w/o a dac card, but when I got it, it had a dac. Since I paid for the amp only, I can't complain, but I imagine it can go the other way, too. My recent Vali2 order contained no stick on feet. They were very responsive to my email re same, and again when the USPS sent them to Oregon for some reason. Both pckgs eventually showed up, so now I have 14 extra feet (and how many of us can say that?). On the other hand, when I returned my Modi MB for warranty service, it came back with a Modi 2 in the MB case. At first, they acted like I was lying about it, but it got taken care of in the end, so... I still would buy from them, so I guess it's been good enough for my purposes. I never forget my experiences providing customer service, either, so I try to be kind, which can't hurt. I don't expect perfection, as long as screw-ups are made right, and that has happened.
I still remember my first order with them. They sent me a unlabelled Modi Multibit. I asked them to mail me the serial-number sticker. About 48h later, I received a brand new, properly labelled unit without paperwork. I contacted them and asked if they'd like me to return the original (unlabelled) unit. I thought I could hear the grimace on the other end... why, yes. Yes, sir. That would be appreciated (whisper whisper who the heck sent a unit out without an RMA). :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
OK, my current setup :)

MBP >> Optical >> Modi 3 >> Vali 2 >> HD6XX [or] Edifier 1280s

Vali is now sporting a 9-pin socket saver, and a matched EH 6922 :D

I'm actually thinking about picking up a pair of Massdrop X Meze 99s, kind of got into a pattern, if I'm listening to cans, I want total isolation, otherwise, I'll just use my desktop speakers (might sell the HD6XXs).....{snip}.....I'm running my TEAC 650 CD player directly to the speakers, but I'd like to go through the Modi/Vali, I think I might switch the MBP to USB and use the optical for the CD player ...
Those HD650 clones should fetch a good price (they're going for ~$380 CDN here in Ontario). I understand your desire for isolation... that leads to some heavy duty, deep listening. I've already blown my beer fund... I was considering a modified Fostex (ModHouse Argon Mk2). I balked at the 8-9 week lead-time. My loss...

May 4, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #2,541 of 3,690
Vali 2 was the first headphone amp I ever bought. I think about 3 years ago. It's been with me through it all, since before I even had a DAC. This amp has run about 5 different cans for me, going to be 6 when I try my new Aeolus with it. Right now it is doing a pretty good job with an old pair of AKG K240 Sextetts. I didn't think it could handle these 600 ohm monsters very well, but it sounds pretty damn good. I think the Lyr 3 is better for these cans but Vali 2 is delivering. I paid $169...IMHO the current $149 price is a freaking steal for the sound and versatility it offers. My other AKG, K7XX, is a beautiful match with this amplifier.

May 4, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #2,542 of 3,690
Vali 2 was the first headphone amp I ever bought. I think about 3 years ago. It's been with me through it all, since before I even had a DAC. This amp has run about 5 different cans for me, going to be 6 when I try my new Aeolus with it. Right now it is doing a pretty good job with an old pair of AKG K240 Sextetts. I didn't think it could handle these 600 ohm monsters very well, but it sounds pretty damn good. I think the Lyr 3 is better for these cans but Vali 2 is delivering. I paid $169...IMHO the current $149 price is a freaking steal for the sound and versatility it offers. My other AKG, K7XX, is a beautiful match with this amplifier.
+1

May 5, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,544 of 3,690
The THX 789 is a totally different type of amplifier. It is a balanced (at least in output, not sure if the topology is fully balanced or not) solid state amp. It does not use a tube. I’m not sure if I’ve heard it or not but it will sound different, being a very different design.

Vali 2 is a single ended tube hybrid amp. You can change the tube, or “roll” it, to change the sound signature. It is not going to sound transparent like the 789 is supposed to.

May 5, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #2,545 of 3,690
The THX 789 is a totally different type of amplifier. It is a balanced (at least in output, not sure if the topology is fully balanced or not) solid state amp. It does not use a tube. I’m not sure if I’ve heard it or not but it will sound different, being a very different design.

Vali 2 is a single ended tube hybrid amp. You can change the tube, or “roll” it, to change the sound signature. It is not going to sound transparent like the 789 is supposed to.

Thanks MtnMan.....at the moment I am using Stax L300 earspeaker with 2 type of driver. First one the 252s and the other SRM 007TA tube driver. Comparing this two I would say that I love
the sound from 007TA. Recently I came across Focal Clear hp so was thinking to get an amp for that.
Do you think Vali has enough power to drive the FC?

May 5, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,546 of 3,690
The Focal Clear has an impedance of 55 ohms and a sensitivity of 104 dB. Vali 2 will have no problem at all driving it. I’ve never heard that combo but it should sound at least good.

May 7, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #2,547 of 3,690
Question from a n00b tube roller: How do you swap tubes without fear of breaking your amps?

I use socket savers but I still need to apply some force to push tubes in or pull them out. I'm always afraid I will break something or rip the socket off the board.

May 7, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #2,548 of 3,690
Question from a n00b tube roller: How do you swap tubes without fear of breaking your amps?

I use socket savers but I still need to apply some force to push tubes in or pull them out. I'm always afraid I will break something or rip the socket off the board.
Like you, I'm a nOOb roller. It's cool, have no fear. :ksc75smile:
I learned to do a gentle rocking motion to remove tubes... and a gentle rocking motion to insert them into the sockets. The socket savers might stick on the tube as its pulled out... or it might not. I suspect these sockets are tough -- and also anchored through the red-board (not surface mounted).

May 7, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #2,549 of 3,690
Question from an n00b tube roller: How do you swap tubes without fear of breaking your amps?

Check the socket savers. If you have a difficult time inserting the pins of a tube, one of the sockets may have been collapsed if you pushed the pin in beside the socket instead of in the socket. I speak from experience, pins should slide in and out of the socket saver with ease. As for breaking the glass envelope--they are very strong, not fragile flowers. In order for them to be under vacuum, the glass needs to be strong. This is not to say that you could not break one, I would be looking at the socket saver for a deformed socket.

May 7, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #2,550 of 3,690

Some force is normal, but you shouldn't feel like you have to "force" it if that makes sense. As others have said you might need to rock them back and forth a little bit. Also, hold onto the base when putting them in or taking them out (not the glass). If the base sticks, you can pull the glass off (that's probably the most likely way you'd break a tube without dropping it from some distance on a hard surface).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back