*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 8, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #601 of 2,577
  It does not isolate grounds, but reclocks and regenerates the signal and uses it's own power supply. Although they state that galvanic isolation is not helpful, I do not believe that to be the case as many people have solved their USB ground loop issues by using a true isolators. Schitt states that galvanic isolation does not help with USB 2.0 data rates, however, even if the ground loop does not affect the digital signal it can introduce analog noise to the Amp or linear curcuits of the DAC, hence noise. Using a true isolator, usually optically coupled, breaks the ground loop.

Good to know. Thanks.

May 8, 2015 at 12:32 PM Post #602 of 2,577
Just for the heck of it try turning off your WiFi and see if that helps. Thats my problem crystal clear when off.
Will do once I get home.

May 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #604 of 2,577
  Would this stack be a good mad for the HD600s or should i consider the modi vali? Looking for something that will last me a while before I have to upgrade/never have to upgrade again.

The UBER stack rocks the HD600s. Your Schiit will be good for a long time with it.

May 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #605 of 2,577
  Would this stack be a good mad for the HD600s or should i consider the modi vali? Looking for something that will last me a while before I have to upgrade/never have to upgrade again.

The Magni is more versatile than the Vali. Even the lower non Uber version has more power at all impedances and the Magni has a lower output impedance. Some people will argue about sound and say the Magni is bright, I find that incorrect, it has a flat FR, IMO any other claim has no basis.

May 8, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #606 of 2,577

If you're okay with all the 'adverse reactions' of vali, go for it! I heard that HD600 and vali are a great match. I tried Vali for a week but I couldnt deal with the noise (I use low impedance phones).

If you want a safe product that will match with pretty much anything, go for magni2u. It sounds amazing =) 

May 8, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #607 of 2,577
Count me amongst the Modi 2 Uber and Magni 2 Uber crew. Paired with a Mac mini and some HD650s. In terms of best starter kits, I think anyone would  be hard pressed to find a combo than this for the price. I feel like I've got a great foothold from which to explore the wider world of headphones, amplifiers, tube rollers, etc., and that makes me happy for now.

May 8, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #611 of 2,577
May 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #612 of 2,577
My compass2(A-Gd) burned out on me so I was looking for something to replace that.  I remember my regret over selling off my bifrost so I decided to check Schiit audio out again.

The Modi/Magni(uber) stack is pretty impressive, I am using them as a set.  They offer less noise/coloration over the compass 2( especially when the unit is warm, probably a sign that it was going bad ) and  the volume output is rather precise.  I am happy with them~   They are technically more impressive and absolutely adorable sitting on my desk.  Mini-Bifrost indeed it is~

Definitely an improvement over onboard audio, for obvious reasons.  The DAC doesn't jumble the sound as much, and the amp is probably 100000 times more powerful.  I would consider it an improvement over other moderately priced amp/dac combos as well, its a clean neutral sounding unit.  You don't need to spend hours upon hours with it to realize that.  If this is the only audio purchase you make, ever you won't be disappointed by the quality of the resulting sound of this stack.

I would suggest getting the "Uber" model of both of these, asides from having some upgraded innards with technical mumbo jumbo to boot they have important features that will come in handy even to the average user.

The modi2 uber comes with all the inputs you'll ever need, and the magni2 gives you volume control over a secondary analog output.  Its super beneficial~  even if you have $5 walmart speakers just the convenience of being able to control volume through the magni without double amplifying the signal is a total bonus.

May 8, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #614 of 2,577

I have the Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber combo. I also have a pair of HD 600s. All I can tell you is I have no complaints...I haven't tried the Vali so I can't do a comparison. The Magni 2 Uber has zero difficulty running the HD 600s. In fact, I can get them louder than I can tolerate in the "low gain" mode.

I'll also say that I was amazed at how good of a job my Macbook Pro did powering the HD 600s from the built-in headphone port. Still, the sound isn't quite as engaging.

May 8, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #615 of 2,577
(...)  
I'll also say that I was amazed at how good of a job my Macbook Pro did powering the HD 600s from the built-in headphone port. (...)

Have you tried using MPB out to magni2u ? I'm currently using it and I would like to hear about any other impressions, mainly  vs modi2u. I'm really wondering if it's really worthy the deal =)

If you can do this, I would thank you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back