Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 17, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #3,017 of 3,702
My Vali 2 noise floor is a little tube dependent. Right now, I'm trying a 6N1P tube in there, and it is pretty sensitive to every little bit of noise. The 6922 I had in there before was quieter, but it was also more boring. The 6N1P has more resolution without being fatiguing. Still looking for the ideal tube. I didn't love the stock tube - maybe a bad one.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have always liked the sound of the amp, and a little hum doesn't bother me. At the moment, I'd rank them just like I described. It'd be nice to find a tube a little less microphonic than the 6N1P - I suspect they're all a little bit that way - that sounds as good.

Feb 17, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #3,018 of 3,702
My Vali 2 noise floor is a little tube dependent. Right now, I'm trying a 6N1P tube in there, and it is pretty sensitive to every little bit of noise. The 6922 I had in there before was quieter, but it was also more boring. The 6N1P has more resolution without being fatiguing. Still looking for the ideal tube. I didn't love the stock tube - maybe a bad one.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have always liked the sound of the amp, and a little hum doesn't bother me. At the moment, I'd rank them just like I described. It'd be nice to find a tube a little less microphonic than the 6N1P - I suspect they're all a little bit that way - that sounds as good.
My favorite for a couple years was the new production EH 6cg7 (out of what I had tried; I don't spend big on tubes for a $100 amp) until I tried my new favorite, the GE 5670W. Cheap as well, though they do require an adapter.

Feb 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #3,019 of 3,702

My understanding is noise & microphonic are very tube specific. You might be able to get an identical 6n1p and it'll be silent. FWIW, if you're looking at Russian/Soviet tubes you should get the military spec tubes (-ev -ep, something like that) for lower noise.

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #3,020 of 3,702
Tube construction has ALOT to do with whether a tube tends to be microphonic or sensitive.
The element that are inside the tube are mechanical structures that are mounted in the glass base and soldered to the pins in the base as well.
The length, geometry and construction all can make a tube more or less sensitive....
It happens in all types of tubes to some extent.
Add the heat temps and heating and cooling cycles its amazing they work as well as they do.

When you get a solid tube....save that one and enjoy!

May 1, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #3,021 of 3,702
Hi All, Schiit Vali 2 bundle listed in classifieds, EU sale only :wink:.

May 2, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #3,022 of 3,702
Just got a new Vali 2 'bout a month ago. My 1st listening impression with the stock tube was "Gad...they weren't kidding when they said it had a lot more distortion than their Magni 3 +!" A lot like my Asgard 2 as to overall warmth, but with a layer of crud over it. Adding the GE 5670 tube with adapter cleaned this right up! Pretty close to my Asgard 2, now. Not gonna go much further down the tube rolling rabbit hole until I see where the global tube market is going...probably won't regardless. It's a nice little tube hybrid at this price point, but it is what it is....

May 2, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #3,023 of 3,702
Just got a new Vali 2 'bout a month ago. My 1st listening impression with the stock tube was "Gad...they weren't kidding when they said it had a lot more distortion than their Magni 3 +!" A lot like my Asgard 2 as to overall warmth, but with a layer of crud over it. Adding the GE 5670 tube with adapter cleaned this right up! Pretty close to my Asgard 2, now. Not gonna go much further down the tube rolling rabbit hole until I see where the global tube market is going...probably won't regardless. It's a nice little tube hybrid at this price point, but it is what it is....
LOL!

Wait for a few years after spending lots of bucks on amps and stuff...and then come back to this little amp.....

May 2, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,028 of 3,702
Mullard ecc84 with appropriate adapter. $10 and $5 plus postage iirc, under $30 arrives in 2 and 3 weeks.
Foton 6N8S (6SN7 equivalent) with suitable adapter.

May 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #3,029 of 3,702
How important are balanced triodes for the Vali 2+? I have a couple tubes to choose from. One E88CC has 8% matched triodes and the other is about 1%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back