*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #226 of 2,577
  The rattling of the Modi 2 Uber button is because the button is a floating disc of metal. The switch behind it is solid. The Bifrost switch is similar, however the disc has better tolerances so it feels solid. The button on the Bifrost, rattles less, makes less noise when pressed, has less travel and is more flush with the front panel.
The Volume control on the Asgard 2 is larger, solid and smoother. Both of these products have the feel of better quality. The SQ is superb.
I have two desktop setups at home.

Stan,

As far as I´ve seen from several of your posts on Head-Fi you prefer ss amps, do you have two setups based on Asgard or is the other one something else? Btw, I´m not sure if I prefer ss or tube amps myself, since I´ve never owned or even listened to a tube amp. Anyhow, I love the sound from my Magni 2U and can´t really see myself fiddling around with tube rolling and the like this late in my life. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #227 of 2,577

Stan,

As far as I´ve seen from several of your posts on Head-Fi you prefer ss amps, do you have two setups based on Asgard or is the other one something else? Btw, I´m nor sure if I prefer ss or tube amps myself, since I´ve never owned or even listened to a tube amp. Anyhow, I love the sound from my Magni 2U and can´t really see myself fiddling around with tube rolling and the like this late in my life. 
biggrin.gif

The only tube amp that remains is a Vali. I got rid of my other tube amps as I saw no merit from having them as I prefer the clear sound of a good SS amp. IMO a good tube amp that has a clear sound profile costs much more than a SS amp.
My two basic setups.
Bifrost Uber USB2 -> Asgard 2
Modi 2 Uber -> Magni

Sometimes I will Y cable the DACs to include the Vali.

I also have a Bluetooth NFC Apt-X receiver that I connect to either DAC using an optical link, This is for when I'm lazy and use a smartphone or tablet as a wireless source.

I have some other stuff, portable DACs and Amps as well as stuff in the closet of the forgotten toys.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #228 of 2,577

is your source (ps4) volume at max? when using an external dac/amp you want to have your system/source volume at max and then adjust volume from the amp. I had the same issue with my first external amp. I had the system volume at 50% and wasn't getting adequate volume from the amp. once I maxed the system volume out I had volume to spare.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #230 of 2,577

if you go onto schiit's website they're clearance selling the original magni/modi models for $79 each and that will be all you need for those headphones. I know, I have them all. the original modi sounds great, cant imagine any major significant differences in sound on the 2 model, and the original magni is a powerhouse with plenty of power to spare for those headphones. if you're looking for value you really wont beat the original set for $79 each.

Feb 26, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #231 of 2,577

I have the e12 and a magni 2 uber and I hear you. the e12 is a warmer, darker sounding amp. the magni in comparison comes across dry and thin in comparison. but... once you spend some time with it, you'll likely start to pick up micro details that the e12 cannot resolve. I think the magni also gives better bass control, though it's impact seems a bit less. they're different flavors. e12 for smooth lush presentation, magni for more neutral presentation. if you prefer the sound of the e12 try the vali. I have that as well and it's very similar sounding to the e12. warm, lush, somewhat dark. but at the same time more detailed by a slight margin. just do your homework on tube amps and microphonics to make sure its something you can live with.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #232 of 2,577
I sold my Magni and Modi, and my HE-400 when I needed some money. I was very happy with the combo. I recently got my HE-400 back and want to buy a new amp/DAC ... there's a TON to read in this thread and others but hopefully you guys won't mind me asking: is there any reason for me not to buy the Magni 2/Modi 2 if I was satisfied with the originals? Any reason for me to get Uber if I plan on having the HE-400 and only the HE-400? Any kind of regression, etc?

Also looked at the Fulla but it seems opinions are very varied on that.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #233 of 2,577
  I sold my Magni and Modi, and my HE-400 when I needed some money. I was very happy with the combo. I recently got my HE-400 back and want to buy a new amp/DAC ... there's a TON to read in this thread and others but hopefully you guys won't mind me asking: is there any reason for me not to buy the Magni 2/Modi 2 if I was satisfied with the originals? Any reason for me to get Uber if I plan on having the HE-400 and only the HE-400? Any kind of regression, etc?

Also looked at the Fulla but it seems opinions are very varied on that.

I'd get the M/M 2 Uber stack and call it a day. This way you have all the options you'll need and the price is a steal.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #234 of 2,577
  I'd get the M/M 2 Uber stack and call it a day. This way you have all the options you'll need and the price is a steal.

Is there any kind of sound difference in getting the uber stack? Or is it just extra connection options and stuff like that -- I know that the HE-400 are the headphones I want and don't see that changing and money is very tight. Are the connection options from the original Magni/Modi still the same for the Magni 2/Modi 2?

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #235 of 2,577
  Is there any kind of sound difference in getting the uber stack? Or is it just extra connection options and stuff like that -- I know that the HE-400 are the headphones I want and don't see that changing and money is very tight. Are the connection options from the original Magni/Modi still the same for the Magni 2/Modi 2?

The Modi 2 Uber also has a linear supply for its analog circuits, I'd pay the extra for that and the inputs. Once I'd go Modi 2 Uber, I'd go Magni 2 Uber just to match finishes. In the world of audio kit, even the Uber stack is a steal of a deal.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #236 of 2,577
  The Modi 2 Uber also has a linear supply for its analog circuits, I'd pay the extra for that and the inputs. Once I'd go Modi 2 Uber, I'd go Magni 2 Uber just to match finishes. In the world of audio kit, even the Uber stack is a steal of a deal.

Well I mean, I don't need the extra inputs or any of that stuff and I don't know what the first thing is. And like I said, money is tight ... Can you shed any light on to actual practical usage, like whether or not it makes any kind of sound difference? I don't doubt it's a steal of a deal, but I'm feeling like it doesn't really fit my use case. Was hoping people could talk about the actual differences in sound quality.

EDIT: I want to note that I'm not trying to be ****ty or something -- I'm grateful someone is answering my questions and all. But $100 is significant and, as you can tell by the fact I've been here for a very long time, my headphone road has already led me through the upgradeitis, trying things way out of my league, etc and I've found I probably am not moving on from the HE-400 until the new pair I bought literally stop working entirely.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #237 of 2,577
  Well I mean, I don't need the extra inputs or any of that stuff and I don't know what the first thing is. And like I said, money is tight ... Can you shed any light on to actual practical usage, like whether or not it makes any kind of sound difference? I don't doubt it's a steal of a deal, but I'm feeling like it doesn't really fit my use case. Was hoping people could talk about the actual differences in sound quality.

EDIT: I want to note that I'm not trying to be ****ty or something -- I'm grateful someone is answering my questions and all. But $100 is significant and, as you can tell by the fact I've been here for a very long time, my headphone road has already led me through the upgradeitis, trying things way out of my league, etc and I've found I probably am not moving on from the HE-400 until the new pair I bought literally stop working entirely.

If money is tight and you don't need the inputs, you probably won't hear any difference by going non Uber. The non Uber Magni will have no problem driving the HE-400's. In my pile of Schiit I have a Magni 1 which can drive my HE-500's cleanly and far louder than I'd want to listen at. Don't overthink this or you'll end up needlessly pulling your hair out. Once you have an M/M stack, the headphones will be where the most significant differences will be found.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #238 of 2,577
My Modi 2 Uber powers off at strange times.It has happened when I have touched the unit and also when I plug other devices into the same power strip that I have the Modi plugged into. When I toggled the power switch on the Modi off and then back on again it works fine. This has happened a handful of times in the few months I have had it and never when I'm listening to music. It isn't a big deal as it happens  infrequently, but I am curious why it is powering off randomly. I emailed Schiit and they said it's most likely my power strip. I use a $50 Tripplite strip. I also have my Valhalla and my laptop plugged into the same strip and haven't had any issues with either of them losing power. I'm thinking it could have something to do with static electricity. It's been pretty cold and dry here in Maryland the past few months.Maybe static is overloading the Modi and causing it to shut off? Has anyone else had their Modi power off like I described?

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #239 of 2,577

Yes, when touching the unit. I believe it is from static electricity.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #240 of 2,577
Just wanted to report back. I finally got my Magni 2 Uber in on Friday, but couldn't start playing with it until Saturday night because of a missing RCA cable. With a grounded setup (e.g. my Macbook Pro was plugged into the wall charger with the long cord + ground pin) there is absolutely no hum when touching volume pot or top case. This won't be my final setup, the final setup will be connect by USB into a Thunderbolt Display, which is also connected with a grounded electrical wire, so I don't expect any changes, but ill report back none the less. 

Seems like the whole hum issue got blown way out of proportion, and that it's not specific to the Uber versions either. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back