*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Dec 3, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #2,177 of 2,577
Would this be a good set up for the Senns HD700'S?

Or would the cheaper MAGNI 2 stack work the same? going to be using for gaming most of all.

I haven't used the HD700 but it was a good setup for my HD650s.

Dec 3, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,178 of 2,577
  I just got the Magni 2 and am using it with Audioquest Dragonfly v. 1.2 DAC from the laptop.  Magni 2 sounds good but just a little too bright for my taste.  Is this a known characteristic of this amp?  Can I expect the brightness to calm down with some burn in?  Really good sounding amp, but damn, just too bright.

Can I expect the brightness of the Magni 2 to calm down with some burn in, or will it sound the same as day 1?  If it benefits from burn in, how many hours?

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #2,179 of 2,577
Can I expect the brightness of the Magni 2 to calm down with some burn in, or will it sound the same as day 1?  If it benefits from burn in, how many hours?

It depends on these person. I actually recommend listening to it more. Your brain will get used to it.

Dec 3, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,181 of 2,577
I'd like to replace my "NuForce UDAC-2" and I was looking at the "Modi 2" and "Modi 2 UBER".....(I'm also seeing the SMSL M8, but I don't know wether is a good option, since I mostly hear 320Kbps music (Spotify Premium, Foobar2000 music, etc)..some CD quality flacs at max. And it has bad support). 
Objective: Improve quality / solve Udac-2 issues, random weird crisp sounds when switching tracks, stopping/playing music, etc. 

- Modi 2: I like this one because is USB powered so I don't need to turn it ON/OFF every time I use it. PC's Sleep function will do that (And for the speakers, KRK RP6G3, they turn off after 30 minutes of no input). (Obviously the price is also a big plus). 
( I don't suffer ground loop in my current PC: Enermax Revolution X't PSU and Asrock B85M-ITX motherboard )

- Modi 2 Uber: I'm tempted with the Optical input (never tried Optical, I have a realtek onboard optical output, 24/192Khz "according to Windows 10 settings"). If I can leave it always ON, and it consumes low energy in idle, I'd go for this option.  

Now, do you recommend me the upgrade? Or it doesn't worth it.
Bonus question: Is the UBER power supply, really linear? Because when I search for a linear power supply, I only find big boxes, not "wall warts". 

Dec 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,183 of 2,577

Doesn't work for me when it comes to brightness.  I don't like brightness and never will.  I'm hoping the unit itself can settle down with some use.

It won't, not by enough. (I don't think the unit settles down; I think your head gets used to the unit.) I have a Magni 2 Uber, and after a few months of it I just ordered a Liquid Carbon. I'll try it with the Modi 2 Uber while I shop for a new DAC. But yeah, I hear you brother, I think the stack is quality, but it is not for everyone and not for every pair of phones.

Plus side, I can get started selling stuff on the forums here.

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,184 of 2,577

It won't, not by enough. (I don't think the unit settles down; I think your head gets used to the unit.) I have a Magni 2 Uber, and after a few months of it I just ordered a Liquid Carbon. I'll try it with the Modi 2 Uber while I shop for a new DAC. But yeah, I hear you brother, I think the stack is quality, but it is not for everyone and not for every pair of phones.

Plus side, I can get started selling stuff on the forums here.

I switched from using it with Dragonfly DAC to iPhone 6 and the brightness was much reduced with a bit more bass. Very listenable.  I really don't want to spring for the Modi 2 DAC if I don't have to.  Not sure if Modi is more neutral than Dragonfly 1.2.

I got the Magni 2 to use with HD 650, but honestly the 650 sounds pretty good just from my Fiio E10K.  May just stay with that.

Dec 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #2,185 of 2,577
I currently have the modi 2 uber. If it can only sample 24/192 music does that mean that my DSD music collection (64/128) is being down sampled? I mainly have the DSD files for my DAP which I know can play and sample dsd. Sorry if this is a really noob like question. Thanks

Dec 5, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #2,186 of 2,577
thatguyuphigh

Don't know the player or OS you are using, but mainly yes! I have Foobar2000 and have it setup to convert DSD to PCM sample-rate 176400. Witch then play utilizing ASIO driver under W10.

Dec 8, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,188 of 2,577

I had the same issue (paired with HD600) and it never calmed down for me.  I ended up selling the Magni 2 and going with the Vali (found a Vali 1 dirt cheap).  Far superior pairing IMO (if you can handle the microphonics when turning it on or bumping it).  I plan on replacing the Vali with a Bottlehead Crack that I've yet to assemble...

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #2,189 of 2,577

I had the same issue (paired with HD600) and it never calmed down for me.  I ended up selling the Magni 2 and going with the Vali (found a Vali 1 dirt cheap).  Far superior pairing IMO (if you can handle the microphonics when turning it on or bumping it).  I plan on replacing the Vali with a Bottlehead Crack that I've yet to assemble...

I must say that most of my issues with the Magni 2 brightness were mostly attributable to the Audioquest Dragonfly v. 1.2 that I paired it with.  It's a bad pairing.  Made the 650 sound thin, bright, and no body.  The Dragonfly by itself sounds quite good, just a touch bright and a bit lacking in bass.  Paired with Magni 2, way too bright.

Connected iphone 6 to Magni 2 and immediate improvement.  Much more neutral.  I'll be trying the Magni 2 with the line out on the E10K soon.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,190 of 2,577
I too am

I switched from using it with Dragonfly DAC to iPhone 6 and the brightness was much reduced with a bit more bass. Very listenable.  I really don't want to spring for the Modi 2 DAC if I don't have to.  Not sure if Modi is more neutral than Dragonfly 1.2.

I got the Magni 2 to use with HD 650, but honestly the 650 sounds pretty good just from my Fiio E10K.  May just stay with that.

I finally got around to trying 24 bit 192khz, and the higher res really improves the sound. It's still too bright with both of my phones (Primes and HE 400i), but far more tolerable.

One thing about MM2U though, it's fantastic for gaming. I'll probably keep the stack just for that purpose. Is there any way to do a USB A/B switch without signal issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back