Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,097 of 3,690

Absolutely microphonics.  There's shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't go beyond what is described.  A microphonic tube is disappointing, but if it sounds good - keep it.

You can try some tube rings or perhaps some additional padding under the amp to ensure that it doesn't invade into your music.

Good thing you're talking about the Vali 2.

It only does that when I tap the volume knob and that was totally by accident.  I just tried it again and it only happens when I tap the side of the volume knob, it's totally quiet if I tap the front of the knob.  I gently tapped the tube itself with my fingernail and it made the same metallic sound.  While I was at it I tapped the Vali 2 body in various locations and there was no microphonics.  Just to put things into perspective, I need to intentionally tap the volume knob in a specific location to get this sound and the sound is very faint.  While playing music I can't hear any microphonics when trying to intentionally recreate this sound.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,098 of 3,690
  It only does that when I tap the volume knob and that was totally by accident.  I just tried it again and it only happens when I tap the side of the volume knob, it's totally quiet if I tap the front of the knob.  I gently tapped the tube itself with my fingernail and it made the same metallic sound.  While I was at it I tapped the Vali 2 body in various locations and there was no microphonics.  Just to put things into perspective, I need to intentionally tap the volume knob in a specific location to get this sound and the sound is very faint.  While playing music I can't hear any microphonics when trying to intentionally recreate this sound.

Yep, that is a microphonic tube....but in truth, ALL tubes are microphonic, it's just to what degree.

I have, use and like a lot of microphonic tubes and do so w/o issues.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #1,099 of 3,690
  I thought I would post some more on the Matsu****a / National PCC88/7DJ8. Listening to Deluxe Editions of Black Sabbath's first 3 CDs and the Heaven and Hell and Mod Rules CDs. First I'm using HE-400i rev. 2 headphones and Modi 2 Uber DAC for those who have not read my earlier posts. At fist everything sounded closed in and unlively a little. Then boom, just like that everything opened up it seemed like. Wow I like the Vali 2 over my Magni 2 Uber. I love the sound of the Tube. The headphones seem to love it too. Awesome for music and even movies. But saving the tube for music only. Really does something for Ozzy's voice on  the song Solitude from Master Of Reality. Toni's guitar on Sleeping Village is awesome. Tubes really bring something to the GS120 Gibson. I have Ronnie James Dio's last CD Heaven & Hell. Black Sabbath with name change. The acoustic guitar work on Bible Black is smooth like butter. Can hear the strum on the strings. Amazing, going to get another tube when my credit card rebounds from the money I have already spent.

So now I'm going to have to go back and listen to my Matsush!ta / National PCC88/7DJ8 again! Lol.  My BEL E88CC trumped it by a good margin when I compared them.  And that's all I've been listening to for weeks!  I got them at the same time. Maybe it needs more break-in time. I'm gonna go fire it up. :wink:

So I went back and gave the National Matsush!ta another go.  I've been rockin' the BEL E88CC. (w/ HE400i)

These comparisons are to each other as well as what I hear. And my assessments mirror my thoughts when I compared them before earlier in the thread a few weeks ago.

Matsush!ta National 7DJ8 - A little sharper sounding, faster, but that translates to a nice soundstage.  Vocals not as full sounding.  Overall it just has a slightly thinner presentation.  Somewhat metallic.. like.. maybe..?

BEL E88CC - A bit warmer overall, bass is a little more filling with slightly more kick, vocals are more natural sounding & larger, slightly more airy overall also.  I can't say that it has a larger soundstage, it doesn't really.  It's a bit hard to explain, but the sound that it produces sounds bigger, fuller. It has more presence, but yet still spacial.  Rich sounding, lush, I guess.  Which all equates to sounding more musical to me.  More euphoric. 

Detail on both are nice.  If I hadn't gotten the BEL at the same time as the National, I probably would have been perfectly content with the National.  It is certainly a nice sounding tube for sure.  But, things are as they are so, I have to be using the BEL or I won't be content knowing I'm not getting the best sound out of the Vali 2 with the selection that I have.  Lets see, I also have the stock 6BQ7A tube, an EH 6922, EH 6CG7, JJ6922/E88CC, and a Tesla E88CC.

Not to say that others wouldn't prefer the National.  Different headphones and personal tastes would apply.  

But to my ears and on my setup, I prefer (love) the BEL E88CC to all the above tubes.  And it's not a hard decision at all. Highly recommended.

Mar 5, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,100 of 3,690
There is a review on the homepage driving the he1000s if I remember correctly. My he400 is driven fine, I use high gain and never go past 12 o'clock. Low gain is great but the bass has less impact

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,101 of 3,690

Absolutely microphonics.  There's shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't go beyond what is described.  A microphonic tube is disappointing, but if it sounds good - keep it.

You can try some tube rings or perhaps some additional padding under the amp to ensure that it doesn't invade into your music.

Good thing you're talking about the Vali 2.

As noted in several posts you have received, yours must be a mildly microphonic tube.

Keep in mind that there are microphonic tubes out there that never stop ringing.  A single tap anywhere in the vicinity can result in ringing that lasts for several minutes, effectively rendering the tube totally useless.  There are entire lineups of tube types that may have inherent microphonics.  Selecting from such a tube family means the worst case is a much greater occurrence than with a higher-quality, audio tube family.

It doesn't seem like you have anything to worry about, though.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #1,102 of 3,690
What should my volume knob be at for pre-amp use? I'm thinking about plugging it into my power amp to add some tube warmth to the DAC. I was thinking the volume should be at 80-90%, or is it better to run the vali 2 at 100% volume for pre-amp use? I'm pretty sure you want the hottest clean signal possible going to the power amp.

I have been discussing volume levels with a very trusted audio friend.
In my case, Software player volume is at 100% on my Mac > DAC volume is at 100% (important) > Vali 2 (this preamp used as main volume control) > main tube amp volume 100% (the main tube amp sounds best when running at 100%). I get absolutely no distortion, even at the loudest volume levels my ears can take.

That is what has been recommended to me (runing everything at 100% & using the Vali 2 as the master volume control), I have tested it with my equipment (passive desktop speakers) and I am very happy.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,103 of 3,690
  I have been discussing volume levels with a very trusted audio friend.
In my case, Software player volume is at 100% on my Mac > DAC volume is at 100% (important) > Vali 2 (this preamp used as main volume control) > main tube amp volume 100% (the main tube amp sounds best when running at 100%). I get absolutely no distortion, even at the loudest volume levels my ears can take.

That is what has been recommended to me (runing everything at 100% & using the Vali 2 as the master volume control), I have tested it with my equipment (passive desktop speakers) and I am very happy.

That sounds like a good strategy for your setup. I want to use my Power Amp's volume knob (mostly because it has an IR remote) for my home theater, so I would just set the vali 2 to a certain volume and leave it there. I haven't taken my Vali 2 home yet to test it out for this purpose (I use it at work for headphones) but I'm debating getting another Vali 2 for the house. I just need to decide what kind of headphones I want at home to make sure the Vali 2 will be appropriate. What a sweet little amp though.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #1,109 of 3,690
Does anyone listen to their Fidelio X2s on Hi Gain? I feel it brings out the bass and mids more than Lo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back