Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 26, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #2,986 of 3,690
I have a Computer > Modi 3+> Vali 2+> Klipsch powered speakers. I use it for online concerts and playing ripped files. The addition of the Vali in front of the powered Klipsch speakers was noticeable, but subtle. The sound became "smoother." I do not know how to define "smoother", but that is what happened. I started with the original tube and then rolled it to an Electro-Harmonix E88CC. That change was also subtle, the upper bass notes (trombone, or the lower strings on a 6-string guitar) became clearer. I did not notice any other effect.

I have also used the combination CD player > Modi 3+> Vali 2+ > Ancient Magnavox tube amp. I eventually replaced the Vali with a Saga. I am still deciding what effect I hear. The sound has changed, but I am at a loss to say exactly what changed.

So with your desktop setup you are adjusting the volume via the Vali 2 or Klipsch speakers? For me it would be a pain to get up every time I wanted to change the volume. My stereo setup is for both movies and music in my "man cave". So I would be adjusting the volume on the integrated stereo amp. I would need to set the volume and gain on the Vali 2 and leave it alone. What would be the best setting to put it at?

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,987 of 3,690
So with your desktop setup you are adjusting the volume via the Vali 2 or Klipsch speakers? For me it would be a pain to get up every time I wanted to change the volume. My stereo setup is for both movies and music in my "man cave". So I would be adjusting the volume on the integrated stereo amp. I would need to set the volume and gain on the Vali 2 and leave it alone. What would be the best setting to put it at?
There is a remote for the Klipsch speakers, it ALWAYS stays next to an easy chair. (Yelling intended. Lost remotes are the only negative in an otherwise blissful marriage. We both blame the other party.) When I am alone I sit in the easy chair after first adjusting the computer and the Vali volume to give the Klipsch remote the ability to control the maximum volume that I want. (the remote can also mute) When my wife is around I sit at the computer or on a sofa, my wife sits in the easy chair. She then has the Klipsch remote. If I am on the sofa I then have zero control of the volume, if I stay at the computer I can of course reduce the volume, but I generally defer to her. I typically max the PC and 3/4 the Vali - this gives her the control she likes with the Klipsch remote. Some broadcasts are louder or softer, so sometimes the Vali is also maxed.

Edit: Just read your post more carefully. You can set the Vali where you like and control the volume as you have been doing. You would want to experiment with the Vali setting.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,988 of 3,690
Dec 26, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,989 of 3,690
How can you use a 12au7 in your Vali2? That's a 12 volt heater not a 6 volt which is what the Vali2 supplies.
The 12AU7 (and 12AT7 and 12AX7) are all designed to run with either 6.3v or 12.6v on the heaters, selectable by wiring the heater pins in series or in parallel.

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #2,990 of 3,690
How can you use a 12au7 in your Vali2? That's a 12 volt heater not a 6 volt which is what the Vali2 supplies.
That's what the car battery in my listening room is for.

Seriously, what @bcowen said. My adapter is wired to run the 12au7 on 6v.

… thinking bout it now… are there any amps in the headphonesphere that do run 12A*7 tubes on 12v? I'm only familiar with the Project Solstice which has an optional 12v heater setting (I asked the designer if there was even any benefit using the 12v setting. Was told no, it's specifically for 12v only tubes like the 12SN7)

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #2,991 of 3,690
That's what the car battery in my listening room is for.

Seriously, what @bcowen said. My adapter is wired to run the 12au7 on 6v.

… thinking bout it now… are there any amps in the headphonesphere that do run 12A*7 tubes on 12v? I'm only familiar with the Project Solstice which has an optional 12v heater setting (I asked the designer if there was even any benefit using the 12v setting. Was told no, it's specifically for 12v only tubes like the 12SN7)
I believe that the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 does. It does take 12AT7 without adapters. There is also a 6SN7 / 12SN7 switch in the MZ3. I assume that, when 12SN7 tubes are used, the 12AT7 tubes are also run on 12 volts.

Dec 27, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #2,992 of 3,690
Has anyone here used the Vali 2 as a tube preamp between a DAC and a stereo amp? Would be nice to have something small like this to get some tube flavour for my speakers.
Yes, I have a Vali2+ hooked up to an Aegir speaker amp with a Modi Multibit DAC feeding the Vali, the Modi being connected to the TV optical out. I really like the sound!

As a bonus, it makes it possible to watch TV using headphones as well :)

Dec 27, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #2,993 of 3,690
Has anyone here used the Vali 2 as a tube preamp between a DAC and a stereo amp? Would be nice to have something small like this to get some tube flavour for my speakers.
I found the Vali 2 (v1.1 according to the board) to be too noisy from the pre-outs to use in front of a speaker amp. The 2+ is probably quieter, but I haven't tried it.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:21 AM Post #2,994 of 3,690
I found the Vali 2 (v1.1 according to the board) to be too noisy from the pre-outs to use in front of a speaker amp. The 2+ is probably quieter, but I haven't tried it.
In Jason's Book (Go to page one of the "Schiit Happened" thread, 2020, Chapter 14), Jason states that the noise floor was lowered for the latest version of the Vali. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4447#post-15969387

I never heard the old version, I am happy with the new version.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #2,995 of 3,690

In Jason's Book (Go to page one of the "Schiit Happened" thread, 2020, Chapter 14), Jason states that the noise floor was lowered for the latest version of the Vali. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-4447#post-15969387

I never heard the old version, I am happy with the new version.
I have the new version, Vali2+, and to me it’s dead quiet both on pre-outs and headphones. I have no experience with the old version though.

Dec 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,996 of 3,690
I have the new version, Vali2+, and to me it’s dead quiet both on pre-outs and headphones. I have no experience with the old version though.
I have the older version (non-plus), and it's as quiet as a church mouse with HP's and through the line output. Of course, a noisy tube can change all that pretty quickly.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #2,997 of 3,690
I have the original version, using the stock tube, it’s been dead silent for me. I have’t done any tube rolling yet.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #2,998 of 3,690
So I finally caved and decided to plug my Vali2 into my Sansui B55 amp. Nice and quiet with the cleartop 6cg7 that's currently in there. Listening to some proggy rock/metal and it's sounding pretty darn good through my Paradigm speakers
The headphone out on the Sansui does fall pretty flat with my A2C however (sounds good with the 58x) so it's probably not going to become a fulltime headphone amp - unless somebody can convince me its worth making some speaker taps:wink:

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #2,999 of 3,690
I dusted off my Vali 2+ today after a long period of nonuse and being in an experimental mood, plugged in (via a series of socket saver and adapter) a 1950s-era 6N8S MELZ tube and sourced the amp from a Yggy LIM. This little amp sounds awesome.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #3,000 of 3,690
I've had my Vali2 for almost 1 1/2 years now. Still amazed how good this little amp is for the money. I have the Psvane 6SN7-UK in there now, with the Hemps. It's the little amp that could! Had to put Merlin in the picture.

PXL_20220107_144639729.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back