*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #1,531 of 2,577
The Modi Uber and the Standard Modi do not sound the same to me. It has a Different analog section which was a noticeable improvement both with headphones and more so with speakers. The Whole Powered By a Wall wart thing also helped Eliminate USB noise from crappy usb outputs. The Magni 2 U not only has more power but Different Gain Stage over the Standard Magni. Specs are not everything.

If you say so. I'll take Schiits word for it though.

I could definitely see USB noise being a problem for some computers.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #1,532 of 2,577

Well Schiit seems to me to be a company with a very high level of integrity and honesty.

However, a different company might recommend you their cheaper product because their bottom line profit for that product is higher than for the more expensive one.

Schiit is not saying: the Uber is not better. They are saying: the non-uber is plenty good and all most people likely need.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #1,533 of 2,577

I could definitely see USB noise being a problem for some computers.

I have no problem with that as I know Schiit does not up sell, however Telling people they are practically the same but with extra inputs is not correct. Schitt's own website states that their are differences in the design. It is misleading people that are asking for advice, Give them the whole picture so they understand and can make an informed decision.

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #1,534 of 2,577
I have no problem with that as I know Schiit does not up sell, however Telling people they are practically the same but with extra inputs is not correct. Schitt's own website states that their are differences in the design. It is misleading people that are asking for advice, Give them the whole picture so they understand and can make an informed decision.

Your confusing the word practically with literally, which I did not claim.

Per Schiits site, it has a more sophisticated analog section, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I won't argue this anymore, as I really don't care what he spends his money on.

Feb 3, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #1,535 of 2,577
Your confusing the word practically with literally, which I did not claim.

Per Schiits site, it has a more sophisticated analog section, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I won't argue this anymore, as I really don't care what he spends his money on.

Nope No confusion and not arguing. I am pointing out "essentially the same thing" Can be misleading and can Confuse the Op. I have Owned The Modi and Modi 2 Uber So whatever the sophisticated analog stage may be,  it is a difference which should be noted, and in my experience there was noticeable improvement.I agree The Op can take that Info and do what he/she will with it but should be aware of all the info that may be out there.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,536 of 2,577
Okay guys, lets move along. Yes there are internal differences in both versions of the magni/modi stacks and features that follow.
Now can we make this post interesting again ?

So guys tell which headphones do you love using with your Schiit stack?

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #1,538 of 2,577
Just hit the one year anniversary with my modi 2U, which I'm pairing with an asgard 2 I got two years ago. Man, I love this combo. I mainly pair them with my T90, which some people may find ridiculous, but I'm a massive treble head and sparkle doesn't bother me. It's an incredibly resolving chain. On the rare occasion I'm finding the chain too sibilant, I use my dt 770 instead.

Just ordered the dt 1770. Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the schiit gear.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #1,539 of 2,577
Just picked up the schiit modi/magni 2 a little while ago and I'm digging them a lot. I came from a aune T1 and a bravo 3. As of right now, I just got the HD598 and they sound great. Also got the MSR7, HP100, and M220 to mess around with the schiit stack. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,540 of 2,577
Just picked up the schiit modi/magni 2 a little while ago and I'm digging them a lot. I came from a aune T1 and a bravo 3. As of right now, I just got the HD598 and they sound great. Also got the MSR7, HP100, and M220 to mess around with the schiit stack. 

Although I'm planning to get the Modi 2 and Magni 2, I am also considering to get the Aune T1 as my second option, plus, I also use the HD 598's as my main phones, so a comparison between the T1 and the Modi/Magni stack would be useful, especially because I don't have the money to purchase two sets and I want to make a good decision I will never regret.

Which one do you like better? Is there much of a difference between them (sound signature, clarity, soundstage...)? Would you consider the Schiit a true upgrade, or is it more of a sidegrade?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I bothered you with so many questions.

Feb 6, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #1,541 of 2,577
Can anyone describe what differences I would hear between the modi 2 uber and a bifrost multibit? I'm upgrading to a bottlehead crack/speedball for my hd650, and considering also upgrading to the bimby.

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #1,542 of 2,577
Can anyone describe what differences I would hear between the modi 2 uber and a bifrost multibit? I'm upgrading to a bottlehead crack/speedball for my hd650, and considering also upgrading to the bimby.

+1 ... I would like to hear that, as well. My impression of the Modi 2U is great soundstage (very wide), nice detail, clean sound, but ... anemic lower mids; thin sounding.

I would love to hear that the Bimby fixes that issue.

Feb 7, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #1,543 of 2,577
Although I'm planning to get the Modi 2 and Magni 2, I am also considering to get the Aune T1 as my second option, plus, I also use the HD 598's as my main phones, so a comparison between the T1 and the Modi/Magni stack would be useful, especially because I don't have the money to purchase two sets and I want to make a good decision I will never regret.

Which one do you like better? Is there much of a difference between them (sound signature, clarity, soundstage...)? Would you consider the Schiit a true upgrade, or is it more of a sidegrade?

Thanks in advance, and sorry I bothered you with so many questions.

No worries about the questions. I'll try my best to answer as I'm still new to this. For the Aune T1 and bravo, they both have the gold lion tube (Genalex E88C/6922). When I used to listen to it, things often sounded a bit brighter. This was especially so when I used the MSR7 headphones. By all means it wasn't bad, just a different listening experience. With the hd598 plugged in, it was bright, with some emphasis on vocals. However, on my amp, there are some eq sliders, but I always try to keep it neutral. Sound stage was the point where I could clearly hear the vocals, and instruments. I used these songs for comparison: Immortals: Fallout boy, Nights Like this: Icona Pop, As$ back home: gym class heroes, Mr. Mr. : Girls Generation. The player I'm using is audirvana.  
With the schiit stack, I liked how it was more neutral, without any of the brightness. It feels as if I can hear the music with more clarity. Hard for me to describe. Both had good bass, but I believe with a music player with EQ settings, you could experiment and have more fun. I don't think you can go wrong with either option, but the only thing about the AuneT1 is that it uses a tube and that's a whole different ball game of experimentation there. There are so many tubes out there to experiment with to give you that particular sound you like to go along with the type of music genre you like. I remember reading a thread with a super list of tubes and the type of sound you would get. Prices vary from a couple of dollars to hundreds.The only best thing about the schiit stack is that it works out the box and you can always fine tune the sound you want via software eq settings. But I do like the sound from the schiit stack. I hope this sorta helps out. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. I don't mind someone else with a better explanation/expertise chiming in also : )

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #1,544 of 2,577

+1 ... I would like to hear that, as well. My impression of the Modi 2U is great soundstage (very wide), nice detail, clean sound, but ... anemic lower mids; thin sounding.

I would love to hear that the Bimby fixes that issue.

Come on guys, use the tools we have and get instant opinions. 
rolleyes.gif

Just go to this thread use the search function and type modi uber  :  http://www.head-fi.org/t/782824/schiit-fire-and-save-matches-bifrost-multibit-is-here

You will find a number of posts with comments from folks who have heard and/or owned both.

This is the internet, all the answers are here, hahaha   
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #1,545 of 2,577
  Come on guys, use the tools we have and get instant opinions. 
rolleyes.gif

Fair enough. I did that and, as usual, opinions are all over the place. It's like asking people what car I should drive.

My take-away, however, is that the Bimby is reported to be more detailed/aggressive/clearer than the M2U, but nothing about the lower mids that I could find. I find the 'more clarity' comment interesting, because the M2U almost sounds clinical to me and one poster wrote that he actually prefers to the Modi 2U to his Bimby for some music.

I put my Modi 2U back into my 2-channel system, replacing an NAD D 1050 for the weekend and spent Saturday listening to music. This really is a good DAC - great DAC for the money - especially with classical music. I am impressed with the clarity, imaging and soundstage.

But then I listened to some classic rock and I found myself playing with the subwoofer controls to add more low-end meat to the sound.

I think that when you have a DAC that sounds very detailed, you are hearing more detail because there is less 'muddying' sound from the lower mid-range, which is how I would characterize the NAD D 1050.

I don't know... I am probably acclimated to a warmer sound (e.g. my Rega DAC is warm sounding, but also has tons of detail - of course, it's 10x the price, so there you are). And, my 2-channel system's speakers are entry-level mid-fi, so the neutral Modi 2U sounds thin to my ears with some music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back