Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
May 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #3,031 of 3,702
How important are balanced triodes for the Vali 2+? I have a couple tubes to choose from. One E88CC has 8% matched triodes and the other is about 1%.
It would be an awesome test (I do not disagree with the post that expresses doubts you'll hear a difference.) Too bad one isn't 20% unbalanced... That would be a great test.

May 2, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #3,032 of 3,702
LOL!

Wait for a few years after spending lots of bucks on amps and stuff...and then come back to this little amp.....
Guilty.

May 3, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #3,033 of 3,702
I have many tubes here, and with varying matching...none really show any realistic discernible difference in audio "quality" or attributes.

The matching if done for the ability if a tube to amplify would affect the amplification "output" dependent on the tube circuit voltage bias.

One way to "try" to tell if there is a difference would be to accurately level match with a very well coupled measuring device by setting the input drive levels
exactly the same and measure the db out with a power meter or audio mic transducer measurement device.

This would be a difference in the left vs right channel amplitude which could in "extreme" cases and ciruit design might show a level imbalance between channels.

Alex

May 3, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #3,035 of 3,702
I have many tubes here, and with varying matching...none really show any realistic discernible difference in audio "quality" or attributes.

The matching if done for the ability if a tube to amplify would affect the amplification "output" dependent on the tube circuit voltage bias.

One way to "try" to tell if there is a difference would be to accurately level match with a very well coupled measuring device by setting the input drive levels
exactly the same and measure the db out with a power meter or audio mic transducer measurement device.

This would be a difference in the left vs right channel amplitude which could in "extreme" cases and ciruit design might show a level imbalance between channels.

Alex
I can hear a huge difference between stock and, say, a $200 telefunken that came with another amp. I don't necessarily prefer the expensive one though. Frankly I like the slightly dirty Valvo cc84 with it's wide soundstage that beats the Telefunken to my ears but lacks the stage height. Frankly these cc84 are the first time I can hear less 'height' in soundstage.

May 5, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #3,038 of 3,702
Long time Lyr 2 user here thinking about downsizing to a Valid 2+. Does the Vali become too hot to touch for about 5 seconds like how the Lyr 2 does after like an hour or 2 of usage? Skipped the Lyr 3 because all my tubes would require a new adapter while I believe Lyr 2 and Vali 2+ uses the same socket therefore all my tubes are still usable.

May 5, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #3,039 of 3,702
Now who is brave enough to define "BIG" ?

:>)
BIG what? Please define. :laughing:

Here's big tube. Does that count? :laughing:

Callie and 845.jpg

May 5, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #3,040 of 3,702
Long time Lyr 2 user here thinking about downsizing to a Valid 2+. Does the Vali become too hot to touch for about 5 seconds like how the Lyr 2 does after like an hour or 2 of usage? Skipped the Lyr 3 because all my tubes would require a new adapter while I believe Lyr 2 and Vali 2+ uses the same socket therefore all my tubes are still usable.
I can't compare to a Lyr, but I've never thought my Vali gets "hot". Sure it's warm, but nothing like my class A Little Bear P1. Heck, if I wasn't such a flinchy little girl, I'd probably be doing tube swaps on the fly

Last edited:
May 5, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #3,042 of 3,702
Ha! Just like Schiit, I cant define BIG, that all of you to do!!
If some tubes have dramatic or BIG differences what are they ?

Oh my here we go again!
Now thats big tube, but there are alot bigger eh!!

:>)
Yup, much bigger ones out there. That's just the biggest one I have. :laughing:

May 5, 2022 at 10:14 PM Post #3,043 of 3,702
I can't compare to a Lyr, but I've never thought my Vali gets "hot". Sure it's warm, but nothing like my class A Little Bear P1. Heck, if I wasn't such a flinchy little girl, I'd probably be doing tube swaps on the fly
with wet hands and a dry martini…🤪😳

May 6, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #3,044 of 3,702
No it doesn't get hot, only mildly warm.

May 16, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #3,045 of 3,702
LOL!

Wait for a few years after spending lots of bucks on amps and stuff...and then come back to this little amp.....
OK, Adydula...you were right! I took that little Vali 2 to my downstairs system, compared it head to head with the little all tubed EarMax OTL amp that I have been using for 25 years. While the Vali 2 was not quite as tubey as the EarMax, with the GE 5670/adapter it is close enough that I have retired my EarMax for the time being. I am really liking this little Vali 2, and can hardly wait to hear what it'll do with a 6SN7 tube, once I can get the adapter. :) And that, with the volume pot barely cracked, because it doesn't sound near as good in low gain mode...no doubt the negative feedback. Headphones are HD 650's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back