*Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread*
Jun 11, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #1,861 of 2,577
  Now I just need to choose between the O2 and the magni 2...

Depends on what you value more: tuning and design by means of dry out-and-out measurements, or tuning and design using both measurements and the human ear. :wink:

BTW, my understanding (though I haven't heard either) is that Magni 2 Uber is a worthy upgrade on the stock Magni 2.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #1,862 of 2,577
  How 's the Magni 2 with the k701? Can I use the fiio e10 as dac (I'm gonna get the modi 2 eventually in the future) connected through the line out?
And sorry for the newbie question, but which cable should I use to connect the dac line out to the Magni 2?

If you looking for something more custom, we offer 3.5mm to RCA interconnect:

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 12, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #1,863 of 2,577
Hi All,

I have really cheap USB cable but now m thinking of upgrading the cable, though audio signal is just fine but as I was searching through "head-fi" some of the post says using higher quality USB cables does improve the sound, so I'm planning to purchase Ghentaudio U01 USB cable, has anyone tried this before or is currently using it, I need to know if it makes quite a lot of difference by using higher quality USB cable, since I have Schiit Modi 2 Uber which has external power source, upgrading the cable would it make lot of difference?

Thanks! 

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,864 of 2,577
Hi All,

I have really cheap USB cable but now m thinking of upgrading the cable, though audio signal is just fine but as I was searching through "head-fi" some of the post says using higher quality USB cables does improve the sound, so I'm planning to purchase Ghentaudio U01 USB cable, has anyone tried this before or is currently using it, I need to know if it makes quite a lot of difference by using higher quality USB cable, since I have Schiit Modi 2 Uber which has external power source, upgrading the cable would it make lot of difference?

Thanks! 

Direct quote from Schiit:

"USB PYST. This is the complete redefinition of USB cables. It actually, physically transports you* into an alternate universe where superbly-mastered, 24/192 music streams 24/7, free of charge to all listeners, for all genres. Supermodels in this alternate world are all deeply into high-end audio, and will beg to go out with you. Butterflies swirl in fantastic colors over clean-lined porcelain cityscapes, everyone is a millionaire, and flying cars run on air. It's a beautiful place to be!

*Or not. It may have been a hallucination. USB PYSTs are actually just nice, 1M long, USB 2.0-rated cables that have thicker than normal power conductors and silver-plated copper data lines. We think the electrons like silver better, or something. Or not.

In any case, you can get PYST, or you can save some money at Monoprice."

I think the higher end cables on the digital side are only worth the extra money for the build quality as there shouldn't be a difference in sound between digital cables that are properly shielded. I use an amazon basics usb for my modi 2 Uber and sent back the audioquest cable because I couldn't hear a difference.

Talking about upgraded cables and sound quality is likely to start a flame war, but there's schiit and my 2 cents.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #1,865 of 2,577
@Letmebefrank Thank you for your suggestion, well right now what I have is from Bandridge costing just $3 and the one which I'm planning to buy is of $25 from Ghentaudio, so yeah there is quite a lot of difference in pricing, yes as you pointed out the difference would only be of quality of the wiring and material used but if there isn't any sound quality difference (as you compared audioquest v. amazon basic usb cable) so I guess I would not upgrade the USB cable.

Thanks!

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #1,866 of 2,577
@Letmebefrank
 Thank you for your suggestion, well right now what I have is from Bandridge costing just $3 and the one which I'm planning to buy is of $25 from Ghentaudio, so yeah there is quite a lot of difference in pricing, yes as you pointed out the difference would only be of quality of the wiring and material used but if there isn't any sound quality difference (as you compared audioquest v. amazon basic usb cable) so I guess I would not upgrade the USB cable.

Thanks!

No problem. If your cable starts giving you issues then by all means get that ghentaudio one. $25 isn't bad if it's a quality cable.

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #1,869 of 2,577

If you looking for something more custom, we offer 3.5mm to RCA interconnect:

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/customcables/interconnect.html

That looks really nice! I wonder if they sound better than the generic ones I pulled from the old speaker setup, only if I can afford* it 
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,873 of 2,577
  So is it normal for the white LEDs on the Modi 2 Uber to go out? It was flickering for a while and now it doesn't even come on. It is the the coaxial connection.

I don't think it's normal although I don't own the Modi 2U, yet.
Contact Schiit by email, they are very responsive. The last two times I emailed them they responded within a day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back