*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 10, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #647 of 2,577
  If I buy a Magni/Modi will it come with cables or am I going to have to buy those $20 RCA and USB adapters. And do I need 1 or 2 PYST RCA's or do they come as a pair? 

So thats $60 on cables..... ? 

You don't have to buy there cables any RCA and USB A to B cable will work. You need only 1 RCA  and USB cable.

May 10, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #651 of 2,577
I have probably 25 monoproce cables throughout my house from optical spdif to RCA to phone cables, they're all great, along with some good budget IEMs from them. Better quality cables than most and still cheap.

May 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #654 of 2,577
May 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #655 of 2,577
  Count me amongst the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber crew. Paired with a Mac mini and some HD650s. In terms of best starter kits, I think anyone would  be hard pressed to find a combo than this for the price. I feel like I've got a great foothold from which to explore the wider world of headphones, amplifiers, tube rollers, etc., and that makes me happy for now.

I'm having buyers regret now that i got the uber versions. What are the pros of the uber in terms of sound for the magni 2 uber and the modi 2 uber.

May 11, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #656 of 2,577
  Sweet, fun up ahead for you. They really sound fantastic, deal of the centuary. Despite the urge for new toys, you might not need to get anything else unless you get an exotic headphone like an HE-6 that requires an inordinate amount of juice.

Like I said, having some buyers regrets. Friend told me I should have gotten the Modi/Magni 2 rather than the uber stack. Was the 100 dollars justified? What are the advantages of the uber versions and will it help in terms of future proofing them?

May 12, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #657 of 2,577
  Like I said, having some buyers regrets. Friend told me I should have gotten the Modi/Magni 2 rather than the uber stack. Was the 100 dollars justified? What are the advantages of the uber versions and will it help in terms of future proofing them?

As far as the Magni 2 Uber is concerned, the Uber version has preamp outputs. The normal one doesn't. Uber also has a better power supply (and is a little more powerful). The normal Magni also has a painted steel top, with a plastic knob. The Uber has an aluminium top and a solid aluminium knob.

When it comes to the Modi 2 Uber, there's more inputs. The Modi 2 comes with USB input, but the Uber version has USB, optical and coaxial, with a button switch to change what source you're using. It also has the same aluminium top-on-uber/painted-steel-on-normal thing going for it. Because of the additional needs of the Uber version, the Uber need to be plugged in to the wall. The normal one doesn't.

I'd consider the difference worth a hundred dollars if you want the additional features. If you don't, the "normal" ones are fine. It's not a rip off if you're not going to use the Uber features. They'll be worth a bit more second-hand because of everything.

There shouldn't be a substantial difference in sound, and likely isn't any at all. The additional features and better build quality are what you pay for.

Also, the Magni should be enough for an HE-6. Other aspects of an amp might matter, but the Magni has enough power for that headphone.

May 12, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #659 of 2,577
  As far as the Magni 2 Uber is concerned, the Uber version has preamp outputs. The normal one doesn't. Uber also has a better power supply (and is a little more powerful). The normal Magni also has a painted steel top, with a plastic knob. The Uber has an aluminium top and a solid aluminium knob.

When it comes to the Modi 2 Uber, there's more inputs. The Modi 2 comes with USB input, but the Uber version has USB, optical and coaxial, with a button switch to change what source you're using. It also has the same aluminium top-on-uber/painted-steel-on-normal thing going for it. Because of the additional needs of the Uber version, the Uber need to be plugged in to the wall. The normal one doesn't.

I'd consider the difference worth a hundred dollars if you want the additional features. If you don't, the "normal" ones are fine. It's not a rip off if you're not going to use the Uber features. They'll be worth a bit more second-hand because of everything.

There shouldn't be a substantial difference in sound, and likely isn't any at all. The additional features and better build quality are what you pay for.

Also, the Magni should be enough for an HE-6. Other aspects of an amp might matter, but the Magni has enough power for that headphone.

Would you say that because of the better build quality and additional features, the uber models are more future-proof? I don't predict buying another Amp or DAC in the future.

May 12, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #660 of 2,577
If you don't think you'll be buying anything in a while, I'd say it doesn't matter.

The better build quality isn't huge. It's nicer, but it's pretty much just cosmetic. I like the knob a lot, though. So aluminium-y.

If you foresee yourself wanting a preamp or having to use both optical and USB, for instance, than I guess that's good. It's not really going to "last longer", it's just got more to it - specifically, the features listed.

Either amp/DAC stack (Uber or normal) are really good in my limited experience and similar to the O2/ODAC in that most people have no good reason to get anything "better". It's a nicer thing physically, and if you find yourself needing a preamp or optical/coax down the road, hey, you've got it. That's nice, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back