Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 30, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #1,210 of 3,690
  Does the vali 2 adequately power the HD-650's? Torn between this and the valhalla 2.. Don't want to spend that much money if it is a "slight" upgrade!

Both the Vali 2 and Valhalla 2 will more than adequately power HD-650's (true of pretty much any schiit amp except maybe the fulla)

As to whether the Valhalla 2 is worth the price is something only you can answer.

I should note that Valhalla is not just a "big" Vali. Valhalla and Vali are different types of amps (all tube vs tube hybrid). There's lots of information about both on the schiit website and in this thread.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #1,212 of 3,690
Does the vali 2 adequately power the HD-650's? Torn between this and the valhalla 2.. Don't want to spend that much money if it is a "slight" upgrade!

For me, the Valhalla 2 did make a difference for the HD650. It could depend on the tube but I noticed a clear improvement in the low end and soundstage.
The soundstage was huge.

But the Vali 2 is still a great amp to roll tubes and pair with lower impedence headphones.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,213 of 3,690

For my lower recorded level, higher dynamic, Classical music the Vali2, on high gain, is just adequate but no more with the HD650, and there is little or no headroom. I have the vol pot almost at full turn, at around 3-4pm for most of my Classical music, for realistic level listening. This is using 6DJ8 tubes. 
Compared to the Project Starlight, which has a bit less output power, the Vali2 does not apparently go as loud, using the same tube. The Starlight has a slightly lower output impedance compared to the Vali2, which might possibly explain some of the difference.
Overall, I prefer the Starlight for Classical, but the Vali2 should be adequate for most modern genres with the HD650. (My daughter's boy friend's Rammstein CD is certainly powered well enough)

Mar 31, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #1,215 of 3,690
I think the Rammstein CD's come with their own amplifier encoded on the disk. :)

They spontaneously combust too, right in your ears 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back