*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,146 of 2,577
I'm thinking about getting the modi, and I am just wondering if anyone has tried to stream Google play from their Android device through the modi via OGT cable or a like.

Has anyone had success running Google play through their PC to the modi?

This is part of what I am looking for in a DAC beyond playing flac files from my PC. I was wondering if it's possible? thanks!

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #2,147 of 2,577
I'm thinking about getting the modi, and I am just wondering if anyone has tried to stream Google play from their Android device through the modi via OGT cable or a like.

This is part of what I am looking for in a DAC beyond playing flac files from my PC. I was wondering if it's possible? thanks!

I've done so from my Android phone via OTG as well as from my laptop via USB. Some Android phones might require a powered USB Hub.

Here's a free open source Google Music app for multiple platforms, even Windoze. Works better than using a browser.
https://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,148 of 2,577

I use Google Play via USB from my PC, as well as over optical from a Chrome Cast audio, both feeding my Mimby.  It sounds pretty good.  I've never used USB OTG from an Android device though.

Nov 15, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #2,156 of 2,577
Posted this on the dedicated source subforum, didn't see this megathread. 

Anyone know how a Xonar DX compares to the modi 2U? I feel like my Modi 2U doesn't sound very different, if at all, from my Xonar. But so far I've only tested them with my Swan M10 speakers, so I'm unsure if it's just the speakers being unable to show the difference or if there's really not a big difference. 

That said, the Modi doesn't suffer from the rare, but recurring, loud static from the Xonar on Windows.

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,157 of 2,577
I got the Jotunheim and enjoyed the magni 2U for a while. Gonna sell this baby. Great amp, the JOtunheim is just new topology and is very resolving and I needed something with a balanced output for my LCD4. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back