*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Mar 1, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #241 of 2,577
  Just wanted to report back. I finally got my Magni 2 Uber in on Friday, but couldn't start playing with it until Saturday night because of a missing RCA cable. With a grounded setup (e.g. my Macbook Pro was plugged into the wall charger with the long cord + ground pin) there is absolutely no hum when touching volume pot or top case. This won't be my final setup, the final setup will be connect by USB into a Thunderbolt Display, which is also connected with a grounded electrical wire, so I don't expect any changes, but ill report back none the less. 

Seems like the whole hum issue got blown way out of proportion, and that it's not specific to the Uber versions either. 

Remember what I said awhile ago, there needs to be a ground in the chain, a single point is nice to have. If it floats, expect some sort of noise.

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #242 of 2,577
Hi guys, a quick question. I was debating between modi 2 vs the uber. On the Schiit site, it says that the uber has a more sophisticated analog section vs the Modi 2. I dont really need more inputs from the uber but if it really has a better analog section then i might lean towards it. Can any one confirm that or share there impressions if there is any discern able difference between Modi 2 vs uber using the USB. thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #243 of 2,577
Well I'm in for a UBER Schiit stack.  Hope it arrives on Thursday.   Ready to unplug from the lousy RealTek 0662 in my desktops.  

I have a quick questing in regards to using the stack on linux:  I usually either use Amarok for general FLAC & MP3 playback and occasionally FooBar2000 running on Wine.  Will I be able to output 24bit/192khz from either of this audio apps directly to the DAC without any drivers?   My other option is to use a Windows Server 2012 R2 box sitting under my desk if I need a windows OS, but prefer to stick with Linux since that's where my music library lives. 

Excited for Thursday and hoping FedEx can find me since I've moved last week.

Chris

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #244 of 2,577

My Schiit tower
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #245 of 2,577

My pile of Schiit.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #247 of 2,577

if money is tight go on schiit's website under products, there is a clearance section, and there you'll find the original magni and modi selling for $79 each new. hard to beat that price. I have the original magni/modi, and I just got the magni 2 uber, and other than more volume, I honestly am having a hard time telling the difference between the two amps. any differences I am hearing are likely due to volume mismatching.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #248 of 2,577
i have the original magni and the magni 2 uber paired with mad dog 3.2 and hd598. is anyone who owns both of these amps finding the m2u warmer sounding? as my ears are acclimating themselves to the m2u I'm starting to think it sounds different. but I cannot for the life of me put my finger on how it's different sounding. I think maybe its slightly warmer, but I'm not 100% sold on that explanation. another thought is the mad dogs love power, and the m2u is putting out more, so maybe I'm hearing the headphones responding to the extra power? again I cant put my finger on it, its so subtle. but as I listen throughout the day, my brain keeps telling me this sounds different from the magni. anyone?

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #249 of 2,577
  i have the original magni and the magni 2 uber paired with mad dog 3.2 and hd598. is anyone who owns both of these amps finding the m2u warmer sounding? as my ears are acclimating themselves to the m2u I'm starting to think it sounds different. but I cannot for the life of me put my finger on how it's different sounding. I think maybe its slightly warmer, but I'm not 100% sold on that explanation. another thought is the mad dogs love power, and the m2u is putting out more, so maybe I'm hearing the headphones responding to the extra power? again I cant put my finger on it, its so subtle. but as I listen throughout the day, my brain keeps telling me this sounds different from the magni. anyone?

At 32 Ohms the difference in power is just 1 dB, not enough to be of any significance. Perhaps it more of placebo or expectation.

Mar 4, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #250 of 2,577
Hi All.
Got my uber stack yesterday. Like the Magni more than the vali I tried. I do have a question though. If you go to playback devices and check properties,under advanced there is a number of options for sampling rate. Is there a specific one I should be using?
Thanks for any info.

Howard

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #251 of 2,577
  Hi All.
Got my uber stack yesterday. Like the Magni more than the vali I tried. I do have a question though. If you go to playback devices and check properties,under advanced there is a number of options for sampling rate. Is there a specific one I should be using?
Thanks for any info.

Howard

check everything, 44 48 96. and on the advanced tab, change it to 2 channel, 24 bit, and 96000khz, or 48000khz if you want.
Normal CDs are at 44.1khz / 16 bit. so you really don't need more than that if you only listen from CDs. I think films are at 48000khz.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #252 of 2,577
  No, it will not draw power of the device you use as input, but I am not sure, Schiit didn't put that on the website
confused.gif

Your phone should work fine with Modi 2 Uber.

The Modi 2U USB circuit is actually powered by the input device it is connected to. The wall-wart powers the the other internal parts. Therefore connecting e.g. an iPhone or an iPad as source does not work unless the source is connected through a powered USB hub. I own a Modi 2U and I bought a Wyrd mostly for this purpose. I tried it without the powered USB just to check, and my iPhone popped up the power warning.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #253 of 2,577

The Modi 2U USB circuit is actually powered by the input device it is connected to. The wall-wart powers the the other internal parts. Therefore connecting e.g. an iPhone or an iPad as source does not work unless the source is connected through a powered USB hub. I own a Modi 2U and I bought a Wyrd mostly for this purpose. I tried it without the powered USB just to check, and my iPhone popped up the power warning.

My Galaxy Note 3 and Nexus 7 (2013) work with the Modi 2 Uber or Bifrost Uber USB2 without a powered Hub. Some devices can handle a DAC's USB port, others cannot. My iPod Touch 5G requires a Lightning CCK and powered USB Hub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back