Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Nov 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #2,836 of 3,692
Added a fat volume knob some time ago and recently moved Vali 2 to my Mac Mini with a Modi Optical. The preamp output is going straight into passive computer speakers with an RCA to 3.5mm adapter. Someday I'll get around to adding an amp and speakers. Love having the big volume knob - so much nicer to adjust now.

20201109_194129.jpg
homer big knobs.jpg

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #2,837 of 3,692
Not that I really needed one, like, at all, but..

I had my eye on the Vali2 when it arrived but then the Magni3 also came out and I took that route instead from my Magni2U. Since then I’ve landed a Lyr3 instead and very happy with it and its cozily glowing tube :ksc75smile:

Enter the Vali2+
Now I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on one. Order is in, waiting on shipping :)

I reasoned that I needed something to stick my Vokshod Rocket, E188CC and E288CC in that I got on eBay back when I was on the track for the original Vali2. Perfectly logical and reasonable, no? :sweat_smile:

I’d need a socket saver though.
Anyone know of one that fits well in the Vali2?

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #2,838 of 3,692

I had my eye on the Vali2 when it arrived but then the Magni3 also came out and I took that route instead from my Magni2U. Since then I’ve landed a Lyr3 instead and very happy with it and its cozily glowing tube :ksc75smile:

Enter the Vali2+
Now I couldn’t resist and pulled the trigger on one. Order is in, waiting on shipping :)

I reasoned that I needed something to stick my Vokshod Rocket, E188CC and E288CC in that I got on eBay back when I was on the track for the original Vali2. Perfectly logical and reasonable, no? :sweat_smile:

Logic is not required when tubes (and amps) are involved. :grin:

If you're just needing a straight-up socket saver, they're probably all made in China anyway so it's mostly dependent on the shipping cost being the least costly for you.

https://www.angela.com/9pinsocketsaverfortubetestersgoldpins.aspx

1606582940778.png

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #2,840 of 3,692
I find the Vali2 sounds great with IEMs - surprisingly so. I don't know offhand what the impedence of any of mine are, but they definitely are on the low end.
The only downside is possible tube noise. For the most part using low gain will eliminate it, but I do have some tubes that still have audible noise. I would imagine that those ifi IEM thingies (https://www.amazon.ca/iFi-Headphone-Background-Improves-Increased/dp/B01L4CPF7U) would solve it completely.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #2,841 of 3,692
I find the Vali2 sounds great with IEMs - surprisingly so. I don't know offhand what the impedence of any of mine are, but they definitely are on the low end.
The only downside is possible tube noise. For the most part using low gain will eliminate it, but I do have some tubes that still have audible noise. I would imagine that those ifi IEM thingies (https://www.amazon.ca/iFi-Headphone-Background-Improves-Increased/dp/B01L4CPF7U) would solve it completely.
The IEM matcher works well for most types of IEMs, I've used mine with CA Andromeda and ER4XRs, no issues at all

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #2,842 of 3,692
Has anyone used the Vali 2+ with the Modius DAC?

I want to get the Modius and Vali 2+ as my DAC-AMP combo stack, and plan to use them with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80ohm).

Also for the low/high gain switch on the Vali 2+, what would be better for the 80ohm headphones?

Dec 17, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #2,844 of 3,692
Also for the low/high gain switch on the Vali 2+, what would be better for the 80ohm headphones?

IME, it depends on the tube. If the tube is on the noisy side, then you'll probably have no choice but to use low.
With a good quiet tube, I've even been about to use my Grado 125 (32ohm) on high gain, but you don't get much volume sweep before things get waaay loud.

Supposedly, high gain has more tubey distortion goodness, so in theory, if you want "tube sound" that is the route to go

<edit> also forgot, it will depend on the source too. Some DACs will have higher output voltage than others, therefore are louder

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2,846 of 3,692
Has anyone used the Vali 2+ with the Modius DAC?

I want to get the Modius and Vali 2+ as my DAC-AMP combo stack, and plan to use them with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 (80ohm).

Unless you are going to utilize the balanced output of the Modius, you might consider just going with the Modi, as most of the additional cost of the Modius is due to the balanced out, none of the benefits of which will be realized if you are only using the se output to the Vali. Of course, if you are planning to use the balanced outs to a speaker amp or a second headamp now or in the future, that might change your calculation. Just my 2 cents. Hope it is worth at least that. As for the gain setting, I would try both and see what sounds best to you.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #2,847 of 3,692
Unless you are going to utilize the balanced output of the Modius, you might consider just going with the Modi, as most of the additional cost of the Modius is due to the balanced out, none of the benefits of which will be realized if you are only using the se output to the Vali. Of course, if you are planning to use the balanced outs to a speaker amp or a second headamp now or in the future, that might change your calculation. Just my 2 cents. Hope it is worth at least that. As for the gain setting, I would try both and see what sounds best to you.

The DAC chip in the Modius is different though - it's got 4493 over the Modi's 4490.

Also I plan to get other amps in future but wanted a more versatile DAC within reasonable budget so feel the Modius is better.

I plan to use the stock tube for a good while before doing some limited rolling - does the Vali 2+ stock tube differ to the previous Vali 2?

Edit: I will be using my PC or Laptop feeding the DAC via USB (all flac format at CD quality and also films from blu ray discs).

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,849 of 3,692
Or if you want to spend more, Modi Multibit sounds way better to my ears than Modius ... both sound fine, Mimby is smoother or something ... can't describe it really.

Dec 18, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,850 of 3,692

Enter the Vali2+

Did you receive your Vali 2+?

How does it sound with the stock tube please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back