Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,881 of 3,690
The Vali 2+ and Project Horizon are tube hybrid amplifiers.
Only the Valhalla is OTL.

no, it’s a hybrid. But much tubier-sounding than most. (CTH, Liquid Plat, for example... tubier than Valhalla actually)

Thank you both, now I see why Vali 2+ is such a winner for those looking for the tube sound and also why some are amazed by Vallaha since it is said to be less tubier than some tube amps

Either way looks like I can go for either of these tube amps if I want something different from my Project Ember

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #2,882 of 3,690
You are not alone, I feel the same regarding high and low gain too; high gain sounds better to me.

I discovered this when I switched my Lyr3 to low gain to get more usable movement out of the volume pot, and no surprises, that worked as expected and I didn’t hear any immediate difference (except volume). Great. But then came the feeling that something was off, it didn’t sound as good any more, not by much, but it still wasn’t the same, regardless of volume. Something was lost. It didn’t sound “right”. The sound was flatter, less dynamic. I didn’t immediately connect the difference to my switching the gain either, so I checked settings in my computer, thought that the tube maybe had started wearing out, doubting my memory/ears etc. But then occurred the thought that I had switched the gain. Switched it back to high and behold, it sounded “right” again! :) The difference is subtle, but still there to my ears.

Some time later, this was discussed in over in the Shiiit Happened thread (or was it the Lyr3 thread? this is some time ago now) and other people felt the same thing with the Lyr3 gain and Asgard3 too, and I think other amps were brought up as well.

Turns out there is a technical explanation for this. In high gain mode, a lower amount of negative feedback is used. Feedback is used to reduce distortion, but it also affects gain. So, high gain means more volume at the same setting on the volume pot but also more distortion. Not by much, but apparently enough to be able hear a difference. If it sounds better or not is an individual preference of course, but there is a real difference to it.

Ahhhh....the question of the millennium: do tubes sound better because of their higher harmonic distortion, or despite it? Probably impossible to count the number of flame wars that have erupted over this very subject over the years, but once all the dust has settled (repeatedly), @Mr Trev summed it up succinctly and perfectly: if it sounds better to you, then it is better. And that's all that matters.

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #2,884 of 3,690
Thank you both, now I see why Vali 2+ is such a winner for those looking for the tube sound and also why some are amazed by Vallaha since it is said to be less tubier than some tube amps

Either way looks like I can go for either of these tube amps if I want something different from my Project Ember

What headphones do you own?

Dec 25, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #2,885 of 3,690

Just don't try to drive low impedance planars with Valhalla. With LCD2s and HE500s it sounded broken. Sundaras sound great with Vali 2 tho.

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,886 of 3,690
What headphones do you own?

Right now just a beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Sennhieser IE 80 and JBL LSR 305 (1st Gen). Am looking into getting Sennhieser HD 600 as soon as next year and perhaps HD 800S (or even just a HD 560S) much later down the line

Just don't try to drive low impedance planars with Valhalla. With LCD2s and HE500s it sounded broken. Sundaras sound great with Vali 2 tho.

Thanks but I am unsure if I want planars just yet

Dec 25, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,887 of 3,690
Right now just a beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, Sennhieser IE 80 and JBL LSR 305 (1st Gen). Am looking into getting Sennhieser HD 600 as soon as next year and perhaps HD 800S (or even just a HD 560S) much later down the line

For the headphones you are planning to buy the Valhalla with some warmer sounding tubes is a good choice.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #2,890 of 3,690
Dec 25, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #2,892 of 3,690
Ahhhh....the question of the millennium: do tubes sound better because of their higher harmonic distortion, or despite it?

That’s a very interesting question! And probably a debate that can go on for a millennium, too. I have no idea, but I do know I like the sound of tubes regardless of what the answer may be.
:L3000:

@Mr Trev summed it up succinctly and perfectly: if it sounds better to you, then it is better. And that's all that matters.

Exactly! I discovered that I like high gain better than low gain so I use it. But I’m also glad that there is a technical explanation for it, that way I know that it isn’t my mind playing tricks on me (at least not this time :sweat_smile:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back