Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,066 of 3,690
  Was about to order the Vali 2 but just saw it's light output in a dark room. Do most people leave the device on or do you guys hit the switch in the back? Does that turn off the light?

Since it's a tube amp, in order to preserve tube life you would turn it off when not using.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #1,067 of 3,690
  Was about to order the Vali 2 but just saw it's light output in a dark room. Do most people leave the device on or do you guys hit the switch in the back? Does that turn off the light?

Not sure if you're referring to the light of the tube or the white LED from the unit itself, but I'm assuming the latter. I was afraid of it too, but it's hardly noticeable, even in a dark room. Then again, it's pretty low in my peripheral vision because of how tall I am. The light of the tube is very faint in comparison to the white LED. I do turn it off when not in use because, well, to save electricity and tube life, so that turns off both lights. It's either both lights or no lights. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,068 of 3,690
  Not sure if you're referring to the light of the tube or the white LED from the unit itself, but I'm assuming the latter. I was afraid of it too, but it's hardly noticeable, even in a dark room. Then again, it's pretty low in my peripheral vision because of how tall I am. The light of the tube is very faint in comparison to the white LED. I do turn it off when not in use because, well, to save electricity and tube life, so that turns off both lights. It's either both lights or no lights. 

Yeah, the white light is really bright, but Schiit sends a pack of black stickers you can put on top of the white LED light in order to mute it.

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #1,069 of 3,690

Yeah, the white light is really bright, but Schiit sends a pack of black stickers you can put on top of the white LED light in order to mute it.

Uh...hmm. Mine didn't come with said stickers. Unless you're mistaking the rubber feet that are supposed to go on the bottom for them. Which did come on an adhesive backing and you have to put on manually. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,070 of 3,690

Yeah, Amazon has dimming stickers.  That's what I use.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dimming+stickers&sprefix=dimming+stickers%2Caps%2C167

Mar 2, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #1,071 of 3,690
  Uh...hmm. Mine didn't come with said stickers. Unless you're mistaking the rubber feet that are supposed to go on the bottom for them. Which did come on an adhesive backing and you have to put on manually. 

Holy crap, those are rubber feet? I thought they were light dimmers. :joy:

Mar 2, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #1,073 of 3,690

Yup I bought these and they do a good job of DIMMING the LED light. I have a Bifrost 4490 and Vali 2 in my bedside setup and these components really lit up our dark bedroom. These dimming stickers do a really good job of blocking out the extreme brightness while still keeping a small amount of soft glow to show which input the 4490 is set at and that the Vali2 is powered on...well I guess the tube does that too. Anyway I recommended these dimming stickers very highly.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #1,074 of 3,690

Yeah, I have no idea why they used such a bright LED. There are so many LED colors available these days as well as padding down the light output using resistors.

You could always de-solder the LED, cut one leg of the LED or cover it with a piece of tape. The first 2 would likely void any claims with Schiit if you had a problem!

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #1,075 of 3,690

Since it's a tube amp, in order to preserve tube life you would turn it off when not using.

Aah okay so it would be turned off anyway. I assume that turning the switch off in the back turns off the white LED?

Wasn't sure if blocking the white led would work because a picture I saw here showed the light coming out the top of the holes, which you absolutely would not want to cover up because of heat dissipation. I just need something to have in my bedroom that won't act like a sun illuminating my room. I abhor LED's on devices now especially things on the Blue side of the light spectrum.

Mar 3, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #1,076 of 3,690
  Aah okay so it would be turned off anyway. I assume that turning the switch off in the back turns off the white LED?

Wasn't sure if blocking the white led would work because a picture I saw here showed the light coming out the top of the holes, which you absolutely would not want to cover up because of heat dissipation. I just need something to have in my bedroom that won't act like a sun illuminating my room. I abhor LED's on devices now especially things on the Blue side of the light spectrum.

Yes, the white LED turns off when you turn off the amp.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #1,078 of 3,690

I don't know what kinda tube came with mine. I think I lucked out though! Now I can understand why people love tube amplifiers. I'm hearing all kinds of stuff that I've never heard in the same music out of my phone or speaker amp jack on my desk.

Mar 4, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,080 of 3,690
  Can anyone recommend a tube that will bring out the low end on my planars? My he-400's bass is weak with the stock tube. 

If you want a good easy to get tube check out the Gold Lion E88CC. If you don't mind spending a little more, it seems the most praised tube is the NOS Amperex 6922 or 7308. I'm using Oppo PM-3 planars with an Amperex JAN 7308 USA and the bass is very good, though the PM-3 are a little easier to drive than the HE-400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back