*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
May 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #541 of 2,577
Hey guys!

I looking to buy the Magni 2 and the Modi 2 for my HD598`s. It will be my first external DAC/AMP, so I`m a little undecided and have some questions. Do think is will be a good upgrade from my onboard audio (ALC892)? Also, how the Magni2/Modi2 compare with something cheaper, like the Fiio e10k or even the Audioengine D1?

Thanks in advance.

Magni2u is a major upgrade from e10k. Everything here sounds better, in any aspect.
I'm pretty sure modi2u will sound better than e10k's dac but I'm not quite sure if it will worth to you. If I would you, I would certainly go with schiit stack.

May 5, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #542 of 2,577
It's hardly bad (the modi/magni stack), based on all I've read. I'm planning to stick with the Magni 2 Uber until I can get a Lyr 2, and I don't think I'll upgrade the Modi 2 Uber for a long time. I think the Bifrost will probably be the thing that'll replace it. It'll be a long time, though, I imagine.

May 5, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #543 of 2,577
I've returned mag2u and minutes later schiit sent my replacement!!!!!

Amazing customer service. Highly recommended.

Well, my replacement arrived. And.. I now really understand that the other unit was malfunctioning. 
What was good is EVEN better. I don't have any clicks or pops when turning on, no "ground static" noise when touching. 

Wonderful sounding. Geez SO HAPPY. 
Thank you, schiit!

May 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #544 of 2,577
When I auditioned the EL-8 (open) I got the question which amp I used at home. My answer – the Schiit stack – made the guy chuckle. He had never heard of the company, which made me realize that this was his job, not his passion, and questions should be left at that level. 
Anyway, I auditioned the cans with the cheapest amp they had, Heed Audios CanAmp (roughly twice the price of the Shiiit Magni 2/Modi 2). 

I ended up buying the cans and comparing the sound between the CanAmp and the Shiit stack the latter feels like it gives the cans a warmer more up front sound and heavier bass. The CanAmp felt receded and polite. 

The Magni and Modi may not look like much but has value for money like nothing else in this hobby of ours!
That said though, they will be moving to my work setup. A prettier contender will take its place at home, the Marantz HD-DAC1. No idea if it will sound any better though, but it sure is pretty. 

May 5, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #545 of 2,577
Trying to decide on an Amp for my HD800 and HD700, tossed up between some Schiit amps:

Magni 2 Uber
Vali
Asgard 2
Valhalla 2

I am looking for something mostly transparent but with a touch of warmth. Anyone here have an experience with any of these amps with these 2 headphones?

May 6, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #547 of 2,577
  Trying to decide on an Amp for my HD800 and HD700, tossed up between some Schiit amps:

Magni 2 Uber
Vali
Asgard 2
Valhalla 2

I am looking for something mostly transparent but with a touch of warmth. Anyone here have an experience with any of these amps with these 2 headphones?

Personally, I would go with the Valhalla 2 for those bad boys, maybe a Vali, reportedly a great combination. The Valhalla 2 was fantastic with my HD650s.

May 6, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #550 of 2,577
Any thoughts about MPB headphone out vs modi2u in terms of SQ?
I hear mbp phone out being better than e10k to feed the magni2u. I'm now convincing myself if the deal on modi2u is worthy. I want to hear more soundstage and air. I think that's possible since m2u goes until 24/192khz. The difference from 24/48 to 96 is noticeable on mbp's out

May 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #551 of 2,577
It's probably worth trying yourself. Schiit does offer the 15 day trial period, after all. If you can manage the shipping costs, it'll be a lot more valuable than any one else's opinion.

Apple products tend to have very reasonable DACs built-in. I can't comment, but I imagine your MBP will do a lot better than my little ideapad on its own.

May 6, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #552 of 2,577

Personally, I would go with the Valhalla 2 for those bad boys, maybe a Vali, reportedly a great combination. The Valhalla 2 was fantastic with my HD650s.

I agree. It is a beautiful sound. I have the Lyr, Valhall, Asgard, Vali and Magni 2. (Long story on why I have one of each! lol) I like the sound on the Valhalla the best. The Bottlehead Crack is also a good match.

May 6, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #553 of 2,577

I agree. It is a beautiful sound. I have the Lyr, Valhall, Asgard, Vali and Magni 2. (Long story on why I have one of each! lol) I like the sound on the Valhalla the best. The Bottlehead Crack is also a good match.

I would have ordered the Valhalla 2 already but its not available from amazon through the Schiit store. I am not sure why its basically the only amp not available but if it was I'd already have purchased it.

May 6, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #554 of 2,577

I would have ordered the Valhalla 2 already but its not available from amazon through the Schiit store. I am not sure why its basically the only amp not available but if it was I'd already have purchased it.

The cost to order directly from Schiit would not be that different from ordering from Amazon, even with prime shipping. They increase the price on Amazon to compensate for the shipping. Look at Schiit's website and go through the ordering process to see the total cost. I have ordered from both Amazon and Schiit direct and Schiit is cheaper and the wait time is not much different.

May 6, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #555 of 2,577
  The cost to order directly from Schiit would not be that different from ordering from Amazon, even with prime shipping. They increase the price on Amazon to compensate for the shipping. Look at Schiit's website and go through the ordering process to see the total cost. I have ordered from both Amazon and Schiit direct and Schiit is cheaper and the wait time is not much different.

I usually try to stick to Amazon for online shopping as I use their credit card and there financing. Also I do have prime and just trust Amazon to the fullest with any issue that might arise. If the company didn't sell anything on Amazon I'd understand, but they sell pretty much every other item on there except the Valhalla 2... Why? Of course its the one item I want, wouldn't be my luck any other way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back