Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Sep 18, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #1,546 of 3,690
Sounds great with my AKG 702s with Wywires Red headphone cable cable

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #1,547 of 3,690
  Sounds great with my AKG 702s with Wywires Red headphone cable cable

Well looks like i'm gonna go with this amp, unless there are any better suggestions for the k712
etysmile.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,548 of 3,690
Okay so i received my Vali 2/Modi 2 Uber and akg 712 pro today. Hooked everything up expecting to be blown away the with sound quality, but i was initially left pretty disappointed.

Now i know my gear hasn't even been broken in yet, but i feel like the sound is so flat. Bass is non existent, and i just don't feel like i am getting a rich full sound.

Since i have no other equipment to hook my phones up to i dont know if it's the amp... the dac... or the ear phones that are disappointing. I didn't buy the AKG expecting a bass thumping experience, but i don't even get a little thud out of these things.

What do you guys think... phones, tube, amp?

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #1,549 of 3,690
  Okay so i received my Vali 2/Modi 2 Uber and akg 712 pro today. Hooked everything up expecting to be blown away the with sound quality, but i was initially left pretty disappointed.

Now i know my gear hasn't even been broken in yet, but i feel like the sound is so flat. Bass is non existent, and i just don't feel like i am getting a rich full sound.

Since i have no other equipment to hook my phones up to i dont know if it's the amp... the dac... or the ear phones that are disappointing. I didn't buy the AKG expecting a bass thumping experience, but i don't even get a little thud out of these things.

I would try tube rolling before doing anything else. Try a warmer compatible 9 pin Noval tube or go Octal.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #1,550 of 3,690

I would try tube rolling before doing anything else. Try a warmer compatible 9 pin Noval tube or go Octal.

So i'm brand new to the whole tube arena, and i'm not familiar with the term Noval tube. Did a quick google search and it seems to refer to a 9 pin socket? Does the Noval tube include the 6DJ8 / 6922 / ECC88 / E88CC / CV2492 tubes?

I've got a budget of ~$150, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #1,551 of 3,690

So i'm brand new to the whole tube arena, and i'm not familiar with the term Noval tube. Did a quick google search and it seems to refer to a 9 pin socket? Does the Noval tube include the 6DJ8 / 6922 / ECC88 / E88CC / CV2492 tubes?

Thanks!

You've got it correct!

I would probably try a 6DJ8 GE 'grey/smoked/dark glass' such as this, but other posters will have different opinions:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECC88-6DJ8-GE-GREY-GLASS-NOS-VALVE-TUBE-/262564328203?hash=item3d220db30b:g:2GsAAOSwyLlXpHHu

Alternatively you could also consider a 9 pin Noval 6DJ8 socket extender and 6SN7 to 6DJ8/ECC88 adapter, both available on eBAY, and try some warm Octals, like Tung-Sol 6SN7 'mouse ears'- there's loads of threads and web pages on Octal 6SN7 tubes. Here's a very useful one:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/117677/the-reference-6sn7-thread

Only your own ears will eventually decide what's best for you.
Good luck.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #1,552 of 3,690

I used to think my AKG 702s were crap. Then I saw a post that they need a lot of breakin. After 250 hours of continuous playing Jango internet radio through them, they sound better than my old Senn HD600s. The 712s are supposed to be better. This will also break in your vali/modi electronics. 

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #1,553 of 3,690

Awesome, i appreciate the advise. I have a little homework to do. I'll report back here with any updates.:)

I used to think my AKG 702s were crap. Then I saw a post that they need a lot of breaking. After 250 hours of continuous playing Jango internet radio through them, they sound better than my old Senn HD600s. The 712s are supposed to be better. This will also break in your vali/modi electronics. 

I have ~12 hours down, 238 more to go. Hope the sound profile changes on them. I was really surprised at how flat sounding they were, and it even had me thinking that maybe they were defective or fake. Ill give it a few more days to see if they get better.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #1,554 of 3,690
Awesome, i appreciate the advise. I have a little homework to do. I'll report back here with any updates.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have ~12 hours down, 238 more to go. Hope the sound profile changes on them. I was really surprised at how flat sounding they were, and it even had me thinking that maybe they were defective or fake. Ill give it a few more days to see if they get better.

Oh-I didn't realise you only just started to use the 712's.

They take a relatively long time to open up and extend down into the bass. Even longer than the 702 in my experience. There's lots of potential for improvement. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #1,555 of 3,690

Maybe the K712 sound just isn't for you. It's possible.
I would suggest maybe trying another headphone if you can return or exchange the K712.

Sep 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #1,556 of 3,690
This is a great way to get started tube rolling the Vali 2. This is my order for this morning. Please note that all tubes have balanced triodes. This is necessary because each channel of the Vali 2 uses one of those triodes. As previously stated, I have most of the holy grail 6922/ 6DJ8/7308 tubes, but so far the Russian Reflectors and Voskhods sound better.
 ​

Options​

Unit Price​

Qty​

Total​

JSC Voskhod 6H23p (Standard)​
Additional Options: Matched Triodes (Balanced) $5​
USD $‎19.95​
1​
USD $‎19.95​
Reflector 6H23p-EB / 6922 (Premium)​
USD $‎59.95​
1​
USD $‎59.95​
JSC Voskhod 6N1P-EB​
USD $‎9.95​
1​
USD $‎9.95​
Matched Triode Sections​
 ​
USD $‎5.00​
3​
USD $‎15.00​
Subtotal​
USD $‎104.85​
Shipping​
USD $‎9.95​
Taxes​
USD $‎0.00​
PST​
USD $‎0.00​
Total
USD $‎114.80
 ​

Sep 24, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #1,557 of 3,690
Maybe the K712 sound just isn't for you. It's possible.
I would suggest maybe trying another headphone if you can return or exchange the K712.

I may have to go that route. The weird thing is I read a guys impression of the k712 here on headfi, and he said that properly driven the k712 has low end that similar to the audio technic ath m-50. I am extremely familiar with the ath-m50 because I have been listening to them exclusively for around 5 years now, and I don't see these even coming close.

I bought the k712 to get away from the m50 sound profile because I got bored of the sound. I love the details in the k712 but the bass I it is as if you went in an equalizer and pulled the slider as far down as it goes. There is zero punch to it. I might have to return it.

This is a great way to get started tube rolling the Vali 2. This is my order for this morning. Please note that all tubes have balanced triodes. This is necessary because each channel of the Vali 2 uses one of those triodes. As previously stated, I have most of the holy grail 6922/ 6DJ8/7308 tubes, but so far the Russian Reflectors and Voskhods sound better.

That looks like an awesome selection. Where do you buy your tubes from?

Also do you need any sort of socke converter to run the Russian tubes?

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #1,558 of 3,690

Thanks!

Yes on the burn-in necessity. The K7XXs I use have hundreds of hours on them and while they are not basshead phones, they are not lacking in bass IMO. The K712 is AKG's "Reference/Mastering" version that is actually made in Austria, I would expect the K712 to be a solid headphone with accurate bass. Give it time, in addition to the development and refinement of different frequency ranges, the 3D stage should also improve. But true, you may need a set with more bass.
As far as the DAC/Amp/Tube out of the box, not surprising, they need time also. If you are using the stock tube, good idea to pick up something better. The Reflector 6N23P-EV recommended above by claudW is a great tube, I also highly recommend that tube. I have a few sets of the EVs and I've heard them in the Vali2.
Finally, how are you feeding the DAC, USB, COAX?

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #1,559 of 3,690
I may have to go that route. The weird thing is I read a guys impression of the k712 here on headfi, and he said that properly driven the k712 has low end that similar to the audio technic ath m-50. I am extremely familiar with the ath-m50 because I have been listening to them exclusively for around 5 years now, and I don't see these even coming close.

I bought the k712 to get away from the m50 sound profile because I got bored of the sound. I love the details in the k712 but the bass I it is as if you went in an equalizer and pulled the slider as far down as it goes. There is zero punch to it. I might have to return it.
That looks like an awesome selection. Where do you buy your tubes from?

Also do you need any sort of socke converter to run the Russian tubes?

Not the listed tubes. The more typical Russians you can use straight are the 6N23P and 6N1P.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,560 of 3,690
  Yes on the burn-in necessity. The K7XXs I use have hundreds of hours on them and while they are not basshead phones, they are not lacking in bass IMO. The K712 is AKG's "Reference/Mastering" version that is actually made in Austria, I would expect the K712 to be a solid headphone with accurate bass. Give it time, in addition to the development and refinement of different frequency ranges, the 3D stage should also improve. But true, you may need a set with more bass.
As far as the DAC/Amp/Tube out of the box, not surprising, they need time also. If you are using the stock tube, good idea to pick up something better. The Reflector 6N23P-EV recommended above by claudW is a great tube, I also highly recommend that tube. I have a few sets of the EVs and I've heard them in the Vali2.
Finally, how are you feeding the DAC, USB, COAX?

My entire setup including the phones are brand new out of the box, so perhaps i'll give them a really good burn in session. My k712 have a sticker in the inside that says they are made in slovakia EU. I got them from this ebay retailer http://www.ebay.com/itm/131665852400?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . I am currently feeding my dac with a USB a to b, but i have a tos link cable on the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back