*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #1,621 of 2,577
I would connect the monitor outputs of the Konnect to the RCA inputs of the Magni2. According to the manual on the Konnect, the monitor outputs can be as "hot" as 13 dBu, which is quite high at ~3.4 Volts RMS. You probably want to drive the Magni2 with no more than ~1.5 Volts RMS (that's what the Modi2 outputs).

I'm not sure what kind of controls you have for the output levels on the Konnect. If you have a meter or control that's labeled in dBu, I would set it to +5 dBu, which is very close to 1.5 VRMS.

Another way to do it, is to put on a signal that's recorded very loud. A sine wave at 0 dB (digital) might be a good choice. Something like a 440 Hz wave. Then listen to the Magni2 at a very, very low volume level. The lowest you can set it and still hear it. Turn up the output on the Konnect until you hear distortion. Then turn it back down until the distortion disappears and go just a little further down for good measure. That should be the maximum undistorted level that the Magni2 can receive.

Brian.

Mar 17, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #1,626 of 2,577
Head-Fi Noober here, just set up my new modi/magni stack. Listened for about 10 hours so far with my HD598s and loving the sound. My HD650s come in tomorrow and can not wait to hear what they sound like compared to the 598s!

Mar 19, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #1,630 of 2,577
Hey guys nice forum you have here. So I have always been into quality sound never really had the money to do anything about it until recently. I have a set of V-moda crossfade wireless headphones. I recently acquired a Schiit Modi 2 not the uber version. My home computer does not have bluetooth so I wanted a solution to listen to my FLAC files as they should be.

Here is my issue. I was told by the guys at Schiit that the Modi 2 is designed to be used with an AMP. I have one its not very high quality one but it does its job with my portable players. Its a little 4 channel amp. But when I have the Modi 2 running through it weird things start to happen. I get bad reverb going on almost like the audio is being ran through a reverb filter, and\or the vocals are almost non existent. Some  things will sound very metallic. If I plug directly into the modi 2 I have no bass whatsoever and the highs are overpowering. I have tried new cables and a different source. I have tried disabling audio enhancements in windows 10. I have installed the drivers as well. Same things happen through my phone LG G4.

Any idea on what is going on here. I would love to be able to use this thing. Thanks in advance.

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,632 of 2,577
So after reading 1630 posts in this thread, I have seen a lot of the same questions being asked with the same answers. So I will write this post in hopes to pull together all the questions and answers that have happened so far regarding the Schiit Modi 2/ Modi 2 Uber and the Magni 2/ Magni 2 Uber. Inlcuded pictures ofall four devices with labels to show some of the differences for those who either a. do not like to read or b. those who can't c. pictures of Schiit are awesome!

Which Schiit Schtack Sounds better, the M/M2 or the M/M2Uber?

a.) While the consensus is still out on this the most popular answers are
             1.) not a noticable difference beyond our ears
             2.)  Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V) ---- Better sound? In a perfect world and listening room maybe... to must probably not.... but better components.

What comes in the box? What do I need?

a.) If you get the Modi 2 Uber, Magni 2, Magni 2 Uber, you will get a power supply to power the device. No audio connections cords are included. Modi 2 gets its power from the not included USB a-type to b-type cable that connects the audio source to the Modi.

You will need at least a set of RCA cables to connect the two pieces of Schiit together ( see pictures as to where)

You will also need a cable to connect the Modi to whatever has your music on it. Either a Toslink cable, USB a-type to b-type, COAX cable, as these are not included in the individual boxes for the Schiit pieces you get.

What is the Difference between the two Schtacks of Schiit?

a.) Look at the edited pictures below or read what comes next..

Magni2U:

Preamp Outputs: Uber has them, standard doesn’t.
Gain Stage: Uber has a complementary-input VAS, standard doesn’t.
Power Supply: Uber has 3x the transformer (24VA vs 8VA) and 1.6x the filter capacitance (6,400 vs 4,000uF), as well as more sophisticated regulators (programmable vs fixed) and a higher rail voltage (+/-16V vs +/-15V)
Chassis: Uber gets an aluminum top cover and solid aluminum milled knob, standard is painted steel and an aluminum-covered plastic knob.

Will it work with my headphones?

Yes.... only issue was a post about 600 ohm set that worked but could use more power. But all in all works with IEMs as well as your favorite cans. Please enjoy.

But will it sound different?

Different than what? The Modi is a very decent DAC with a very flat response as all DAC "should" be as their job is to convert a digital signal to an analog one. If what you are using now is making you look for an upgrade, and the price point of the Modi/ Magni seem like a step up from what you have, then you may hear a better sounding set-up. If you have an older Modi/ Mangi then the sound difference may not be so much but input options, and more amp power with pre-amp outs could be worth the upgrade.

I hear a noise coming from my Schiit?

Most of what I have read here and have know is audio noise is usually a ground issue. I would start there. That being said a could have had issues with the volume pot making noise when touching it. A couple solutions were 1.) Dont hang on the volume knob so much 2.) Use a rubber band. 3.) Look for ground issue.

Should I buy it?

Yes. Why not? You asked, I answered. Most that post in this thread will tell you the same as well. It sounds great, works great, and its a cute pile of Schiit. Plus you can tell all your friends about your Schiit and have them turn heads!

Is this post ever going to stop?

Yes. Right now. Sorry if you feel this is poorly written or a waste of space, I will edit it as I feel the need to add or subtract. But hey, I gave you some pretty picture of Schiit with red arrows, that has to count for something!

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #1,633 of 2,577
It said I was not allowed to post hyperlinks yet so I am writing this again. I tried to post a hyperlink to the amp. I understand why that restriction is in place though. Anyway it is a ART Pro Audio HeadAMP 4. It's got 8 Channels 4 in the 3/8 plug size and 4 in the larger 1/4 in size. I originally got this amp because several people that I work in close proximity to really liked my playlists with this it allowed me to share. It worked extremely well with my cell phone, the G4. Is there any other info you need? I want to clarify that only the amp worked with my phone. If I plug the modi and the amp into my phone it sucks. No bass and no vocals only highs.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #1,635 of 2,577
Hello fellow people with Schiit. I acquired the Schiit Magni 2 Uber and Modi 2 Uber around Christmas 2015 and have been enjoying them immensely. I used to have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard which was also fantastic but I figured running externally would be beneficial in the long term. I have been very impressed and use the stack with my Philips X2's mainly. I was reading that it has plenty of power for just about any headphone out there including HD800s, planar magnetics, and just about any other standard driver headphone. I had a question however about the preamp outputs.

I plan to get the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s active monitors and since there is a volume control on the Magni 2 Uber I am thinking I would run the preamp out to the monitors and control the volume from the amp. I am also not sure if it would be better to be on low or high gain for the monitors as I use low gain currently. I was reading something about the Schiit Sys which is their preamp switch device specifically for active monitors but I think that was if you already didn't have preamp outs and a volume control on the amp or DAC.

In regards to my setup I had in mind. I will initially have RCA out of the preamp outputs going to the Airmotivs but eventually would like to add a subwoofer such as the SVS SB-1000 which has RCA inputs as well as outputs. I was wondering if I could run RCA out of the preamp to the input of the subwoofer and then run RCA out of the outputs of the subwoofer into the monitors.

Either that or I use a Y-splitter from the preamp outputs and run RCA to both the subwoofer and monitors at the same time. I am not sure if either option will affect the sound quality or volume control or crossover of the subwoofer or other caveats.

Thanks for any information guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back