*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 9, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #2,192 of 2,577
  Hello guys.

I'm going to order a MAGNI 2 UBER or a MAGNI 2 for my senns 700HDs.

what is the difference in these AMPs?

Check Schiit's web site, it's very detailed. You can see the differences in features and determine what you require. As far as power output, if you think in dB rather than wattage, it isn't large. I believe the Uber has a better finish, looks nicer at matches their better products.

Dec 9, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,193 of 2,577
Last night I connected the line out of the E10K to the Magni 2.  Previously, I was using only the E10K as both DAC and amp, which I was fairly happy with, especially with the E10K's bass boost on.  Below are my initial impressions of the 650 with each set up.

The E10K alone can easily power the 650.  In low gain, a comfortable volume was 3-4 on the dial.  5-6 on the dial being pretty loud.  Switching to high gain obviously adds volume but also adds a sharpness and edge to the treble.  The E10K amp section already has a little bit of edginess and sharpness to certain treble frequencies evident on some songs.  Soundstage, layering, depth, and separation are quite decent to pretty good.  Detail is good.  Bass is very light unless the bass boost is turned on, in which case it's pretty good.  Overall, the E10K is a decent listen and a pretty good one considering its price.

Now, using the E10K as a DAC only and connecting its line output to the Magni 2, the sound is very different, in some ways better and in some ways worse.  Low gain only provides barely adequate volume, but I found that in this particular set up, the Magni 2 needs to be set on high gain for proper volume control.  On high gain, a comfortable level is about 30-40% on the dial.  Comfortably loud is about 60% on the dial.  With this set up, the sound is fuller, more weighty and well rounded.  The edginess/sharpness to the treble is completely gone, replaced by a nice crisp upper treble.  Mids are fuller and more present.  Bass is a bit more pronounced, but still too light for my taste.  So I took the FR bass boost graph from Fiio's website and reproduced it best I could in EqualizerAPO.  Sounded much better with the bass EQ'd in, similar to the E10K's bass boost, but tighter.  I noticed I could crank the volume higher with the Magni 2 without the mids or highs getting too loud forcing me to want to turn it down.  Basically, with the Magni 2 I can play the music much louder and still hear everything comfortably.

Now, to the surprising negatives to the sound using the E10K DAC and Magni 2.  First and foremost, the soundstage shrunk considerably.  It's virtually non-existent by comparison.  A very 2 dimensional sound.  Likewise, the layering and depth were gone.  Very little of that by comparison.  It's more like an even wall of sound coming from the same distance.  Sound separation still there but not quite as good as with the Fiio alone.  I was very surprised the sound quality decreased so apparently in these aspects with the Magni 2.

Considering the Fiio DAC is used in both setups, I'd have to attribute the loss of soundstage, layering, and depth to the Magni 2.

Is there anything out there under $200 that provides fullness, body, volume, and smoothness, while also providing soundstage, layering, depth, detail, and separation?

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #2,194 of 2,577

Check Schiit's web site, it's very detailed. You can see the differences in features and determine what you require. As far as power output, if you think in dB rather than wattage, it isn't large. I believe the Uber has a better finish, looks nicer at matches their better products.

I did look i seen there was a out put for speakers but my speakers are gaming speakers not sure if i need a AMP
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-21-pc-speaker-system-wiith-sub-woofer-232watts-rms-wir

I'm just a noob to audio so not sure which ones to go for so seeking advice and knowledge from people who know about AMPS.
I'm going to run a output from my MOBO to the AMP and use it for my headphones. 

I was told to go for a tube AMP but its my Frist so want a good SS AMP.

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #2,195 of 2,577
  I did look i seen there was a out put for speakers but my speakers are gaming speakers not sure if i need a AMP
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-gaming-audio-series-sp2500-high-power-21-pc-speaker-system-wiith-sub-woofer-232watts-rms-wir

I'm just a noob to audio so not sure which ones to go for so seeking advice and knowledge from people who know about AMPS.

​By the looks of it, those are powered speakers and will not need their own amp.  I have a similar setup for my PC, so I got the Magni 2 Uber, and I use the Uber's variable Pre-outs to control the volume on the speakers instead of the inline volume control (I'm not sure if you'll be able to completely replace the volume control, but my Logitech speakers had the control in the wire, so it was easy to bypass).

Also, you'll likely also need several 3.5mm to stereo RCA cables.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #2,196 of 2,577
discernible

The tube vs. SS debate can get very hot. I'm in the SS camp as I look for no discernible distortion. IMO a top quality tube amp has no discernible but costs more than an equivalent SS amp.
If your speakers are powered then as already suggested the Uber will serve you well. When it comes to audio forums my best advice is to protect your wallet at all times, Schiit offers great products at various price points, so you're looking at the right vendor.

Dec 11, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #2,197 of 2,577
Hey guys, in February I bought a Magni 2 Uber to pair with my soon arriving TH-X00. Everything went perfectly fine, I was pleased with the extra oomph it gave to my HD 25-1, and was happy I now had a powerful amp for any mid-fi headphone I wanted to buy.

Fast forward to April, and my wall wart died all of a sudden, there was no power outage, nothing. I think my Magni still works since I fed it using a regular AC/DC adapter which will turn it on, but sound won't come out. Anyways, I emailed their customer service and was quickly sent a replacement to the original shipping address, problem was, I do not live in the US and was just spending my vacations at that place. I tried to explain this to the employee, but they just said they will only ship to the original address, that's their return policy.

I was somewhat upset, since it wasn't much work to just ship it somewhere else, and the worst part is that I wanted it shipped to San Diego, the original city where it arrived, just a different address. They don't know this because they didn't even ask, which I thought was kinda ****ty from them, I wished they would have at least offered something different.

Anyway, let's just say that's their policy and it's pretty strict. Now, the problem is that I've tried to contact them twice since, to at least get it shipped there, but now they won't even answer my emails. I've been 8 months without being able to use my Magni, and I couldn't even test it with the Fostex.
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with Schiit. I'll try calling their customer service (over my outrageously expensive overseas fees) and see if I get a better result
Any advice?

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,198 of 2,577
Every once in a while, I have to continously power on and off my Modi 2U so that the computer I have it hooked up to can recognize it again. Is this a common issue for anyone else? Windows 10.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #2,199 of 2,577
Hey guys, in February I bought a Magni 2 Uber to pair with my soon arriving TH-X00. Everything went perfectly fine, I was pleased with the extra oomph it gave to my HD 25-1, and was happy I now had a powerful amp for any mid-fi headphone I wanted to buy.

Fast forward to April, and my wall wart died all of a sudden, there was no power outage, nothing. I think my Magni still works since I fed it using a regular AC/DC adapter which will turn it on, but sound won't come out. Anyways, I emailed their customer service and was quickly sent a replacement to the original shipping address, problem was, I do not live in the US and was just spending my vacations at that place. I tried to explain this to the employee, but they just said they will only ship to the original address, that's their return policy.

I was somewhat upset, since it wasn't much work to just ship it somewhere else, and the worst part is that I wanted it shipped to San Diego, the original city where it arrived, just a different address. They don't know this because they didn't even ask, which I thought was kinda ****ty from them, I wished they would have at least offered something different.

Anyway, let's just say that's their policy and it's pretty strict. Now, the problem is that I've tried to contact them twice since, to at least get it shipped there, but now they won't even answer my emails. I've been 8 months without being able to use my Magni, and I couldn't even test it with the Fostex.
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with Schiit. I'll try calling their customer service (over my outrageously expensive overseas fees) and see if I get a better result
Any advice?

I realize you are standing on principal, but at this point why don't you just order a replacement wall-wart from the Schiit website and have it sent to the location of your choice. At least you will be back up and running.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #2,200 of 2,577
  discernible
The tube vs. SS debate can get very hot. I'm in the SS camp as I look for no discernible distortion. IMO a top quality tube amp has no discernible but costs more than an equivalent SS amp.
If your speakers are powered then as already suggested the Uber will serve you well. When it comes to audio forums my best advice is to protect your wallet at all times, Schiit offers great products at various price points, so you're looking at the right vendor.

Yeah my speakers will be fine the way they are as its a good set up.

But i want the AMP mainly for my HD700's and to get the best sound i can when playing games and maybe some youtube vid/music.

So apart from the output for speakers there is no difference in the hardware?

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,201 of 2,577
  Yeah my speakers will be fine the way they are as its a good set up.

But i want the AMP mainly for my HD700's and to get the best sound i can when playing games and maybe some youtube vid/music.

So apart from the output for speakers there is no difference in the hardware?

You mean the preamp out for powered speakers. That and the Uber has a little more power, not all that much when you look at it in dB, which relates to how we hear it.

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #2,202 of 2,577
Greetings to all, read the whole thread, I liked the reviews, so far bought the uber modi 2, but not for a long time he worked, refuses to work at all, distorts the sound, the sound disappears sometimes, does not respond to the button for switching the input channels.

I'm sorry for the English, I have been through a translator.

Dec 11, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,203 of 2,577

Any advice?

I realize you are standing on principal, but at this point why don't you just order a replacement wall-wart from the Schiit website and have it sent to the location of your choice. At least you will be back up and running.

I really don't want to pay $20 to replace a faulty product under warranty, I guess I'll have to do that. Probably never buying from Schiit again, I originally intended to get the combo, well not anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back