Official NYC Meet Nov4 Impressions!
Nov 7, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #106 of 158
orig.jpg

This melted battery belongs to me and I have no idea why it did this. The battery was not being used at the time, it was simply lying by itself and getting hotter and hotter. Personally I think it was jealous of al those exploding laptop batteries
icon10.gif
Anyway, since I bought originally bought the battery from Thomas Distributing, I gave them a call and they're sending me a new one free of charge (no pun intended).

Thanks Tom for all your work in puttting this great meet together.[/QUOTE]

i have had this problem numerous times with powerex 9v batteries melting for no reason & i have had the same problems with tysonic 9v batteries as well. thos. distributing always made good on them & then i quit using rechargeable altogether & gave them all away in favor of the ultralife lithium batteries availble at thomas which are well worth the money for the hours of run time they porovide. 1 pair will run a headrooom micro with desktop module for around 25 to 30 hours when 1 pair of regular old bunnies provided around two hours of run time.

Nov 7, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #107 of 158
i wish i could use those ultralifes but they just wont fit in the Hornet. i use a tysonic now and nothing's blowing up *knock on wood* that reminds me, this unused ultralife has Romanee's name on it still!

Nov 7, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #109 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieo
distributing always made good on them & then i quit using rechargeable altogether & gave them all away in favor of the ultralife lithium batteries availble at thomas which are well worth the money for the hours of run time they porovide. 1 pair will run a headrooom micro with desktop module for around 25 to 30 hours when 1 pair of regular old bunnies provided around two hours of run time.

I use the Ultralife as well for my portable PIMETA....great battery life indeed. Right now they're $4.97 from Thomas. You can also get them from Mouser, but they're more expensive ~$7. You also have to wait to ge them since they can't air ship these batts, only ground.

Radioshack carries them if you need some in a pinch, but they're $11+.
frown.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #113 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai
It seemed a lot of People listened to Pk1 and sent their post, but almost noboday talk about PK2 and VSONIC VS-R02. Thanks a lot.

We owe you a very BIG apology for failing to mention the great giveaway of the Yuin PK1s and PK2s and the VSONIC VS-R02s, besides being very generous it was a lot of fun and nice break from the listening. Plus there were no losers since there was a nice baseball cap for everyone.

Nankai (Fang) is really a gentleman and his ability to find great sounding products at incredibly low prices will take him very far in this crazy business and hobby of ours.

Nov 8, 2006 at 2:15 AM Post #114 of 158
Quote:

It seemed a lot of People listened to Pk1 and sent their post, but almost noboday talk about PK2 and VSONIC VS-R02. Thanks a lot.

The PK2 are an excellent value and are a pleasant surprise. I can only imagine the PK1 being that much better at a still excellent price. Beautiful packaging and put apple buds to shame.

On a side note....my comments on the electrostatic amps reflect they were daisey chained in a complex setup and might not have been on long enough to reach their best.

Dan

Nov 8, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #115 of 158
Quote:

While I didn't listen to the PK2, I did listen to the VS-R02. It sounds fabulous for a low priced IEM. I had the feeling listening to them that this was another 10 pin strike to go along with the PK1. The only change I'd like to see is to the clear plastic tip because it rings with the music more than I care for. The plastic tip that Westone ships is less cylindrical, more half sphere shaped, and it rings less, so maybe the longer barrel-like shape accounts for the extra ringing.

While I'm no expert in lower priced IEMs, I personally haven't heard anything below $150us that's significantly better. Given the (much lower) expected pricing, this is a deadly serious contender at lower price ranges. If I lack enthusiasm for it, it comes down to simple economics. My portable rig costs over $1000us, so it's easy to justify spending $200-400us or even more for an IEM. While the VS-R02 is very good, it just can't compete at those price levels. But for anyone looking to spend $100us or less, the VSONIC VS-R02 deserves an audition.

I could say the same for the PK1. I personally wouldn't consider buying one. I also try to steer anyone seriously interested in upgrading towards the idea of spending in the $200us range for something they'd be really happy with. The reason I'm enthusiastic about the PK1 is simply that I've never heard any ear bud at any price that sounds as good. Unfortunately, that wouldn't translate into a sale, at least in my case.

Nov 8, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #116 of 158
Big thanks to bozebuttons for organizing the meet, and to Yikes for giving me a ride. The meet was a great time.

Followings are short (i.e., one-line) gear impressions.
  1. CIAudio VHP1 w/ VAC1 power supply did a decent job of driving K1000's - better than I had expected.
  2. B52 sounded really, really good when I tried it with Yikes' Siltech recabled Sony SA5000's. I tried it later with K1000's but there were way too much noise around me at the time.
  3. Rudistor NX-33 did not like K1000's at all - it just couldn't drive them. While I realize it wasn't designed to work with K1000's, I expected better result.
  4. HE90's sounded fantastic with ES-1, but then again, I expected that after listening the setup previously.
  5. HeadRoom Desktop Portable w/ Home module drove my Ety ER4S amazingly well. If I were to build a transportable rig, I would seriously consider getting the amp.

Oh, and thanks again, Danny.
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #117 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Ooh! Someone brought a vintage Marantz receiver! It woulda been fun to bring a TT and hook it up w/that phono stage in there!

And we could listen to truly ridiculously awful vinyl, with album art that would make you roll over in your grave.

That was joelongwood's Marantz.

If you want, for the next meet I could bring a Creek 5350SE and a Kenwood KA-7300 (from 1978, but I'll have to finish restoring it first) both of which are supposed to have really good phono stages. Unfortunately, both are MM. My turntable's not so hot--Project Debut III with the stock ortofon cartrdge--although that gloss red turntable looks hot on top of my black stereo rack with all that black and silver equipment. We could revive your album art theme and go all out with analog. Or maybe we could do a separate analog mini meet.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #118 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
  1. B52 sounded really, really good when I tried it with Yikes' Siltech recabled Sony SA5000's. I tried it later with K1000's but there were way too much noise around me at the time.

so the b52 can drive the k1000's. i was afraid you would say this.
argh, thanks for making me want one more than listening did.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #120 of 158
I wish I was able to attend this meeting
frown.gif
; I am in DC!

For those who tried PK1, it says 150 ohms which sound ridiculously high for an earbud, yet few claim that it could be driven through a headphone out w/o an amp! Is this true?

How does it compare unamped with other lower-end earbuds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back