Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Sep 25, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #1,576 of 3,690
  I bought my HD's about two years ago and there is nothing on the headband, just 'made in China' on the box. Maybe they have changed factory again, or perhaps I have  fakes, or maybe my memory has failed..
I'm away on holiday at present- will check when I return home.

I don't think location guarantees better quality, anyway. Both my HD650 and HD600 (bought about 3 years ago) have mold flash (imperfections) on the headband. Not a big deal. 

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #1,577 of 3,690
  I don't think location guarantees better quality, anyway. Both my HD650 and HD600 (bought about 3 years ago) have mold flash (imperfections) on the headband. Not a big deal. 

Absolutely.

I read lots of the individual electronic parts for audio equipment are made in the Far East anyway, even if the whole item is assembled in the 'West'.

With all the Senns that are sold I'm sure we would know by now if there was a problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #1,578 of 3,690
I have never owned and really never had much experience with tube amps. I have been looking for a dac and amp I could hook up to my pc to experience tubes. Would this be a good step from solid state to tubes? How is it wilt iems as well as full size cans?

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #1,579 of 3,690
  I have never owned and really never had much experience with tube amps. I have been looking for a dac and amp I could hook up to my pc to experience tubes. Would this be a good step from solid state to tubes? How is it wilt iems as well as full size cans?

The Vali 2 and Lyr 2 are not true headphone amps like Valhalla2. They are hybrid amps with good power and a tube or tubes to flavor the sound. Solid state always sounds the same. hybrids and tube amps can be flavored or tuned using different tubes.

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #1,580 of 3,690

The Vali 2 and Lyr 2 are not true headphone amps like Valhalla2. They are hybrid amps with good power and a tube or tubes to flavor the sound. Solid state always sounds the same. hybrids and tube amps can be flavored or tuned using different tubes.

Yes I understand that, just not really experienced it. Thats why I was asking about it. Hows its performance with iems and full size cans? are sensitive iems a good match or should one stick with full cans? How much difference do the different tubes make on the sound?

Sep 25, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #1,581 of 3,690

Yes I understand that, just not really experienced it. Thats why I was asking about it. Hows its performance with iems and full size cans? are sensitive iems a good match or should one stick with full cans? How much difference do the different tubes make on the sound?

Vali2 has low and high gain to suit headphones/earphones of different impedance/ sensitivity.

Different tubes make a big difference to me. Just read all the tube rolling threads on Head -Fi to appreciate the differences various tubes can make.
There remain, however, some who can't hear much difference between tubes. You need to experiment for yourself, but the odds are you will hear differences.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,583 of 3,690
To be clear, I do hear differences between tubes.

Thus, I have a drawer full of them :)

I even flavor different Schiit for specific headphones.

Right now the Vali 2 is set up for Sennheiser Amperior.  They have never sounded this good.

r2

Sep 25, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,584 of 3,690
I also think it is very responsive to tube rolling. Very inexpensive way to get the experience and I think you are wise to get a DAC also (Modi Multibit) to get a better sense of the sound stage possibilities. These are nice first purchases since they can still find use in the typical household as a small secondary setup if/when you decide to upgrade.

Of course the Schiit amp needs one of the good tubes to shine (not necessarily expensive) but feeding a good amp with a poor source won't do it. An amp just amplifies what you feed it. Highly recommend one of the Multibits.

Since someone mentioned 'flavor': The difference is like cooking with fresh herbs versus old and stale spices.

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #1,586 of 3,690
The above is from a vintage (both the equipment and the guy) solid state guy who considered tubes to be a hassle and distortions.

One never knows what they will like if they keep an open mind and just try stuff, food, beverage, audio or what have you :)

r2

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #1,587 of 3,690
  I also think it is very responsive to tube rolling. Very inexpensive way to get the experience and I think you are wise to get a DAC also (Modi Multibit) to get a better sense of the sound stage possibilities. These are nice first purchases since they can still find use in the typical household as a small secondary setup if/when you decide to upgrade.

Of course the Schiit amp needs one of the good tubes to shine (not necessarily expensive) but feeding a good amp with a poor source won't do it. An amp just amplifies what you feed it. Highly recommend one of the Multibits.

Since someone mentioned 'flavor': The difference is like cooking with fresh herbs versus old and stale spices.

Why a multibit over the uber?

Sep 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,588 of 3,690

Greater accuracy in the D>A conversion. Will it make a difference in your setup?
True, this is a decision you make without the opportunity to do an A/B comparison. You might feel the $100 is better spent on another part of the audio chain.

Best I can tell you is to survey the information and opinions provided here on Head-Fi, search 'Schiit Multibit' and you will find many pages of information.
Assuming you haven't already read this, so you can start with this summary review/introduction:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/815368/happy-as-a-pig-in-schiit-introducing-modi-multibit

There are several additional links in the article.

Measurement thread for ModiMB:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/817404/modi-mb-technical-measurements

The short version and perhaps the best summary :)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/785369/yggdrasil-gungnir-mb-bifrost-mb-a-terse-ribald-comparison

Sep 26, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,589 of 3,690

The Uber would be like taking in a view of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the winter, versus the sort of colours you'd get during the summer or fall months (which would be more like the gains you may perceive from the Multibit version).

Here's one I took from the summer of 2013:

Your mileage may of course vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back