*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Aug 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #2,026 of 2,577

Yes. However, it's a crap shoot whether or not Windows will recognize the device when plugged in. When the device is recognized, it works perfectly fine. 

However, often times Windows will not recognize the device when plugged in. Under devices > connected devices it will sometimes show up as an "unrecognized USB device (port reset failed)"

If this happens, it will not show up on the control panel as a recognized audio device. As I mentioned, I've tried every possible thing to figure out why it is doing this but to no avail. New USB cables, a 2.0 powered USB hub, windows power management settings, different ports, nothing seems to correct this problem. The problem did NOT exist with Windows 7, so it seems to be some kind of compatability issue between Windows 10 and the Modi. 

I thought upgrading to the Modi 2 Uber would correct this issue (The original Modi was doing it as well and was no usable anymore for me), being that it has Windows 10 driver software, however the problem seems to persist.

edit: Thankfully, I haven't been able to replicate the error this morning again...it seems to be working each time when I flip the Modi off and on.

For what it's worth, I have a Modi2U which works fine with Windoze 10 for me, even on a junky dual core Atom processor laptop. Perhaps your PC's USB port and Windoze 10 USB drivers are not happy with each other. That would suck.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:13 AM Post #2,027 of 2,577
  For what it's worth, I have a Modi2U which works fine with Windoze 10 for me, even on a junky dual core Atom processor laptop. Perhaps your PC's USB port and Windoze 10 USB drivers are not happy with each other. That would suck.

But why is it ONLY the Schiit dac's that seem to have an issue? If it was a problem with Windows 10 and my PC, wouldn't other USB connected devices be having issues?

Connected devices by USB - keyboard, mouse, external hdd, microphone, Modi 2 Uber.

None of these (with the exception of the Modi) have ever had a single issue, connection or otherwise, since I updated to Windows 10 (6-7 months ago).

Aug 3, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,028 of 2,577

But why is it ONLY the Schiit dac's that seem to have an issue? If it was a problem with Windows 10 and my PC, wouldn't other USB connected devices be having issues?

Connected devices by USB - keyboard, mouse, external hdd, microphone, Modi 2 Uber.

None of these (with the exception of the Modi) have ever had a single issue, connection or otherwise, since I updated to Windows 10 (6-7 months ago).

Perhaps the Schiit Drivers are not compatible with your USB hardware or perhaps they use an underlying MS driver (dependency) to hit the ports. In either case I'll guess that the implementation of USB Audio is in the Schiit Driver and something there or in some dependency is unhappy with your hardware/system. This should not affect your keyboard or mouse, etc. as they do not use USB Audio or rely on the Schiit Driver

Aug 3, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #2,029 of 2,577
  Good day all,

I just received my Modi 2 uber today (I have it paired with the Asgard 2).

The reason I updated to the Modi 2 uber was because my original Modi stopped working with Windows 10. I tried every known thing in the world to get it working, but Windows just would not recognize the Modi when plugged in. It worked perfectly and without issue with Windows 7, but immediately stopped working once I updated to Windows 10. Yes, I tried various USB cables, ports, a HUB, power management settings, EVERYTHING, to no avail.

I got my Modi 2 Uber today, and it was working perfectly when first plugged in. However, tonight I switched it off, and back on again...and low and behold, Windows 10 is once again not recognizing the device.

This is really making me crazy and very frustrated. I've installed the drivers from https://schiit.com/drivers but Windows still seems to be having issues with it, and I am at my wits end. I don't have another PC to test this one, but I don't understand what the issue is here...

I have multiple USB devices plugged in that have no issue. A steel series mouse and keyboard, a USB mic, an external hard drive, etc. I've not had a single issue with any other USB device except the Schiit DAC's.

Has anyone experienced this at all or had any similar issues? I flipped the DAC off and on a couple of times and it seems to be working again (Windows once again recognizes it) but I'm concerned this is going to be an on going issue.

I received my modi 2 uber two nights ago. I had to install drivers for it to work on windows 10, and after restarting the PC it started working flawlessly. I turned both the computer and DAC off late in the night and went back to them yesterday, and the sound was stuttering to the point that it was useless. I tried several things but the issue was solved by simply restarting the computer. 

I suppose you tried that, but i also notice the same behavior today. The Modi 2 uber apparently can't be plugged when the computer is running. Install the latest drivers and restart to see if this solves your issue. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,030 of 2,577
I recently upgrade to windows 10 and my Modi2U works without issue as with windows 7.

Make sure you use the specific windows 10 drivers though. I installed the ones from their drivers page by the link "Schiit USB Gen2 Drivers (W10) 1.01 (6.5MB)" carefully following the step-by-step instructions.

Aug 3, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,031 of 2,577
I recently upgrade to windows 10 and my Modi2U works without issue as with windows 7.

Make sure you use the specific windows 10 drivers though. I installed the ones from their drivers page by the link "Schiit USB Gen2 Drivers (W10) 1.01 (6.5MB)" carefully following the step-by-step instructions.

I'm still using the older driver on Windoze 10 without any issues. Doing the 7 to 10 upgrade appears to have kept the original drivers.

Aug 3, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #2,032 of 2,577
Guys,

Like I've mentioned, I've done everything imaginable with my original Modi to try and get it working with Windows 10, nothing works, so it's basically a paper weight for me at this point.

The Modi 2 Uber seems to be working now, after initially not being recognized by Windows. Fingers crossed that it continues to work without issue.

I received my modi 2 uber two nights ago. I had to install drivers for it to work on windows 10, and after restarting the PC it started working flawlessly. I turned both the computer and DAC off late in the night and went back to them yesterday, and the sound was stuttering to the point that it was useless. I tried several things but the issue was solved by simply restarting the computer. 

I suppose you tried that, but i also notice the same behavior today. The Modi 2 uber apparently can't be plugged when the computer is running. Install the latest drivers and restart to see if this solves your issue. 

I don't unplug the Modi 2 Uber in general, but being that it has a wall plug and an on/off switch, I'd like to be able to turn it on and off without the need to restart the computer. It seems to be working at the moment, but I'll surely be back here to try and problem solve if anymore issues arise!

Aug 3, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #2,033 of 2,577

Well, my dacport simply makes the computer shut down because there is some conflict with the USB controller and how it delivers data. Windows simply kills the computer to save itself. Other times I get freezes, or YouTube videos refusing to start playing until the split second I unplug my dac, etc etc. Not sure about other USB dacs as I don't have any.

So, as always, I stick to onboard. If I'm on the go, iPhone is good enough. They are the only dac I'll ever need. :D

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #2,034 of 2,577
L3000.gif
Welcome to the world of cables and the differences a high quality cable can make. I cannot believe how some people can purchase a great piece of hi-fi kit and never get the true performance out of it by shoving on a piece of cheap wire. It beggar's belief.
It's like putting the wheels of a Ford F150 on a Ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You really want to hear that puppy sing....borrow and hang a Cardas Clear or Nordost Heimdall 2 or higher USB cable on it plus an Audioquest Jitterbug. Then if you want audio nirvana purchase a Schiit Wyred and another Jitterbug as well, then you will really appreciate what your Magni and Modi Uber2 are really capable of. That's exactly what I have done, plus I have also dumped the wall warts and purchased Linear Filtered Power Supplies as well. You wouldn't believe how dark the background is or how stunning the music is that I am hearing through my Beyerdynamic T1's now. 

Aug 3, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #2,035 of 2,577
:L3000: Welcome to the world of cables and the differences a high quality cable can make. I cannot believe how some people can purchase a great piece of hi-fi kit and never get the true performance out of it by shoving on a piece of cheap wire. It beggar's belief.
You really want to hear that puppy sing....borrow and hang a Cardas Clear or Nordost Heimdall 2 or higher USB cable on it plus an Audioquest Jitterbug. Then if you want audio nirvana purchase a Schiit Wyred and another Jitterbug as well, then you will really appreciate what your Magni and Modi Uber2 are really capable of. That's exactly what I have done, plus I have also dumped the wall warts and purchased Linear Filtered Power Supplies as well. You wouldn't believe how dark the background is or how stunning the music is that I am hearing through my Beyerdynamic T1's now. 

Nice! But for now, I'll stick with my iPhone. :)

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #2,036 of 2,577
I hope we don't get into one of those strings of posts about overpriced cables.

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #2,037 of 2,577
Sorry Stan,
I was replying to another post and some how this ended up here?? I tried to delete it but that didn't work.
I hope it doesn't, because this post is out of context here and doesn't make sense.
Cheers
John 

Aug 3, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #2,038 of 2,577
  Sorry Stan,
I was replying to another post and some how this ended up here?? I tried to delete it but that didn't work.
I hope it doesn't, because this post is out of context here and doesn't make sense.
Cheers
John 

No problem. I usually delete the text and replace it with a sentence explaining the deletion. Lately, upon occasion, I've had one submit create two posts and had to resort to doing this.

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,040 of 2,577

L3000.gif
Welcome to the world of cables and the differences a high quality cable can make. I cannot believe how some people can purchase a great piece of hi-fi kit and never get the true performance out of it by shoving on a piece of cheap wire. It beggar's belief.

I refused to believe that the placebo effect isn't real. Had a neighbor with his expensive USB cable and headphone cables for his planars and when a/b-ing  (we did flac vs 320kbps, expensive usb vs amazon basic, and his $140 headphone cables vs the one that came with the phone vs a cheap one from amazon) neither one pick which was which. Maybe if you have a noisy electronic environment or ****ty outboard USB maybe, big maybe.

But it's just as silly as a high end HDMI cable.

Dacs and amps make a dif, and maybe the headphone cable if the one u had before is crappy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back