*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 9, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #631 of 2,577
Originally Posted by dorino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A big step up, and the only downsides I've found are a brighter-than-ideal LED (Magni),

Man that LED *is* bright right?!?  I've recently gotten a Modi 2 and Magni 2.  The LEDs on both are crazy bright.  So I dimmed them.  I took a roll of painter's tape (that's paper tape that has a light adhesive that is designed to not leave residue behind) and cut a strip.  Then I cut squares off of that and stacked them up until I had three layers of tape.  Then cut that 3 layer stack into a very small square.  Then placed the square right over the LED.  Dimmed it down quite a bit, though honestly I'd like it even dimmer for lights off, or lights low.  It's fine for full room lighting.  I'm certain other people have done something similar.  Just sharing.

Brian.

May 9, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #632 of 2,577
My Modi is actually fine. The Magni's the only problematic one. When I lay down, though, which I usually do when listening to tunes, I can't see it. And if I'm going to be listening to music and doing work or something on the computer, I can just set something in front of it.

As problems go, it's not a big one. Schiit doesn't guarantee them to be matched and it's not to the point where my eyes hurt, so, okay. Cool. Hardly even a problem, at all. It's just an LED - and LEDs make light. Light's kind of annoying sometimes. My cable box's LED is more annoying.

May 9, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #633 of 2,577
^ The 1/8" output on a Macbook Pro is a combo output.  It's a line level out.  It's a headphone level out.  It's an optical out (with the correct whacky cable).

There really isn't much of a concern over "double amping" here.  The MBP seems to output a line level signal in my experience.  I guess one very important thing to note here about the MBP output level:  Turned all the way up, with a signal that is full scale, it DOES NOT CLIP.  So it's a true preamp out in that sense.  I've tested this myself to verify.

Brian.

What is the official name of that "whaky cable"?

May 9, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #640 of 2,577
May 9, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #642 of 2,577
Sorry noob question...

Is the Schiit Magni 2 Uber going to sound much better than my Presonus HP4 for my HD-650's?

http://www.presonus.com/products/HP4/techspecs

I don't need the four headphone outputs of the HP4, but I do need the stereo/preamp OUTS, hence why I'm checkin out the Schiit Magni 2 Uber.

Thanks

May 9, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #643 of 2,577
Since the Presonus is 130 mW into 60 Ohms, it's a ballpark guess that it's around 20 to 30 mW at 300 Ohms, which is what your HD-650s are rated at.  I'd expect that is enough to get the 650s pretty loud, if not *really* loud.  I'd think that if you listen loud the amp would be struggling a bit.  But I'm just speculating.

The Magni 2U is 320 mW at 300 Ohms, so it should have lots more apparent power and probably enough to drive the HD650s to ear bleeding levels.

I'd also guess that a product with 4 amplifiers in the chassis, at it's price point, probably doesn't have nearly the attention to audio detail in it's design that the Magni 2U does.  Will you hear a difference?  Hard to be sure, but I'd think so, especially at elevated volumes.

Someone else will have something more concrete to offer probably.  :)

Brian.

May 10, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #644 of 2,577
If I buy a Magni/Modi will it come with cables or am I going to have to buy those $20 RCA and USB adapters. And do I need 1 or 2 PYST RCA's or do they come as a pair? 

So thats $60 on cables..... ? 

May 10, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #645 of 2,577
All you need is a USB 2.0 to A to USB 2.0 B cable, along with one normal RCA cable, you can get them cheap at amazon or monoprice, or spend more and get the nice Schiit ones. If you do amazon or monoprice it shouldn't be but maybe 5 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back