*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Oct 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #2,116 of 2,577
I have a question about making sure you are using the WDM driver as opposed to Direct Sound in Windows 10 with the Modi Multibit. It is to my understanding that the traditional only way you can get the WDM to be used is to have an application that can take exclusive control of the Modi and use the WDM driver instead of going through direct sound. Applications like Tidal and Jriver seem to be able to do this and provide really good sound. However at least in my case when I give Tidal exclusive control over the Modi I don't get any sounds from anything else. This is fine when all I am doing is listening to music but when I am multitasking or working this becomes a problem. The only way I have found so far around all of this is to download VB-Audio Voicementer Bananna but I am not sure that It is actually doing me any good. In the voicemeeter software it creates it's own virtual inputs and outputs that show up in the windows sound panel and you can set it to the default input and output of your OS and then have it take control of the Modi but it seems like it can only do 96k max. Not bad but not the full potential of the Modi. It also doesn't seem to sound quite as good as giving Tidal exclusive to the Modi, but I do think it sounds a bit better than using direct sound. Is there a better solution out there than this? Seems like you either have the option of lower quality sound and a normal working system or higher quality sound but you can only listen to sound from one application. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,117 of 2,577
Know what you mean...I've posted reviews on the original Valhalla and the Magni 2. I gave the Valhalla 5 stars and the Magni (2) four stars. But I had occasion to quickly A>B them recently using a pair of RCA male>dual RCA female splitters. With the gain matched (easy to do, since their gain is identical with the volume pots @ same position), I was not able to hear ANY difference between the two. NONE. The Magni 2 (with HD650's) sounded about as smooth and velvety as did the Valhalla. Did the Magni 2 break in more, or did I just hear what I wanted to hear with the Valhalla? Maybe a little of both, but probably subliminal things are at play here. Long term listening, my ears just relax a little more still with the Valhalla, probably because of some 2nd order harmonics. But I've come away even more impressed by the Magni 2. With the HD 650's it is THE one to beat for bargain amplifiers, IMHO.

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #2,118 of 2,577
  Know what you mean...I've posted reviews on the original Valhalla and the Magni 2. I gave the Valhalla 5 stars and the Magni (2) four stars. But I had occasion to quickly A>B them recently using a pair of RCA male>dual RCA female splitters. With the gain matched (easy to do, since their gain is identical with the volume pots @ same position), I was not able to hear ANY difference between the two. NONE. The Magni 2 (with HD650's) sounded about as smooth and velvety as did the Valhalla. Did the Magni 2 break in more, or did I just hear what I wanted to hear with the Valhalla? Maybe a little of both, but probably subliminal things are at play here. Long term listening, my ears just relax a little more still with the Valhalla, probably because of some 2nd order harmonics. But I've come away even more impressed by the Magni 2. With the HD 650's it is THE one to beat for bargain amplifiers, IMHO.

Perhaps both amplifiers have distortion levels that are below a human's ability to perceive and they both have a flat FR in our hearing range. IMO, we are subject to all sorts of perceptual limits that we are not very aware of and expectation begins to color our experience. 
Perhaps your new experience will allow you to just enjoy your kit without worries. I think it's the headphones that make the real difference.

Oct 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #2,119 of 2,577
You are right, and I am! Still, I wish somebody would post on what the Magni 2 sounds like with a more challenging load, like an Oppo-something that'd make my Valhalla puke!

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,120 of 2,577
  You are right, and I am! Still, I wish somebody would post on what the Magni 2 sounds like with a more challenging load, like an Oppo-something that'd make my Valhalla puke!

The Magni has a low impedance output with a good measure of power. It's clean as a whistle and has a flat FR. Sounds good to me. I have an original Magni and it does a great job with my Hifiman Planars that want a good Watt. The original Magi has distortion levels better than anyone can really tell, so what can one expect with the Magni 2. I wouldn't waste time overthinking and would rather be listening.

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #2,123 of 2,577
So after a little over a week or so, I must say that I love the stack overall.  My only gripe is I wish they would have moved the volume knob over more, away from the plug, the very least, but also making the knob larger.  I am so impressed with the sound of it.  Now if my dang k7xx's would show up, I'd be happy.  They were supposed to arrive today, but no bueno.  Hoping for tomorrow.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #2,128 of 2,577
  Send it back for a replacement , after trying other headphones, if it is still bad.

It should be really good. Quality control can be a problem. At least then you will know.

Edited:

Ok I should have given it more time before posting. Sound is definitely getting better, man that first contact is jarring.  Still doesn't sound great, but I should withhold judgment until I try better phones. I am listening right now to a custom LotR historical battle gameplay. The separation of commentary from the game sound is startling. With on board audio it's all jumbled together. Over the Schiit stack it's like the game sounds are playing on one source, and the dude is talking over my shoulder. I don't know if that even makes sense, this difference; should this stack give you better sound separation than on board? But I am not imagining this. If this holds across music and games, it's worth the upgrade alone.

But I stand by what I was saying -- this build quality is not good. Downright disappointing for $300 frankly. I'm not saying that's a premium price point, but that's where you start to get less forgiving of things like cosmetic blemishes.

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #2,129 of 2,577

Edited:

Ok I should have given it more time before posting. Sound is definitely getting better, man that first contact is jarring.  Still doesn't sound great, but I should withhold judgment until I try better phones. I am listening right now to a custom LotR historical battle gameplay. The separation of commentary from the game sound is startling. With on board audio it's all jumbled together. Over the Schiit stack it's like the game sounds are playing on one source, and the dude is talking over my shoulder. I don't know if that even makes sense, this difference; should this stack give you better sound separation than on board? But I am not imagining this. If this holds across music and games, it's worth the upgrade alone.

But I stand by what I was saying -- this build quality is not good. Downright disappointing for $300 frankly. I'm not saying that's a premium price point, but that's where you start to get less forgiving of things like cosmetic blemishes.

Now I just purchase the Uber2 stack as well and my experience has been completely different. I think mine with the Takstar Pro80's sounded awesome, and now with the AKG k7xx's sound really good as well.  Let me ask this, are you only listening to game play footage?  Are you listening to any Lossless audio files?  Also what headphones are you using? good ones? cheap ones?

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2,130 of 2,577
Hello everyone,
Tonight my Magni2U  output sound only on one channel. I tried to turn it on/off few times and swapped the cable at the back of the amp but it was still the same. After a while sitting in the panic, I tried to switch the gain of the amp then it worked perfectly again
biggrin.gif
. Does anyone undergo the same situation? Will I need to bring my Magni along in my travel trip to the USA so that I get it checked by Schiit?
Thank you,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back