*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jun 23, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,911 of 2,577
The Magni 2 Uber is considerably more powerful than the Magni 2. If your headphones benefit from more power, then the choice is easy.

You can check the specs of both here: http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,913 of 2,577
  Also, the Grace produces much less power than either the Magni 2 or Magni 2 Uber. IMHO it is not worth $700.

Do audition it. IME the Grace drives the HD800 without any problems and the sound was better than pairing the HD800 with Bifrost & Lyr2.

Jun 24, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #1,914 of 2,577
  Do audition it. IME the Grace drives the HD800 without any problems and the sound was better than pairing the HD800 with Bifrost & Lyr2.

Thanks. The sound difference is likely due to the DACs, not so much the amps. The lower power of the Grace is more than enough for the HD800s. I live in the boonies, so I'll not likely get the chance to audition the Grace. :)

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #1,915 of 2,577

These pieces of Schiit look good, don't they? :D
Joined the club.

Two questions:

1. Should I use Hi or Lo gain for my beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm? What's the difference anyway? :/

2. I connected my PS4 to Modi 2 U via a 10m long TOSLINK cable. Yea, it's really far off in the room. Will it work regardless or am I out of luck? :/

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #1,916 of 2,577

These pieces of Schiit look good, don't they? :D
Joined the club.

Two questions:

1. Should I use Hi or Lo gain for my beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm? What's the difference anyway? :/

2. I connected my PS4 to Modi 2 U via a 10m long TOSLINK cable. Yea, it's really far off in the room. Will it work regardless or am I out of luck? :/

1.  Difference is power through the output.  Low for efficient cans, high for inefficient.  Try both and see which you prefer.  Often with high gain you may only be able to get volume to about 9 oclock or so.  Desired range would be 11-12 or so since volume controls can mistrack between channels at very low settings.  EG.  One side louder than the other.

2.  theoretically should not be a problem, but toslink can be bandwith challenged at high sampling rates with most hardware.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #1,917 of 2,577

It should work, but you're probably exposing yourself to important timing errors (i.e. jitter). Data transmission don't like long cables, in the sense that the longer the cable the stronger the attenuation of the signal (voltages for USB or Caox or light intensity for Optical). For USB the spec requires cables less than 3m long to avoid flipped bits. For Optical issues are pretty similar, and at great lengths (and with adapters in the path, if any), complications are probable.

Jun 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #1,918 of 2,577
@landroni

Jeepers, I wonder how my internet provider gives me smooth error free data at 800 megabits a second using optical fiber that is hundreds of feet away from a junction box and miles and miles around the city?

And I must be a bit dense, but never have been exposed to "flipped bits".  What does that sound like?

What is that?  I need to get edumucated
confused.gif

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,919 of 2,577
  @landroni

Jeepers, I wonder how my internet provider gives me smooth error free data at 800 megabits a second using optical fiber that is hundreds of feet away from a junction box and miles and miles around the city?

And I must be a bit dense, but never have been exposed to "flipped bits".  What does that sound like?

What is that?  I need to get edumucated
confused.gif

Your internet provider will use Error Correction Mechanisms, which means checksums and re-fetching of lost packets, if needed. USB Audio and SPDIF do no ECC.

If your sole concern when moving bits is to store bits digitally, then things are simpler. But if you're dealing with real-time streaming of bits, then things are more fragile. Timing errors are irrelevant for downloading files --- in practice even a second won't be noticeable. Now imagine 1sec jitter when playing an audio file... Now I'm not saying you'll get such jitter with audio, but this is to make clear that the constraints are very different in the two cases and the analogy unhelpful.

I'm not sure if you're being snarky, though. Please don't.

Jun 27, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,920 of 2,577

Your internet provider will use Error Correction Mechanisms, which means checksums and re-fetching of lost packets, if needed. USB Audio and SPDIF do no ECC.

If your sole concern when moving bits is to store bits digitally, then things are simpler. But if you're dealing with real-time streaming of bits, then things are more fragile. Timing errors are irrelevant for downloading files --- in practice even a second won't be noticeable. Now imagine 1sec jitter when playing an audio file... Now I'm not saying you'll get such jitter with audio, but this is to make clear that the constraints are very different in the two cases and the analogy unhelpful.

I'm not sure if you're being snarky, though. Please don't.

Just trying to understand, I learn something every day.

You make some bold statements about optical in general not toslink per se.  Optical fiber (not Toslink, just to be clear) has tremendous ability to transfer tons of data successfully without resending packets all the time. And I know how music streamed to dac works vs a file transfer. 

The thing I do not understand is what a "flipped bit" is and how does it manifest itself in an audio packet stream to a dac?  Does it have a sound?

As for jitter in Toslink, yes it can be a problem, so the measurements say, yet even reputable manufacturers of Toslink cable sell 10 meter and up to 100 foot cables.  Not saying that op may not be able to reliably stream 192, cuz I do not think the bandwidth is there in the Toslink spec, but regular stuff should be fine, unless he kinks the crap out of it.

As for alternatives, he could go aes spdif if the dac supports it, yet USB that far is a no go according to spec.  So I think that is his only choice if he must run that distance.  And if it sounds like crap then he will have to make a compromise, but it is worth a try.

As for snarky, I am just looking for facts, clarity and truth, not trolling 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back