Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Feb 18, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #2,371 of 3,690
Just started listening to my new-to-me Vali 2 (thanks @RickB ) I'm using the stock tube right now just to get a flavor for it. Plopped my HE4XX on my noggin and my first though was, "wow, that's definitely warmer." I've been listening to it for around an hour and I have already gotten used to it so I can't really tell anymore. Or the tube has warmed up. Either way, I'm a happy listener right now and exicted to try the other tubes I got with it (again, thanks @RickB ).

Feb 18, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #2,372 of 3,690
Just started listening to my new-to-me Vali 2 (thanks @RickB ) I'm using the stock tube right now just to get a flavor for it. Plopped my HE4XX on my noggin and my first though was, "wow, that's definitely warmer." I've been listening to it for around an hour and I have already gotten used to it so I can't really tell anymore. Or the tube has warmed up. Either way, I'm a happy listener right now and exicted to try the other tubes I got with it (again, thanks @RickB ).
Welcome to the world of tube rolling. Try a 6SN7 with adapter...lots of good glass out there in that type.

Feb 27, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #2,374 of 3,690

Dual 6J5GT into a 6922 adapter. Awesome separation of the channels, no cross-talk in the headphones, and makes the Speakers sound binaural.

www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Dual-6J5G-6C5G-VT-94-CV1932-L63-VR67-TO-ECC88-6922-tube-converter-adapter-/201458214762

tenor.gif

I am very OK with this modification. :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #2,375 of 3,690
How does the gain switch correlate to the ohms rating on the headphones being used? Or is there no relation? For example, for two years straight I powered my Hifiman HE-400i’s which are 35ohm, with my Vali 2 on low gain. Everything sounded pretty good to my ears. Recently I had read an article about high gain exposing more of what the tube has to offer so I switch to that. On high gain I find the sibilance and some of the normal highs to be too much. On the other hand I just started using Sennheiser HD6XX’s with my Vali 2 today and they love the high gain. Sound great!

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #2,376 of 3,690
How does the gain switch correlate to the ohms rating on the headphones being used? Or is there no relation? For example, for two years straight I powered my Hifiman HE-400i’s which are 35ohm, with my Vali 2 on low gain. Everything sounded pretty good to my ears. Recently I had read an article about high gain exposing more of what the tube has to offer so I switch to that. On high gain I find the sibilance and some of the normal highs to be too much. On the other hand I just started using Sennheiser HD6XX’s with my Vali 2 today and they love the high gain. Sound great!
The gain switch on Schiit HP amps is the source of almost as much controversy as any other topic. There is no correlation, and there is no "right answer"...
If it sounds better in Hi-Gain, use Hi, if it sounds better with lo gain, use low. Let your ears and your equipment dictate what sounds best to you.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #2,377 of 3,690
The gain switch on Schiit HP amps is the source of almost as much controversy as any other topic. There is no correlation, and there is no "right answer"...
If it sounds better in Hi-Gain, use Hi, if it sounds better with lo gain, use low. Let your ears and your equipment dictate what sounds best to you.
Heh. Listen to Mister Padgett! I use the gain switch as a way to get finer volume control on my Magni3. For my Senheisser HD650 clones (from Massdrop), the HI setting appears to also provide a 'fuller sound'. Meh... my 2 cents' worth.

Mar 1, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #2,378 of 3,690
From the tests I've read hi gain does have higher distortion (the good tubey kind) than low, but honestly, I can't really pick up much of a difference.
The biggest reason I find for choosing between hi/low gain is tube noise. With my easier to drive phones - and especially iems, I'll use low gain so any hum/noise is eliminated. Otherwise I stick to high - you know just in case it really does sound better (at the expense of only being able to use 30% of the pot range)

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,380 of 3,690
The Mouse is back...
I found this delicious 8/51 Hytron Mouse-Ears, it is black three-hole plates. My 53 Tung-sol was two-hole gray plates.

Interesting. Had to check mine… Zeinth rebrand, 2 hole, grey plates.
Going to have to go looking for one before @bcowen or the rest of the Loonies of Lyr™ snap them up:wink:

<edit> found this thing from everybody's favourite seller: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Factor...T-231-6SN7GT-Hytron-BadBoy-Plate/273109275238
Rare. Super rare. Like a 3-legged Lincoln penny

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #2,381 of 3,690
Interesting. Had to check mine… Zeinth rebrand, 2 hole, grey plates.
Going to have to go looking for one before @bcowen or the rest of the Loonies of Lyr™ snap them up:wink:

<edit> found this thing from everybody's favourite seller: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Rare-Factor...T-231-6SN7GT-Hytron-BadBoy-Plate/273109275238
Rare. Super rare. Like a 3-legged Lincoln penny

Yes I have managed to steer clear of that cat. I didn't turn up anything except praise of the Tung-sol which is gray and 2-holes, like the remains of mine...this could be a rare bird, not because of mismatched plates but because they are three-hole and black.

Mar 9, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #2,382 of 3,690
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #2,383 of 3,690
Yes I have managed to steer clear of that cat. I didn't turn up anything except praise of the Tung-sol which is gray and 2-holes, like the remains of mine...this could be a rare bird, not because of mismatched plates but because they are three-hole and black.
Reputation is everything. Hmm, I'll keep that in mind.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #2,384 of 3,690
I'm LMAO. He's had that tube listed for well over 6 months now. Perhaps in another 6 months the automatic price drops will take it down to $5, which is still probably more than it's worth. :relaxed:
I went to the vendor's site. Six hundred and fifty American Dollars... EACH?! Yeahhhhhhhhh no. :triportsad:

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #2,385 of 3,690
I'm LMAO. He's had that tube listed for well over 6 months now. Perhaps in another 6 months the automatic price drops will take it down to $5, which is still probably more than it's worth. :relaxed:

I guess for those people who can't decide if they should get a 2 hole badboy or 3 hole version, you can have both - AIO

I haven't exactly been around the tube block myself, but this is first I've heard about any variants of the mouse ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back