Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #3,001 of 3,702
I found the Vali 2 (v1.1 according to the board) to be too noisy from the pre-outs to use in front of a speaker amp. The 2+ is probably quieter, but I haven't tried it.
I found that to be the case with the stock tube, but not with the EH 6922 I have in there now. I'd roll a tube or two if you use it as a speaker amp. Running mine through a Rotel RB-1050 and Energy RC-10 speakers, and it sounds clean without any hiss in the background.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #3,003 of 3,702
I found that to be the case with the stock tube, but not with the EH 6922 I have in there now. I'd roll a tube or two if you use it as a speaker amp. Running mine through a Rotel RB-1050 and Energy RC-10 speakers, and it sounds clean without any hiss in the background.
I've tried like 5 different tubes, and while some are quieter than others, they were all too noisy for me for use as a pre. Actually, I have never had a headamp with pre-outs that was quiet enough. I gave up and bought a dedicated preamp-problem solved. Wanted a remote anyway.

Jan 13, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #3,004 of 3,702
I've tried like 5 different tubes, and while some are quieter than others, they were all too noisy for me for use as a pre. Actually, I have never had a headamp with pre-outs that was quiet enough. I gave up and bought a dedicated preamp-problem solved. Wanted a remote anyway.
Could just be manufacturing tolerances.

Feb 14, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #3,005 of 3,702
Not sure if anyone mentioned this.... but Vali 2+ hum is very much related to the DAC power source... yes it sound weird but true. It was noisy with my Topping e30 when e30 was powered by my computer USB or power strip USB port, but when e30 was powered by a battery bank, the hum in Vali 2+ completely disappeared... as in dead silent. After a while I purchased another DAC (Denafrips Ares 2) which was powered by the thick 110v power cable into outlet, and again, Vali 2+ was completely dead silent with it. So my conclusion is that USB power source is very noise and dirty to the point of negatively affecting Vali 2+. When I originally asked Schiit about this nagging noise they made all the standard excuses like all tube amps hum, get a noise isolator block, etc.... but I wish they knew about this and shared this info with all Vali 2+ owners.... "just run your DAC from clean power source like a battery pack or over 110v power cable, not USB".

Otherwise vali 2+ is really amazing with Genalex e88cc Gold Lion. Just throw away the stock tube, it is garbage... with the Genalex one, whew, this thing sounds so amazing!

Feb 14, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #3,006 of 3,702
Not sure if anyone mentioned this.... but Vali 2+ hum is very much related to the DAC power source... yes it sound weird but true. It was noisy with my Topping e30 when e30 was powered by my computer USB or power strip USB port, but when e30 was powered by a battery bank, the hum in Vali 2+ completely disappeared... as in dead silent. After a while I purchased another DAC (Denafrips Ares 2) which was powered by the thick 110v power cable into outlet, and again, Vali 2+ was completely dead silent with it. So my conclusion is that USB power source is very noise and dirty to the point of negatively affecting Vali 2+. When I originally asked Schiit about this nagging noise they made all the standard excuses like all tube amps hum, get a noise isolator block, etc.... but I wish they knew about this and shared this info with all Vali 2+ owners.... "just run your DAC from clean power source like a battery pack or over 110v power cable, not USB".

Otherwise vali 2+ is really amazing with Genalex e88cc Gold Lion. Just throw away the stock tube, it is garbage... with the Genalex one, whew, this thing sounds so amazing!
Very good info! I've always used mine with a Modi Multibit DAC, but with a Schiit EITR between the computer's USB and the Modi. The EITR (unfortunately discontinued) converted the USB to S/PDIF and eliminated the USB noise in the process. Never thought about that before, but perhaps that's why (or at least partly why) my Vali 2 has always been dead quiet.

Vali with Footscray.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #3,008 of 3,702
Very good info! I've always used mine with a Modi Multibit DAC, but with a Schiit EITR between the computer's USB and the Modi. The EITR (unfortunately discontinued) converted the USB to S/PDIF and eliminated the USB noise in the process. Never thought about that before, but perhaps that's why (or at least partly why) my Vali 2 has always been dead quiet.

Vali with Footscray.jpg
Doesn't the Modi use a wallwart style LPS like the Vali?
Never had an issue with my Topping D30, but it does have a dedicated power source. If I did have a DAC that was USB powered I think I'd probably opt for a battery bank, but I've read Allo has some good power supplies - both linear and SPS (better than ifi's stuff, from the review I read)

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #3,009 of 3,702
Which stock tube was that?
Thing is there is not necessarily a standard "stock tube". Some of the ones you might receive are just fine. Just depends on what they had in stock at the time of your order.
(I am currently going through a wide variety of 6BQ7's to see what's what...haven't heard any garbage yet....)

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #3,010 of 3,702
I’ve used a Modi with USB power and with the wall plug. I’ve never had noise with a ValI nor with my Saga. I’ve only used the wall plug into the Modi with a Saga, but I’ve done both with the Vali. Right now a computer feeds the Vali power and signal through the same USB cable. No noise. But I realize noise is a somewhat uncertain thing. Change one component and it might come or go. My experience, though, is that Schiit’s Unison USB works great. I know there are skeptics.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #3,011 of 3,702
Just throw away the stock tube,

Probably better to save it, just in case you want to reassemble the whole package for resale someday.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #3,012 of 3,702
Doesn't the Modi use a wallwart style LPS like the Vali?
Never had an issue with my Topping D30, but it does have a dedicated power source. If I did have a DAC that was USB powered I think I'd probably opt for a battery bank, but I've read Allo has some good power supplies - both linear and SPS (better than ifi's stuff, from the review I read)
Yup, it uses a wal-wart with an AC output making it basically just a step-down transformer. Same as the Vali 2 in that regard. And the Modi gets all its power from that wal-wart and doesn't need the 5v from the USB bus. But if being fed data via USB, all that noise is still riding along and that's where the EITR helps I think. I have another EITR in the big rig feeding a (120v powered) Cary DAC when I'm streaming, and it makes a nice improvement there as well. If a DAC is getting power solely from the 5v on the USB bus, then that is a potential source of noise. But even if not, USB can be noisy as hell (depending on the quality of the hardware) and isolating it has to help.

Feb 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #3,013 of 3,702
I’ve used a Modi with USB power and with the wall plug. I’ve never had noise with a ValI nor with my Saga. I’ve only used the wall plug into the Modi with a Saga, but I’ve done both with the Vali. Right now a computer feeds the Vali power and signal through the same USB cable. No noise. But I realize noise is a somewhat uncertain thing. Change one component and it might come or go. My experience, though, is that Schiit’s Unison USB works great. I know there are skeptics.
You mean the computer feeds the Modi (not the Vali), yes?

My Modi multibit is pre-Unison. But my Bifrost 2 has Unison, and no noise at all with it fed directly from the computer.

Feb 15, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #3,014 of 3,702
You mean the computer feeds the Modi (not the Vali), yes?

My Modi multibit is pre-Unison. But my Bifrost 2 has Unison, and no noise at all with it fed directly from the computer.
Right. PC>Modi>Vali with no wall power to the Modi. But I have also run CD Player >Modi> Vali and then the Modi requires a wall wart. Both my Modis have the Unison USB.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #3,015 of 3,702
The "stock tube"....Hmm...

When I got my Vali 2 + I got a NOS tube that sonically IMO was just fine. But it was very sensitive, ie microphonic....as long as we didnt touch it or bang on the desk etc it was fine...Schiit sent me a replacement and it was a different brand of the same tube type...totally solid, not mircrophonic at all...and its sounds just fine to me.

So the comment throw away the stock tube is well....there may not be a stock tube one day or week that is the same as a stock tube delivered with stuff the next day, week or batch of stuff..

The only thing that stock tube means to me is the one that comes with the unit. Good or Bad.

YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back