Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Mar 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #1,186 of 3,690
Oh OK, thank you.  That is actually one of the few places I did look.  For some reason those Neutrik/Rean connectors looked bigger/longer in the pictures on there so I passed on them.  Might need to place an order later today. 

The module weight/available cables is one of my only complaints with the Modi/Vali combo and i am sure the Modi/Magni has the same issue.  Short RCA cables, with any sort of decent quality build materials are usually larger diameter wire thats very stiff and springy.  This leads to the wires having a tendency to move my stack around and get them out of that perfect alignment every time I touch them or move the stack every so slightly.  This in turn drives my OCD into overdrive and I have to spend 5 minutes getting the correct bend in the cable in order to line everything back up to make it a perfectly straight stack again.  The cogs are turning on a way to affix the Modi/Vali or Modi/Magni with a little more rigidity so I dont have to rely on gravity and friction alone.  Using a smaller gauge, shorter run (6in max), home made cable like you have made should help with this quite a bit.  I would still like to have some kind of mechanical attachment that holds the pair together.  Either way, making new cables is a step in the right direction.  

My only concern with a mechanical "frame" is grounding.  I dont think it is a huge concern but if I used metal it could potentially create some extra noise if the frame is not grounded.  I have thought about using acetal or some other plastic, maybe a block of PTFE but that could get expensive pretty quickly.  I have some CAD drawings of a couple different ways of doing this, just need to get the old mill fired up an make a couple of them and see which ones work the best.  There just isnt enough time in a day to do everything I want to do, stupid work and sleep take up way too much of it!! The OEM should go ahead and make one so they can keep their Schiit Straight!!!  <---(Check it out, my bad pun game is on point today!!)  Then I could just buy one and not have to make it myself.  Hint Hint!!  I think people would gladly purchase it for 10 or 15 bucks to keep their stacks from sliding all over the desk every time they touch it.  This might not completely solve the issue but is a step in the right direction. The little rubber feet just dont cut the mustard, or maybe I just need to cut back on the furniture polish.    

Mar 23, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #1,187 of 3,690
Oh OK, thank you.  That is actually one of the few places I did look.  For some reason those Neutrik/Rean connectors looked bigger/longer in the pictures on there so I passed on them.  Might need to place an order later today. 

The module weight/available cables is one of my only complaints with the Modi/Vali combo and i am sure the Modi/Magni has the same issue.  Short RCA cables, with any sort of decent quality build materials are usually larger diameter wire thats very stiff and springy.  This leads to the wires having a tendency to move my stack around and get them out of that perfect alignment every time I touch them or move the stack every so slightly.  This in turn drives my OCD into overdrive and I have to spend 5 minutes getting the correct bend in the cable in order to line everything back up to make it a perfectly straight stack again.  The cogs are turning on a way to affix the Modi/Vali or Modi/Magni with a little more rigidity so I dont have to rely on gravity and friction alone.  Using a smaller gauge, shorter run (6in max), home made cable like you have made should help with this quite a bit.  I would still like to have some kind of mechanical attachment that holds the pair together.  Either way, making new cables is a step in the right direction.  

My only concern with a mechanical "frame" is grounding.  I dont think it is a huge concern but if I used metal it could potentially create some extra noise if the frame is not grounded.  I have thought about using acetal or some other plastic, maybe a block of PTFE but that could get expensive pretty quickly.  I have some CAD drawings of a couple different ways of doing this, just need to get the old mill fired up an make a couple of them and see which ones work the best.  There just isnt enough time in a day to do everything I want to do, stupid work and sleep take up way too much of it!! The OEM should go ahead and make one so they can keep their Schiit Straight!!!  <---(Check it out, my bad pun game is on point today!!)  Then I could just buy one and not have to make it myself.  Hint Hint!!  I think people would gladly purchase it for 10 or 15 bucks to keep their stacks from sliding all over the desk every time they touch it.  This might not completely solve the issue but is a step in the right direction. The little rubber feet just dont cut the mustard, or maybe I just need to cut back on the furniture polish.    

For short interconnects just use an elastic band to keep the cables nicely folded. Keeps "The Stack" nicely aligned.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,188 of 3,690
For short interconnects just use an elastic band to keep the cables nicely folded. Keeps "The Stack" nicely aligned.

Brilliant. I think it was DaVinci that said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" or something along those lines. I had tried zip ties but that didnt allow the wires to give any so the stack still slid around. I never thought about using a rubber band though,i will give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion. You might have just saved me from countless hours of having to look at a crooked stack. I would go with the "spread" option and eliminate this conundrum all together but that doesn't work on my desk. I don't know why but it really bugs me!

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #1,189 of 3,690
Brilliant. I think it was DaVinci that said "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" or something along those lines. I had tried zip ties but that didnt allow the wires to give any so the stack still slid around. I never thought about using a rubber band though,i will give it a try when I get home. Thanks for the suggestion. You might have just saved me from countless hours of having to look at a crooked stack. I would go with the "spread" option and eliminate this conundrum all together but that doesn't work on my desk. I don't know why but it really bugs me!

I can't take credit for the rubber band idea...I saw it on YouTube being done by no other than the experts themselves, namely Mike & Jason.

Mar 23, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,190 of 3,690
  The cogs are turning on a way to affix the Modi/Vali or Modi/Magni with a little more rigidity so I dont have to rely on gravity and friction alone.  

Ask and you shall receive... Schiit bridge.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,191 of 3,690
  Ask and you shall receive... Schiit bridge.

25 bucks shipped, thats definitely worth checking out.  Its the exact opposite of what I was envisioning as a solution too.  Thats the old two birds one stone thing there.  Make the connection and providing mechanical rigidity at the same time.  I cant see any reason why it would degrade the sound quality unless its extremely low build quality.  Even then its what, maybe a 25-30mm trace between jacks?  How much noise could it honestly pick up in that short of a run under normal listening conditions.  Yea sure, you could set it beside a big 3 phase motor and maybe run into an ambient EMI issue but thats not a normal condition in my opinion.  

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,192 of 3,690
  25 bucks shipped, thats definitely worth checking out.  Its the exact opposite of what I was envisioning as a solution too.  Thats the old two birds one stone thing there.  Make the connection and providing mechanical rigidity at the same time.  I cant see any reason why it would degrade the sound quality unless its extremely low build quality.  Even then its what, maybe a 25-30mm trace between jacks?  How much noise could it honestly pick up in that short of a run under normal listening conditions.  Yea sure, you could set it beside a big 3 phase motor and maybe run into an ambient EMI issue but thats not a normal condition in my opinion.  

Better to use reasonable quality right angled RCA plugs, maybe something like these: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/components/connectors/rca-phono-plugs/switchcraft

You will need to check the length of the RCA plug housing, maybe you can find something shorter, or just use them in an arc shape.

Find a good quality shielded cable, connect the shield braid to the cold connector ONLY at one side, specifically at the amp side (this should give you an effective noise shield)
wink_face.gif

Personally I would go for flexible cable like Klotz MC5000 & MS Audio Star Line, Silver Plated RCA plugs.  Great price, excellent quality, one of the best sounding DIY interconnect cables out there.

I hope it is ok to link to another audio forum?
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?33332-MS-Audio-Klotz-MC5000-interconnects-build-offer-for-all-AoS-members

Mar 23, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,193 of 3,690

Well, that's the one I got, yes.

This is EXCITING!

Just found out some interesting news. I'm a bit tired of switching outputs on my PC (USB for A2+ and Optical for Modi), so I contacted Schiit and found out I could use the "SYS" in reverse. If I leave the volume on full, I can output via Optical from the PC into the Modi. Then from Modi into SYS, from SYS I can have it go to my Vali & A2+. I didn't want to use the Pre-outs on the Vali, as I didn't want to burn out the tube from it always being on while I'm at my desk (and I typically listen to the speakers more than my headphones).

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #1,196 of 3,690
Happy to report that after a few days of burn-in, my EI Philips PCC88 has really opened up, particularly the bass. I would almost describe it as a little more scooped than the stock tube, but not so much so that the mids get lost. They still shine through, even though the top end is brighter than the stock. I notice a bit more clarity and detail in the instrument separation, particularly for orchestral music, and a slightly bigger soundstage, though not by much. 

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,197 of 3,690
I also use a sys in reverse as a switch between my headphone amps and my speaker amp.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #1,198 of 3,690
What's the clipping point of the Vali 2? I have a variable DAC that I'm using as a preamp, so I've set the Vali 2 at 50% volume, and I'm using the DAC as the actual volume knob (it's analogue). The DAC outputs a max of 2V on the RCA jacks, so I'm lowering that to ... something lower (it's a DacMini, so 2 O'clock is the supposed "unity gain"). Is this a good way to do things? Should I have the volume on the Vali higher or lower?

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #1,200 of 3,690
@WayTooCrazy
Very nice. Where did you get those Rca connectors? I have the wire and everything ready to go but can't find connectors.

Full disclosure: I haven't looked very hard at all.
smily_headphones1.gif
Been busy with other things.

Redco no longer carries them in black/gold (Jerks!), but Mouser does!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back