*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 12, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,206 of 2,577
Dec 12, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #2,208 of 2,577

Did you A/B compare them, volume matched, using a switch?

Yes. I a/b with the modi2u and the lcd-2 r2. Besides a/b, i also listened to each amp carefuly for many weeks. I wish I could have chosen the magni2 standard because it is cheaper but I chose the Uber after all. It was all about sound quality.

Dec 12, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #2,209 of 2,577
  Yes. I a/b with the modi2u and the lcd-2 r2. Besides a/b, i also listened to each amp carefuly for many weeks. I wish I could have chosen the magni2 standard because it is cheaper but I chose the Uber after all. It was all about sound quality.

Which A/B switch did you use?

Dec 12, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #2,210 of 2,577
Hi, I have just recently bought the hd 600, a decent upgrade over my previous dt 770's. I altso have untill today only had a steinberg ci1 soundcard to power them with. The Steinberg soundcard did power them pretty well, but i heard some muddyness in the bass on some tracks. And from what i have read, the hd 600 have a bump in ohm at about 100hz. So i thought buying the magni 2 to power them would make a good improvement.

After a/b testing using the steinberg as a dac into the magni 2 vs the headphone out on the steinberg, i can't really hear any difference. Does that mean that the steinberg soundcard's dac and headphone amp is just fine, or does it mean that i would hear a bigger difference if i bought a different dac for my magni 2?

Dec 12, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #2,212 of 2,577
  Hi, I have just recently bought the hd 600, a decent upgrade over my previous dt 770's. I altso have untill today only had a steinberg ci1 soundcard to power them with. The Steinberg soundcard did power them pretty well, but i heard some muddyness in the bass on some tracks. And from what i have read, the hd 600 have a bump in ohm at about 100hz. So i thought buying the magni 2 to power them would make a good improvement.

After a/b testing using the steinberg as a dac into the magni 2 vs the headphone out on the steinberg, i can't really hear any difference. Does that mean that the steinberg soundcard's dac and headphone amp is just fine, or does it mean that i would hear a bigger difference if i bought a different dac for my magni 2?

I am not Familiar with the Steinberg except from the website. There is not a lot of info about whats in there so I am guessing nothing special. From my trials and errors. I found Transducers, Then DACS make a more overall difference in SQ. However, "Muddyness" in Bass could, maybe, possibly be not enough power in the amp but I doubt that, I have a Magni 2 Uber and I never needed all of its power. You have very good pair of headphones and good amp. If it were me I would try a different Dac, even better if you have a friends with ones you can try before you buy.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #2,213 of 2,577
I have a quick question. Will the modi 2(normal) and the magni 2 uber's different chassis have a noticeable color difference since I don't need the modi 2 uber's extra inputs and want to save a little bit of cash.

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #2,214 of 2,577
I have a quick question. Will the modi 2(normal) and the magni 2 uber's different chassis have a noticeable color difference since I don't need the modi 2 uber's extra inputs and want to save a little bit of cash.

To me, yes it's very noticeable, but it doesn't bother me that much. I had the modi 2 Uber and the magni 2.

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #2,219 of 2,577
  I've recently learned that magni 2 falls a little more on the bright side as far as amps go?

The FR is as flat as can be so I don't see how it can sound bright. Although some say the LED is a bit on the bright side.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back