*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 22, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #181 of 2,577

do you hear the hum from your headphone or just in general when you play around with it?
mine doesn't hum whatsoever from my headphone. tried it out just now without my headphone as well, doesn't hum either.

maybe it does hum but i can't hear it? i dont know. I'm like 70-80cm away from the device.

I only hear the hum from my headphone, not from a distance. Nick @ Shiit has informed me that the hum is normal and is caused by the ungrounded chassis.

Feb 22, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #184 of 2,577

I´m not a native speaker, so not sure how to put it. It´s a static electric noise, buzzing maybe. If i put my hand or just a finger on top of the chassis, the noise disappears.

This was also discussed in the Vali thread.

See thread here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/4245#post_10949386

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #185 of 2,577

I´m not a native speaker, so not sure how to put it. It´s a static electric noise, buzzing maybe. If i put my hand or just a finger on top of the chassis, the noise disappears.

i can't say whether there's anything wrong with yours or not, but i can tell you i never have the urge to press the top of my amp to make any static noise disappear.

There's no static, buzzing noise either with my magni 2 (uber)...

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #186 of 2,577

This was also discussed in the Vali thread.

See thread here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/685162/new-vali-schiit-amp/4245#post_10949386

The Vali issue that was linked to has to do with ringing/microphonics of the amp's tubes. This has nothing to do with the Modi or Magni.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #187 of 2,577

The Vali issue that was linked to has to do with ringing/microphonics of the amp's tubes. This has nothing to do with the Modi or Magni.

Sorry, but your assumption is incorrect. 

In that thread, on that particular page, it discusses interference issues that two members encountered ouside of the normal ringing/microphonics from the Vali.

One of those two members had exactly the same issue oletuv decribes above (hand over unit reduces noise). Coincidence, perhaps but I wouldn`t be so quick to dismiss it.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #188 of 2,577

Are you using an external DAC like the Modi/2/U with your Magni? 

Shut down all of your programs that outputs any audio, and then try turning your volume all the way down with the physical volume pot on the Magni, see if the noise that you describe is still there. Then turn the volume pot on the Magni to your normal listening levels, but this time turn turn the volume all the way to 0 digitally on your pc, and then see if there is still any noise. 

Also, try unplugging your headphones from the Magni and then plugging it back in and compare. 

The volume pot will only hum as a very slight vibration when you touch it when it is turned on, and you shouldn't be able to actually hear it. I've heard no difference when I did all the brief tests mentioned above, no static and no buzzing, and touching the chassis doesn't change anything either.

If you can hear a difference when doing any of those brief tests then there might be something wrong with your unit and you may want to re-contact Schiit about the issue.

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #189 of 2,577
  Are you using an external DAC like the Modi/2/U with your Magni? 

Shut down all of your programs that outputs any audio, and then try turning your volume all the way down with the physical volume pot on the Magni, see if the noise that you describe is still there. Then turn the volume pot on the Magni to your normal listening levels, but this time turn turn the volume all the way to 0 digitally on your pc, and then see if there is still any noise. 

Also, try unplugging your headphones from the Magni and then plugging it back in and compare. 

The volume pot will only hum as a very slight vibration when you touch it when it is turned on, and you shouldn't be able to actually hear it. I've heard no difference when I did all the brief tests mentioned above, no static and no buzzing, and touching the chassis doesn't change anything either.

If you can hear a difference when doing any of those brief tests then there might be something wrong with your unit and you may want to re-contact Schiit about the issue.

I baught a Modi 2U together with the Magni 2U. However, at the moment the Modi is not connected to the Magni simply because the supplied AC adapter is the 120V US plug and I am waiting for a replacement 230V Earplug which is needed here in Spain. Hence, nothing at all is connected to the Magni, other than my B&W P7 headphones. At volume 0, the Magni is dead silent. The humming starts at 12 o´clock position (pretty weak) and gets louder as I increase the volume. The hum is only there when I touch the volume knob. Putting my hand on top of the box while I´m operating/touching the volume knob or simply take my fingers off the volume knob, makes the hum disappear. Again, I´ve talked to Nick @ Schiit about this issue, and what he says is that the hum is normal for the Magni (not the more expensive amps like Asgard 2 or Lyr 2) and that the hum is caused by the Magni chassis not being grounded. It is not the end of the world, since I won´t be touching/operating the volume knob all the time of course, but I don´t like it either because it gives me a feeling of my Magni lacking in quality. Hopefully the most important factor, the sound, will be excellent. :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #190 of 2,577
  Sorry, but your assumption is incorrect. 

In that thread, on that particular page, it discusses interference issues that two members encountered ouside of the normal ringing/microphonics from the Vali.

One of those two members had exactly the same issue oletuv decribes above (hand over unit reduces noise). Coincidence, perhaps but I wouldn`t be so quick to dismiss it.

Almost all of that thread is about ringing/microphonics. The part about cables/interconnects picking up RFI is situational.
The hand over unit is not about noise/RFI but ringing as I quote below:
"Or does this ringing sound different, and gets worse/better when you put your hand over the top of the Vali?"
The hand damps ringing, this is mechanical not electrical.

If touching a ground or chassis reduces noise, it may be a sign of a ground loop.

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #191 of 2,577

I baught a Modi 2U together with the Magni 2U. However, at the moment the Modi is not connected to the Magni simply because the supplied AC adapter is the 120V US plug and I am waiting for a replacement 230V Earplug which is needed here in Spain. Hence, nothing at all is connected to the Magni, other than my B&W P7 headphones. At volume 0, the Magni is dead silent. The humming starts at 12 o´clock position (pretty weak) and gets louder as I increase the volume. The hum is only there when I touch the volume knob. Putting my hand on top of the box while I´m operating/touching the volume knob or simply take my fingers off the volume knob, makes the hum disappear. Again, I´ve talked to Nick @ Schiit about this issue, and what he says is that the hum is normal for the Magni (not the more expensive amps like Asgard 2 or Lyr 2) and that the hum is caused by the Magni chassis not being grounded. It is not the end of the world, since I won´t be touching/operating the volume knob all the time of course, but I don´t like it either because it gives me a feeling of my Magni lacking in quality. Hopefully the most important factor, the sound, will be excellent. :)

Hmm...ok, if people from Schiit themselves say so. Something I've read in the Lyr 2 thread (can't find the post at the moment), is that someone with a similar problem attributed it to RF interference, stating that he/she solved the problem by moving the unit away from it's initial place which is in between his/her wireless router and his/her cordless phone. Not sure if that will help you, but maybe give it a try XD? If it's a chassis grounding problem, maybe placing it on top/under your Modi 2U might help? If you've tried everything already, and still nothing helps, then maybe switch your Magni 2U to high gain so that you can listen comfortably @ levels left the 12 O'clock position, assuming that you've been using it on low gain. The P7 is a slightly bass heavy headphone, and if you feel like it has a slightly muddy bass, mids that are a bit veiled, and slightly rolled off highs which was what I thought when I auditioned them, then your stack will help tighten up your bass and remove some of that veil and give a tiny bit of treble extension. The improvements will be slight and not very noticeable when you first hook it up to your stack, but it'll get more noticeable as you use it, just don't expect too much from the start X). I'm using a D5000 which has sounds kinda similar to the P7, but more refined and has better clarity (to my ears anyway), and I can definitely tell slight improvements with the stack. The bass on the P7 is quite boomy as well, so the stack could give them a bit more punch, and might make the highs sound a bit bright if you're not used to it. I wasn't used to to that when I first tried it out, but after 2-3 days of use my ears have gotten used to the increased brightness and I've been happy ever since. Your experience may vary :)

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #192 of 2,577

I only hear the hum from my headphone, not from a distance. Nick @ Shiit has informed me that the hum is normal and is caused by the ungrounded chassis.

So plug a grounded source into the Magni input and your problem will probably go away. Since as you said, nothing is plugged in, that is not a proper use case for an amp as you will have nothing to listen to. Give it a try and let us know.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #193 of 2,577

most companies doesn't cover shipping from you back to them.
can't comment about schiit. im also an international buyer. i'm totally fine with paying shipping cost back to them.

i just dont want to be forced pay for import tax for the second time for the same item. But that has nothing to do with schiit.

Just got an email from Nick at Schiit. If you experience any issues right out of the box that they deem to be a warranty repair, they just swap out the units (it's not a repair) and they pay for shipping back to them -- so your not on the hook for anything. My assumption is this only applies in the US, but I wouldn't quote me on that. 

Once again, impressed with Schiit. Pushed go on my Magni 2 Uber order this morning. Excited to hear how well they drive my Mad Dogs :)

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #194 of 2,577
  So plug a grounded source into the Magni input and your problem will probably go away. Since as you said, nothing is plugged in, that is not a proper use case for an amp as you will have nothing to listen to. Give it a try and let us know.

The replacement AC adapter for my Modi 2U arrived today, and finally I´ve been able to connect it to the Magni 2U and play some music on the stack.

The good news is that I find the sound quality pleasing with my B&W P7 headphones, gain on low and volume at 11 o´clock.
The bad news is that the hum when touching the Magni volume knob is still there after I connected the Modi. If anything, the hum is even worse, now noticeable from the 9 o´clock position.

If I´d lived in the US, I´d probably have returned the M/M 2U stack because of the build quality issues. The Magni volume knob humming and the Modi selector knob rattling when i touch it or move the box makes me perceive the construction/build quality as pretty lousy. Since I´ve imported the boxes to Spain and already paid around 170 USD in freight and import taxes, I choose to keep them. And after all I will probably enjoy the sound quality, just not the cosmetics.

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #195 of 2,577

The replacement AC adapter for my Modi 2U arrived today, and finally I´ve been able to connect it to the Magni 2U and play some music on the stack.
The good news is that I find the sound quality pleasing with my B&W P7 headphones, gain on low and volume at 11 o´clock.
The bad news is that the hum when touching the Magni volume knob is still there after I connected the Modi. If anything, the hum is even worse, now noticeable from the 9 o´clock position.

If I´d lived in the US, I´d probably have returned the M/M 2U stack because of the build quality issues. The Magni volume knob humming and the Modi selector knob rattling when i touch it or move the box makes me perceive the construction/build quality as pretty lousy. Since I´ve imported the boxes to Spain and already paid around 170 USD in freight and import taxes, I choose to keep them. And after all I will probably enjoy the sound quality, just not the cosmetics.

Sounds like a possible ground loop or missing ground. How is the Modi2U connected to the source? USB, Optical or Coax?
What is the source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back