Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Dec 20, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #2,867 of 3,690
Have an EH 6CG7 and an EH 6922 on the way!

I don't plan to get any other tubes but am letting that stock tube burn in currently.

Will continue using the stock tube for at least another week but does anyone have experience with both the EH 6CG7 and the EH 6922?

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #2,868 of 3,690
Did you receive your Vali 2+?

How does it sound with the stock tube please?

I like it, it’s a great little amp. Listening with my HD6XX it sounds very nice with the stock tube that I got with it, warm, cozy even, no harshness in my ears. It’s a great pairing with the Modi Multibit (which sadly seems to have an uncertain future).

It’s tonally almost like mini Lyr3 I’d say, at least with the stock tube, but its big brother pulls ahead in just about all regards of course. I also tried connecting it to my Bifrost2 and although I hear improvements in doing so as compared to the Modi Multibit, the difference is not as large as it was for the Lyr3 going to the Bifrost2 from the internal multibit card.

Dec 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #2,869 of 3,690
The stock tube I got with the Vali2+ is a 6BZ7/6BQ7A, apparently from Canada:
A383D978-0D75-4773-8F85-F333C821053B.jpeg

It has a halo/ring getter stand.

Does anyone know who manufactured this tube?

The only markings that are on it are the ones in the picture above. No date codes, but it has “22” embossed in the glass in the spacing between pins 1 and 9. Also, no etched dots, so it can’t be a GE :ksc75smile:

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #2,870 of 3,690
The stock tube I got with the Vali2+ is a 6BZ7/6BQ7A, apparently from Canada:
A383D978-0D75-4773-8F85-F333C821053B.jpeg
It has a halo/ring getter stand.

Does anyone know who manufactured this tube?

The only markings that are on it are the ones in the picture above. No date codes, but it has “22” embossed in the glass in the spacing between pins 1 and 9. Also, no etched dots, so it can’t be a GE :ksc75smile:

Can't say for sure, but that silkscreened font looks very RCA-ish. Could be a Canadian Marconi.

Dec 21, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,872 of 3,690
In all the years the Vali2 has exisited, I don't think anybody have been able to identify the manf. of those tubes.
We'll probably solve the Riddle of the Sphinx first…

Can't say that I ever took the tubes that came with either of my Vali 2's out of the box. :grin: Better things awaited in each case.

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #2,873 of 3,690
Can't say that I ever took the tubes that came with either of my Vali 2's out of the box. :grin: Better things awaited in each case.

Same here. I already had some NOS tubes before the V2 arrived. Eventually did give the stock a try, but it was noisy in a scary, bad way. I quickly removed it before damage was done and haven't looked back since.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #2,874 of 3,690
Received the EH 6CG7 and 6922 tubes today!

Starting with the 6CG7 and this is a really nice improvement - I'll keep burning in the tube over next week or so as I'm waiting on my Beyer Amiron Home to arrive (currently using my 770).

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2,875 of 3,690
Is there a general consensus about using high Vs low gain for 250 ohm cans?

I'm currently using 80 ohm cans and I can use low gain up to around 12pm on the volume pot or high gain around 9-10am, but high gain sounds better to me to some reason - is this placebo or a known characteristic of the Vali 2 sounding better in high gain?

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #2,876 of 3,690
Is there a general consensus about using high Vs low gain for 250 ohm cans?

I'm currently using 80 ohm cans and I can use low gain up to around 12pm on the volume pot or high gain around 9-10am, but high gain sounds better to me to some reason - is this placebo or a known characteristic of the Vali 2 sounding better in high gain?

Really, if it sounds better to you, then it is better - regardless of what other people tell you

yes, I realize this is heresy to some round the Head-Fi-dom…

One caveat… make sure it's level matched. Louder will always seem better.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #2,880 of 3,690

You are not alone, I feel the same regarding high and low gain too; high gain sounds better to me.

I discovered this when I switched my Lyr3 to low gain to get more usable movement out of the volume pot, and no surprises, that worked as expected and I didn’t hear any immediate difference (except volume). Great. But then came the feeling that something was off, it didn’t sound as good any more, not by much, but it still wasn’t the same, regardless of volume. Something was lost. It didn’t sound “right”. The sound was flatter, less dynamic. I didn’t immediately connect the difference to my switching the gain either, so I checked settings in my computer, thought that the tube maybe had started wearing out, doubting my memory/ears etc. But then occurred the thought that I had switched the gain. Switched it back to high and behold, it sounded “right” again! :) The difference is subtle, but still there to my ears.

Some time later, this was discussed in over in the Shiiit Happened thread (or was it the Lyr3 thread? this is some time ago now) and other people felt the same thing with the Lyr3 gain and Asgard3 too, and I think other amps were brought up as well.

Turns out there is a technical explanation for this. In high gain mode, a lower amount of negative feedback is used. Feedback is used to reduce distortion, but it also affects gain. So, high gain means more volume at the same setting on the volume pot but also more distortion. Not by much, but apparently enough to be able hear a difference. If it sounds better or not is an individual preference of course, but there is a real difference to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back