*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Feb 19, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #166 of 2,577

I´m posting this to express my impression and experience with ordering directly from Schiit Audio and shipping to Europe. I am Norwegian, living 6 months in Norway and 6 months in Spain per year. Now during the European winter I´m living in Benahavis, Andalucia, Spain. I ordered a Magni/Modi 2 Uber stack for my Spanish home from Schiit on February 9th. Just after I had placed my order I noticed the PYST cables on their web-site. Well, I sent them an email asking if it was possible to add the cables to my original order so that the extra shipping cost could be avoided. A few minutes later Laura @ Schiit sent me a PayPal invoice for the cables and confirmed that they were shipping with the main order, no extra shipping cost. Excellent customer service & handling, I´m very impressed.

Next day, February 10th I got a shipping notification from Laura with FedEX tracking number. The parcel arrived in Madrid on February 15th, not bad at all but unfortunately Spanish Customs hold it three days before releasing it. Well, my new Schiit gear arrived here in Benahavis, Spain, this morning February 19th. The parcel looked good on the outside and the Magni & Modi were in pristine condition, except for one crucial thing - the supplied Modi AC adapter was the 120V US type, and I had ordered and definitively need the 230V Europlug.

Well, I took a photo and emailed Laura @ Schiit about the issue. This afternoon Spanish time, which I believe is morning US time, Laura sent me an email with FedEx tracking information for a replacement adapter already shipped, freight and customs clearance included. Wow, I am so happy to experience such a great customer service. I am very impressed with this company.

The replacement adapter is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday, so I am very excited to play with my new Schiit then.

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #168 of 2,577
To be quite honest, I am thinking of getting the Modi 2 as a desktop dac, non-uber. I will also get the Wyrd, and do some a/b testing for myself to see if it's worth keeping. If it is, I'll be in for $50 over what the Uber would have cost, and if not, I'll be in for $50 less. There is very little chance that any cap upgrades in the Uber version will be better than what the Wyrd will do for it. Also, the Wyrd does not come in the brushed aluminum, and it's a very small thing, matching the aesthetic, but, well, if I end up keeping it for the next 50 years, maybe it will be nice to have matching chassis.

Feb 20, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #169 of 2,577
To be quite honest, I am thinking of getting the Modi 2 as a desktop dac, non-uber. I will also get the Wyrd, and do some a/b testing for myself to see if it's worth keeping. If it is, I'll be in for $50 over what the Uber would have cost, and if not, I'll be in for $50 less. There is very little chance that any cap upgrades in the Uber version will be better than what the Wyrd will do for it. Also, the Wyrd does not come in the brushed aluminum, and it's a very small thing, matching the aesthetic, but, well, if I end up keeping it for the next 50 years, maybe it will be nice to have matching chassis.

I only got the uber becuase I wanted optical.

Side note the little door fell off the optical port after the first use, so cables don't sit in anymore. Schiit offered to fix it, but it isn't a big deal, I don't move them ever. It wouldn't be until April I could get it back, just becuase where I live

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #170 of 2,577

I am still waiting for the replacement AC adapter for my Modi, so I haven´t been able to test the audio performance of my new M/M 2U stack yet. However, I´m a bit disappointed with the build quality and cosmetics of the M/M boxes. The Magni is humming when I touch the volume knot. The hum disappears when I apply a little pressure on top of the box. I emailed Nick @ Schiit about the issue, and he replied that the hum was normal because the chassis is ungrounded. Well, I´ve never heard such a humming when touching the chassis of any other audio equipment I´ve owned, and I certainly do not like it. The input selector knob on the Modi is kind of loose, not that it fells out but it rattles when I touch it and the knob seems to almost be coming out. Those two build/cosmetic issues makes me feel somewhat unhappy with my purchase. Hopefully I´ll be happy with the performance and sound quality of the M/M stack.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #171 of 2,577

I am still waiting for the replacement AC adapter for my Modi, so I haven´t been able to test the audio performance of my new M/M 2U stack yet. However, I´m a bit disappointed with the build quality and cosmetics of the M/M boxes. The Magni is humming when I touch the volume knot. The hum disappears when I apply a little pressure on top of the box. I emailed Nick @ Schiit about the issue, and he replied that the hum was normal because the chassis is ungrounded. Well, I´ve never heard such a humming when touching the chassis of any other audio equipment I´ve owned, and I certainly do not like it. The input selector knob on the Modi is kind of loose, not that it fells out but it rattles when I touch it and the knob seems to almost be coming out. Those two build/cosmetic issues makes me feel somewhat unhappy with my purchase. Hopefully I´ll be happy with the performance and sound quality of the M/M stack.

You can return them if you are not satisfied.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #172 of 2,577

Originally Posted by Mr Rick

How does Schiit deal with situations like this? If you receive a product where the build quality isn't up to snuff or is defective in some way from the get-go they will obviously replace it under warranty, but will they pay shipping back to them? Literature on the website seems to indicate they won't, which seems kind of Schiity, considering this means they didn't catch it in their own QC/QA and your now paying the price. 

I ask because i'm planning to order a Magni 2 Uber in the next day or so, and it feels like for a company that is normally actually very forward thinking and customer-centric this is actually fairly archaic. This isn't meant as a call out or anything, I would actually just like to hear their explanation, since their usually very open and honest about their policies and reasoning. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #173 of 2,577

How does Schiit deal with situations like this? If you receive a product where the build quality isn't up to snuff or is defective in some way from the get-go they will obviously replace it under warranty, but will they pay shipping back to them? Literature on the website seems to indicate they won't, which seems kind of Schiity, considering this means they didn't catch it in their own QC/QA and your now paying the price. 

I ask because i'm planning to order a Magni 2 Uber in the next day or so, and it feels like for a company that is normally actually very forward thinking and customer-centric this is actually fairly archaic. This isn't meant as a call out or anything, I would actually just like to hear their explanation, since their usually very open and honest about their policies and reasoning. 

Before you jump to conclusions you should again contact Schiit customer service and ask how to proceed. I recently returned a unit under warranty for repair. No cost to me for shipping either way..  

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #174 of 2,577
  Before you jump to conclusions you should again contact Schiit customer service and ask how to proceed. I recently returned a unit under warranty for repair. No cost to me for shipping either way..  

Ah ok, that's great to know. I was honestly just basing it off the site literature:

Schiit Warranty/Repairs 

Who pays shipping if I need warranty service?
You pay shipping to us, and we pay shipping back, unless no fault is found. In that case you pay shipping both ways. 

Ill email them and see whats up and post back here what their answer is. 

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #175 of 2,577

Ah ok, that's great to know. I was honestly just basing it off the site literature:

Ill email them and see whats up and post back here what their answer is. 

You just got them right?  Make sure you make that fact known.

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #177 of 2,577
  Not even ordered yet, just covering all my bases before I do. But I would love to order it tomorrow so it ships out Monday, and would prefer to order it directly from them rather than Amazon, so they get most of the cash. 

Worried about returning something you haven't even purchased yet. You are quite the pessimist. LOL

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #178 of 2,577

I don´t think the freight cost from Spain would be worth it. Besides, I don´t think there is anything wrong with my Magni & Modi, rather that those two issues are general cosmetic build issues, and I hope and believe they will sound great. Also, I´m very satisfied and impressed with Schiit Audio as a company. Laura has taken very good care of me when it turned out that they had shipped a wrong AC adapter, and Nick has been very quick replying to any questions I´v had.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #179 of 2,577

most companies doesn't cover shipping from you back to them.
can't comment about schiit. im also an international buyer. i'm totally fine with paying shipping cost back to them.

i just dont want to be forced pay for import tax for the second time for the same item. But that has nothing to do with schiit.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #180 of 2,577

do you hear the hum from your headphone or just in general when you play around with it?
mine doesn't hum whatsoever from my headphone. tried it out just now without my headphone as well, doesn't hum either.

maybe it does hum but i can't hear it? i dont know. I'm like 70-80cm away from the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back