Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 4, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,081 of 3,690

If you want a good easy to get tube check out the Gold Lion E88CC. If you don't mind spending a little more, it seems the most praised tube is the NOS Amperex 6922 or 7308. I'm using Oppo PM-3 planars with an Amperex JAN 7308 USA and the bass is very good, though the PM-3 are a little easier to drive than the HE-400.

I have the 7308 Amperex (USN-CEP) US and they sound very good with the Vali 2 and HE400S.
 Perhaps one of the better tubes I have tried with the Vali 2 / 400S.

I'm assuming you have checked out the Vali 2 tube rolling thread?

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #1,083 of 3,690
I thought I would post some more on the Matsu****a / National PCC88/7DJ8. Listening to Deluxe Editions of Black Sabbath's first 3 CDs and the Heaven and Hell and Mod Rules CDs. First I'm using HE-400i rev. 2 headphones and Modi 2 Uber DAC for those who have not read my earlier posts. At fist everything sounded closed in and unlively a little. Then boom, just like that everything opened up it seemed like. Wow I like the Vali 2 over my Magni 2 Uber. I love the sound of the Tube. The headphones seem to love it too. Awesome for music and even movies. But saving the tube for music only. Really does something for Ozzy's voice on  the song Solitude from Master Of Reality. Toni's guitar on Sleeping Village is awesome. Tubes really bring something to the GS120 Gibson. I have Ronnie James Dio's last CD Heaven & Hell. Black Sabbath with name change. The acoustic guitar work on Bible Black is smooth like butter. Can hear the strum on the strings. Amazing, going to get another tube when my credit card rebounds from the money I have already spent.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,084 of 3,690
  I thought I would post some more on the Matsu****a / National PCC88/7DJ8. Listening to Deluxe Editions of Black Sabbath's first 3 CDs and the Heaven and Hell and Mod Rules CDs. First I'm using HE-400i rev. 2 headphones and Modi 2 Uber DAC for those who have not read my earlier posts. At fist everything sounded closed in and unlively a little. Then boom, just like that everything opened up it seemed like. Wow I like the Vali 2 over my Magni 2 Uber. I love the sound of the Tube. The headphones seem to love it too. Awesome for music and even movies. But saving the tube for music only. Really does something for Ozzy's voice on  the song Solitude from Master Of Reality. Toni's guitar on Sleeping Village is awesome. Tubes really bring something to the GS120 Gibson. I have Ronnie James Dio's last CD Heaven & Hell. Black Sabbath with name change. The acoustic guitar work on Bible Black is smooth like butter. Can hear the strum on the strings. Amazing, going to get another tube when my credit card rebounds from the money I have already spent.

Good to hear this. I just ordered a pair last night from upscale audio.

Thanks for the impression
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #1,085 of 3,690
Brings out the crunch and the dark details that make Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath. Brings out Vinny Appice on the drums. He really hammers them hard. Seems to me to be a really nice tube for metal.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,086 of 3,690

Good to hear this. I just ordered a pair last night from upscale audio.

Thanks for the impression
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool that is where I got mine. They know how to ship them. I live in Texas so came long way and no breaks. Absolutely perfect. Let me know if you feel the same way about them. Thank you ahead of time.

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,087 of 3,690

So now I'm going to have to go back and listen to my Matsush!ta / National PCC88/7DJ8 again! Lol.  My BEL E88CC trumped it by a good margin when I compared them.  And that's all I've been listening to for weeks!  I got them at the same time. Maybe it needs more break-in time. I'm gonna go fire it up. :wink:

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #1,088 of 3,690
Has anyone had issues powering the vali 2? I just received mine in the mail a few days ago from another head-fi user. It turned off on its own while I was listening and now it wont turn back on. I've tried multiple sockets. 

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #1,089 of 3,690
  Has anyone had issues powering the vali 2? I just received mine in the mail a few days ago from another head-fi user. It turned off on its own while I was listening and now it wont turn back on. I've tried multiple sockets. 

I had that problem with a different amp and the power supply was failing. In my case it was due to using a tube that was drawing too much current for the power supply but any failure of power supply would cause the amp to go off. I would contact Schiit, it maybe a fuse or something has blown. In the UK there is a fuse in the wall socket plug that sometimes blows in these circumstances and is easily changed.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #1,090 of 3,690
I had an interesting thing happen while listening to my Vali 2 last night. I was getting ready for a listening session having just turned on the V2 as well as my source X5ii (coaxial out into Bifrost 4490 into V2). The X5ii was in pause mode. I reached over to adjust the volume knob on the Vali 2 and accidentally brushed/bumped the flat portion of my fingernail against the volume knob. This contact amplified a funny metallic sound into my headphones. I intentionally kept tapping the volume knob and it kept amplifying this metallic sound into my headphones. I'm not sure if this sound was the tube ringing caused by the unit vibrating when I tapped the volume knob or what. In any event it was an interesting experience. I wouldn't have noticed this had the player not have been in pause mode.

I had the stock Sylvania tube in the V2 when this occurred (which is my favorite tube by the way). I tried my JJ E88C and Electro Harmonix 6922EH tubes but I couldn't reproduce this amplified metallic sound.

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,091 of 3,690
I had an interesting thing happen while listening to my Vali 2 last night. I was getting ready for a listening session having just turned on the V2 as well as my source X5ii (coaxial out into Bifrost 4490 into V2). The X5ii was in pause mode. I reached over to adjust the volume knob on the Vali 2 and accidentally brushed/bumped the flat portion of my fingernail against the volume knob. This contact amplified a funny metallic sound into my headphones. I intentionally kept tapping the volume knob and it kept amplifying this metallic sound into my headphones. I'm not sure if this sound was the tube ringing caused by the unit vibrating when I tapped the volume knob or what. In any event it was an interesting experience. I wouldn't have noticed this had the player not have been in pause mode.

I had the stock Sylvania tube in the V2 when this occurred (which is my favorite tube by the way). I tried my JJ E88C and Electro Harmonix 6922EH tubes but I couldn't reproduce this amplified metallic sound.

Microphonic stock tube?

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #1,092 of 3,690

Microphonic stock tube?

Absolutely microphonics.  There shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't go beyond what is described.  A microphonic tube is disappointing, but if it sounds good - keep it.

You can try some tube rings or perhaps some additional padding under the amp to ensure that it doesn't invade into your music.

Good thing you're talking about the Vali 2.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #1,093 of 3,690

Absolutely microphonics.  There's shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't go beyond what is described.  A microphonic tube is disappointing, but if it sounds good - keep it.

You can try some tube rings or perhaps some additional padding under the amp to ensure that it doesn't invade into your music.

Good thing you're talking about the Vali 2.

Many of my best sounding tubes are microphonic as long as they are silent when listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back