Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #481 of 3,690
Thanks for the reply mate, got on to Schiit via email and they seem to be not so keen on the tube series and just keep what they recommend on the site.

I quoate:

"We recommend sticking with the 6DJ8 and other compatible tube listed on the product page for proper operation."
  Nick T
Schiit Tech

Hrmmmm...not sure on this now!

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #482 of 3,690
  Thanks for the reply mate, got on to Schiit via email and they seem to be not so keen on the tube series and just keep what they recommend on the site.

I quoate:

"We recommend sticking with the 6DJ8 and other compatible tube listed on the product page for proper operation."
  Nick T
Schiit Tech

Hrmmmm...not sure on this now!

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #483 of 3,690
ROFL, can of worms we have uncovered!!

Cheers Vince!

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #484 of 3,690

My Vali2 arrived yesterday.  First I will burn it and the stock tube in for 2 straight days.  Then I'll insert it into my main 2 channel rig, which includes the Bifrost Uber to see how the Vali2 sounds.  Very early impressions on my alternate rig are...
beyersmile.png

My 4490 upgrade board for the Bifrost should be arriving today or tomorrow but I'll hold off with the installation until I have had ample time to hear the Vali2/Bifrost Uber combo against my current headphone amp, the Lake People G109S/Bifrost Uber combo.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #485 of 3,690

Doesn't the 5670 have different pinouts?  It's my understanding you need an adapter to run them.  Be careful.

Tis true. In my initial flury of head-scratching about tubes that could work I overlooked that fact. Still looks like a fun little preamp tube for the $5 you find em for, I'll just buy the poor sod a case of beer and use the 5670's somewhere along the way.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #486 of 3,690
  My Vali2 arrived yesterday.  First I will burn it and the stock tube in for 2 straight days.  Then I'll insert it into my main 2 channel rig, which includes the Bifrost Uber to see how the Vali2 sounds.  Very early impressions on my alternate rig are...
beyersmile.png

My 4490 upgrade board for the Bifrost should be arriving today or tomorrow but I'll hold off with the installation until I have had ample time to hear the Vali2/Bifrost Uber combo against my current headphone amp, the Lake People G109S/Bifrost Uber combo.

I'm very curious what you think, once you upgrade to the 4490.
It's been difficult to locate someone who has heard both the Uber and 4490.
I upgraded from Uber to Bifrost, and so did everyone else I know locally.
But I suspect, from having heard the 4490 in other implementations, it is a significant upgrade too.

I'm not using the Bifrost, but I am using a 4490 chip from m9xx into my Vali 2.

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #487 of 3,690
I just ordered one of these. It'll be my first piece of Schiit gear. I'm looking forward to trying out a few different tubes, although for the moment I'll just use the stock and see how I like it.

I'm planning on getting a Gumby in May, I heard that's very resolving, sometimes to a fault, so I figured a tube amp like this might help smooth things out just a bit.

Either way, I'm looking forward to playing with it, especially with my Grado 225e!

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #490 of 3,690
well I'm going to open up a can of worms here 

how many of you guys have purchased the Vali 2, as your first Hybrid Tube? 

I did.
Originally I was going for the Project Ember but decided to go with the Vali2, however may still get the Ember at a later date. The Vali2 was a relatively inexpensive way to introduce myself to a tube hybrid amp.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #491 of 3,690
  I have a tube pre-amp in my analog vinyl chain, but this is my first tube hybrid headphone amp.

I doubt I'll get a bunch of people to answer

non the less, my point  I've had both the Schiit Vali 2 an Garage 1217 Starlight II [there's a mouthful lol] an after a few weeks with them both, I really preffering the Starlight II in terms of sound quality

though what I've found with that particullar amp is... it's very finnicky, while one it hand yes it sounds better than the Vali, on the other hand if you didn't set the bias right or you have the output impedance incorrect then it sounds rather poor

That said, I'm starting to see the Vali 2 as a very good option for your first tube! It's powerful, inexpensive, has both input an outputs in case you'd like to use it with like speakers, an gives you teh chance to roll tubes!

Though compared to another Hybrid in the same price range, while it falls short on overall sound quality. It makes up for simply because it's 100% plug an play! Yea it sounds better after it warms up, but it's a very easy amp to own! Where as my StarLight II... ugh I spent like an hour fine tuning the bias [twice] an another figuring out which OutPut resistance sounded best with my Dac/Headphones xD 

Either way, I think for those of you who've purchased the Vali 2 as your first hybrid tube. Your In for a treat an you made a very smart move! 

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #492 of 3,690
This one is my second. My first was a hybrid tube amp made by a member of headfi a while back, which I don't think is around any more!

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #493 of 3,690
  I doubt I'll get a bunch of people to answer

non the less, my point  I've had both the Schiit Vali 2 an Garage 1217 Starlight II [there's a mouthful lol] an after a few weeks with them both, I really preffering the Starlight II in terms of sound quality

though what I've found with that particullar amp is... it's very finnicky, while one it hand yes it sounds better than the Vali, on the other hand if you didn't set the bias right or you have the output impedance incorrect then it sounds rather poor

That said, I'm starting to see the Vali 2 as a very good option for your first tube! It's powerful, inexpensive, has both input an outputs in case you'd like to use it with like speakers, an gives you teh chance to roll tubes!

Though compared to another Hybrid in the same price range, while it falls short on overall sound quality. It makes up for simply because it's 100% plug an play! Yea it sounds better after it warms up, but it's a very easy amp to own! Where as my StarLight II... ugh I spent like an hour fine tuning the bias [twice] an another figuring out which OutPut resistance sounded best with my Dac/Headphones xD 

Either way, I think for those of you who've purchased the Vali 2 as your first hybrid tube. Your In for a treat an you made a very smart move! 

Awesome! I definitely don't want something finicky to start out. Really looking forward to putting the Vali 2 through its paces.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #494 of 3,690
This one is my second. My first was a hybrid tube amp made by a member of headfi a while back, which I don't think is around any more!

I did.
Originally I was going for the Project Ember but decided to go with the Vali2, however may still get the Ember at a later date. The Vali2 was a relatively inexpensive way to introduce myself to a tube hybrid amp.

Given the price an the ease of ownership, I think the Vali 2 is a great way to start. Though if you'r looking to upgrade the Ember 2 would be the way to go imo

Awesome! I definitely don't want something finicky to start out. Really looking forward to putting the Vali 2 through its paces.

Hahaha, honestly I... had to SOLVE the puzzle that was tube amps. I must have bought like 3 multi meters the first time I tried to "roll" a tube into my little Indeed G3 back in the day

Ahh but yea, the Vali 2 is a VERY easy way to get into tubes 

But amps like the Garage 1217 [Also the LEGENDARY Blue Hawaii Tube also needs manual Bias Adjustments] an other finicky tube amps are WELL worth the time an attention they require, though you need to like how tubes sound in general before you can really enjoy devoting the time an energy needed owning an rolling them 

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #495 of 3,690

Hahaha, honestly I... had to SOLVE the puzzle that was tube amps. I must have bought like 3 multi meters the first time I tried to "roll" a tube into my little Indeed G3 back in the day

Ahh but yea, the Vali 2 is a VERY easy way to get into tubes 

But amps like the Garage 1217 [Also the LEGENDARY Blue Hawaii Tube also needs manual Bias Adjustments] an other finicky tube amps are WELL worth the time an attention they require, though you need to like how tubes sound in general before you can really enjoy devoting the time an energy needed owning an rolling them 

It sounds like if anything is going to get me into tubes, it'll be the Vali. Then I can decide if it's worth it to try my hand at some of the more finicky amps.

Is the Mjolnir 2 more and less plug and play as well? I know it's higher end, but I haven't heard much about it being tough to handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back