Official Schiit Vali 2 Thread
Sep 24, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,561 of 3,690

My entire setup including the phones are brand new out of the box, so perhaps i'll give them a really good burn in session. My k712 have a sticker in the inside that says they are made in slovakia EU. I got them from this ebay retailer http://www.ebay.com/itm/131665852400?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . I am currently feeding my dac with a USB a to b, but i have a tos link cable on the way.

OK, did a quick check and I see that both types are being sold, those with and without the "Made in Austria" inscribed. I don't know anything about the variations but you could scan the Amazon reviews to see if buyers are seeing a difference in sound. I don't think Amazon would carry fakes (can happen though). The price including shipping with the seller you linked is a great price. Has to be your call on returning if not happy given the short return period but obviously yours are not the only Slovakia version.

Toslink does not have the USB issues, but do not overlook the quality of the Toslink cable if it's not up to expectations.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,565 of 3,690
  OK, did a quick check and I see that both types are being sold, those with and without the "Made in Austria" inscribed. I don't know anything about the variations but you could scan the Amazon reviews to see if buyers are seeing a difference in sound. I don't think Amazon would carry fakes (can happen though). The price including shipping with the seller you linked is a great price. Has to be your call on returning if not happy given the short return period but obviously yours are not the only Slovakia version.

Toslink does not have the USB issues, but do not overlook the quality of the Toslink cable if it's not up to expectations.

I'll give a week of burning in before considering exchanging them. I think it is too soon to jump too a decision considering everything i have is completely new and not burned in.
  Pick a flavor of Beyerdynamic,

JMTC,
r2

Those were next on my list. If i wind up liking the k712, i would probably add some version of these to my colleciton

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,566 of 3,690

Thank you, and so do you :wink:

r2

Yeah, but your list is bigger than mine...

Speaking of, how is the MJ2?? You should be enjoying some awesome sound with the Gumby and that tube collection!
beyersmile.png

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,567 of 3,690
Sennheiser HD 650 > balanced cable > Mjolnir 2 (currently 6N3P-E OTK Reflektor - NOS 1989 - Gold Grid - 1.4 % match) > Gungnir MB > IMac via USB > Apple Lossless via iTunes

Great Googly Moogly!

YMMV,
r2

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,569 of 3,690
I may have to go that route. The weird thing is I read a guys impression of the k712 here on headfi, and he said that properly driven the k712 has low end that similar to the audio technic ath m-50. I am extremely familiar with the ath-m50 because I have been listening to them exclusively for around 5 years now, and I don't see these even coming close.

I bought the k712 to get away from the m50 sound profile because I got bored of the sound. I love the details in the k712 but the bass I it is as if you went in an equalizer and pulled the slider as far down as it goes. There is zero punch to it. I might have to return it.
That looks like an awesome selection. Where do you buy your tubes from?

Also do you need any sort of socke converter to run the Russian tubes?

The Tube Store. Very reputable and fair pricing if they have what you want in stock.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #1,570 of 3,690

The Tube Store. Very reputable and fair pricing if they have what you want in stock.

I'll check em out for sure, and I'm eye balling that Reflector 6H23p-EB.  So will this thing plug straight into the Vali 2, or does it need something additional to make it work?

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #1,571 of 3,690

I'll check em out for sure, and I'm eye balling that Reflector 6H23p-EB.  So will this thing plug straight into the Vali 2, or does it need something additional to make it work?

Yes and so will 6922, 7308 and 6DJ8 and 6N1P look around on the 6922 page.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #1,572 of 3,690

Yes and so will 6922, 7308 and 6DJ8 and 6N1P look around on the 6922 page

Perfect, thanks for all the help. I have much research to do, and thats the fun part about a new hobby!

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,573 of 3,690

My entire setup including the phones are brand new out of the box, so perhaps i'll give them a really good burn in session. My k712 have a sticker in the inside that says they are made in slovakia EU. I got them from this ebay retailer http://www.ebay.com/itm/131665852400?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT . I am currently feeding my dac with a USB a to b, but i have a tos link cable on the way.

K712 has been made in Slovakia for a couple of years. I would think you would probably only find used ones made in Austria. From what I've read it makes no difference where they are made.
Sennheiser HD600/650 have been built in China for a while now and they remain very popular.

K712 gives a very different sound from the M50.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #1,575 of 3,690

My recently bought HD650 still says "Made in Ireland" on the underside of the headband. 

I bought my HD's about two years ago and there is nothing on the headband, just 'made in China' on the box. Maybe they have changed factory again, or perhaps I have  fakes, or maybe my memory has failed..
I'm away on holiday at present- will check when I return home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back