*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 22, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,341 of 2,577
So I just got my HD650 in the mail and am listening to it plugged into my LG V10 which has the ESS Sabre chips in it. So it's got great specs and great power for a smartphone. My preferred listening level seems to be around 40 out of 75, so about 53%. Not sure why I also ordered a Magni. It'll arrive Friday anyway, so I guess have to try it and see.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #2,342 of 2,577

Magni 2 Uber has been ordered! It's been a while since I had a desktop headphone amp. 

I am also bidding on a Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6xx on ebay right now. It includes the regularly supplied cable, plus some kind of upgrade cable. Seller didn't list details on the cable, but whatever. Right now it's at $255 and ends in a few hours. It's also been a while since I had an HD650. Had one a few years ago along with a Headroom amp/dac but had to sell it all when I ran into a small money problem and had other priorities. 

Nice man!
I'm sure you will enjoy it

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,343 of 2,577
I found my Magni 2 made my HD 6XX have tighter/cleaner low end.  My HTC One M9 had no issues when it came to volume so I'd play it at around 50-70% volume.  But I found a small but noticeable improvement when hooking up to the Magni.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #2,344 of 2,577
So I just got my HD650 in the mail and am listening to it plugged into my LG V10 which has the ESS Sabre chips in it. So it's got great specs and great power for a smartphone. My preferred listening level seems to be around 40 out of 75, so about 53%. Not sure why I also ordered a Magni. It'll arrive Friday anyway, so I guess have to try it and see.

When I went from iphone 6 to Magni 2 with the 650, the background sounds came out of the shadows, and each note sounded fuller with more weight and body to it.  The smoothness also improved.  I'm sure the V10 has a better sound section than the iphone 6, so I'll be interested to hear your impressions going from V10 to M2U.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #2,345 of 2,577
When I went from iphone 6 to Magni 2 with the 650, the background sounds came out of the shadows, and each note sounded fuller with more weight and body to it.  The smoothness also improved.  I'm sure the V10 has a better sound section than the iphone 6, so I'll be interested to hear your impressions going from V10 to M2U.

I'm expecting a slight improvement. I'll report back after a couple days with it.

Mar 24, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,346 of 2,577
What a sexy little beast this thing is. It's smaller than I had envisioned it being. It sounds great so far though. Biggest thing I noticed so far over using the V10 with the HD650 is noticeably deeper bass extension and better dynamic range.

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,351 of 2,577
hey all, a question regarding a setup involving the m2u stack, a computer, headphones, powered speakers, and now a turntable. 

what do i need to add to allow the turntable to be connected to the stack, a SYS? i haven't seen a picture anywhere of how everything actually connects with this sort of setup, but i think that's my best option, other than manually disconnecting and reconnecting whatever source i am using at the moment, which is the whole point of having an all in one ready to go setup.

if i do get the SYS, do i still need a pre amp for the turntable, or will the magni 2u be handling that with the sys?

trying to visualize this i think it would go something like:

computer > modi2u > sys
turntable > sys (or pre amp and then sys?)
sys > magni2u > headphones
magni2u > jbl lsr305s

Apr 3, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,352 of 2,577
  hey all, a question regarding a setup involving the m2u stack, a computer, headphones, powered speakers, and now a turntable. 

what do i need to add to allow the turntable to be connected to the stack, a SYS? i haven't seen a picture anywhere of how everything actually connects with this sort of setup, but i think that's my best option, other than manually disconnecting and reconnecting whatever source i am using at the moment, which is the whole point of having an all in one ready to go setup.

if i do get the SYS, do i still need a pre amp for the turntable, or will the magni 2u be handling that with the sys?

trying to visualize this i think it would go something like:

computer > modi2u > sys
turntable > sys (or pre amp and then sys?)
sys > magni2u > headphones
magni2u > jbl lsr305s

Depends on your tunrtable but you probably will need a phono preamp like a Mani in there (turntable > Mani > Sys)

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #2,355 of 2,577
So tonight I'm using my Magni 2 Uber with my Brainwavz HM5 on low gain for the first time. Compared to using the HD650 on high gain, the amp is quite a bit cooler using the HM5. I know they are lower impedance and much easier to drive, but I wasn't expecting it to run this much cooler. Still loving this amp,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back