Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 3, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #452 of 3,690
At some point...like this summer when I have the time I will try ripping my cds to flac...I have around 450, so it will take a good while. It would be nice to have a digital copy of all my musi for backup.

In the meantime...does anyone have any good recommendations for a sub $300 CD player? Or am I just better off using my cheap blu Ray through my modi (which I'm currently doing.) I'm sort of under the impression that digital out is digital out and your dac won't know the difference between blu Ray or CD?

Guess I just need to roll up my sleeves and convert them all to flac. I need someone here with common sense to make the decision for me. I think the 320 stream sounded scrappy because it was spitify from iPod streamed over airplay to Apple tv to dac...just a hunch !!

Painted klown please help me out.

Onkyo c-7030...check it out on Amazon. Great reviews. I have it and love it. Great onboard Wolfson dac. About $180.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #453 of 3,690
I'm attempting some lossless rips right now. But my ancient CD/DVD drive doesn't eject very well.

Anyone got advice for a portable usb input CD burner for computer.

Sorry. I'm probably derailing this thread..... Will listen to my wma lossless in a bit. Hoping I can't tell a difference with CD.

I really appreciate the helpful feedback. I would have never in a million year's thought to rip music. Not that I'm that behind the times, but mp3s always sounded like crap to me. I'm used to 128 crap quality. This totally changes my game plan altogether.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #454 of 3,690
I'm attempting some lossless rips right now. But my ancient CD/DVD drive doesn't eject very well.

Anyone got advice for a portable CD burner for computer.

Sorry. I'm probably derailing this thread..... Will listen to my wma lossless in a bit. Hoping I can't tell a difference with CD.

I use dbPoweramp to rip cds to flac/alac. Not sure how good lossless wma sounds as I have never used it.
Here's a link to a decent drive for cheap.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #455 of 3,690
I tried Windows media lossless. Got a few put on the computer, put them on a flash, and plugged into my cheaply made blu Ray player.....I'm sure you know where I'm going with this....my blu Ray wouldn't read it. But at least I get the gist.

Here's my question....what can I use to store and play flac files through my modi besides my computer....or do you have to do that? I would like to have a portable drive for the music but am wondering if there's a way to run that to a dac without the use of the computer?
I read squeezebox..but from 2012. I need to get with the times!!!!

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #456 of 3,690
  Onkyo c-7030...check it out on Amazon. Great reviews. I have it and love it. Great onboard Wolfson dac. About $180.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will look into this one as I am already an Onkyo fan.  A friend needs a new CD player for home use with a smaller footprint than this and digital outputs so any thoughts from all here would be welcome.

The Toad

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #457 of 3,690

Big and small, just for fun:

What are the metal clips you have on some of the tubes and the headphone cable end?

Herbies Tube Dampers. They have cable dampers as well, which I was trying experimentally. Since I still had them, i just put them on the HP cables, though they are more useful at the moment stopping the cable rolling off my desk when unplugged!  I also only have two dampers on the right-hand tube because I was too lazy to put the second one back in my drawer.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #458 of 3,690
Herbie makes great stuff as shown above.  Highly recommended.  They're just not needed for my submini 6088s in my Vali :)

BTW there's even Herbie's AudioLab HAL-O Jr damper for tonearms (shown here on my table):

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #459 of 3,690
Herbie makes great stuff as shown above.  Highly recommended.  They're just not needed for my submini 6088s in my Vali :)

BTW there's even Herbie's AudioLab HAL-O Jr damper for tonearms (shown here on my table):

I'm guessing the dampers help reduce microphonics?

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #461 of 3,690
Back on track...

What can't it do, low gain and no discernible noise floor! 

Surprisingly good pairing!

Note: After a few weeks, I feel the amp/tube is still opening up.

Without using too much "audiophile" terms, the music is flowing much more effortlessly while still showing an admirable amount of technical prowess!

Like a fine wine!

Jan 4, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #463 of 3,690

Note the ridiculous size of the 6CG7.  Most impressive.  The 5670W JAN tubes are quite tiny.  I imagine that removing with having a socket saver in place might be an exercise in patience.  I've listened to the new 6CG7 EH right out of the box with a little warm up and it sounds good.  Won't say more until I let it burn in this week.  So far so good.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #464 of 3,690

Note the ridiculous size of the 6CG7.  Most impressive.  The 5670W JAN tubes are quite tiny.  I imagine that removing with having a socket saver in place might be an exercise in patience.  I've listened to the new 6CG7 EH right out of the box with a little warm up and it sounds good.  Won't say more until I let it burn in this week.  So far so good.

Doesn't the 5670 have different pinouts?  It's my understanding you need an adapter to run them.  Be careful.

Jan 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #465 of 3,690
I want to start investigating tubes and the Vali 2 is on top of my wishlist.
Since I mostly own IEMs, is the Vali 2 usable with IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back