Official NYC Meet Nov4 Impressions!
Nov 5, 2006 at 2:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 158

hYdrociTy

Banned
Ha! im the first one back home! Wow there so much to sort through, but yea it was really rewarding to be with y'all, so nice and everything.

The only thing I can remember off the top of my head was that just like the first day I plugged in some nice cans + amp, I just had the same feelings again today! Expecially the raptor+ksc35 combo.. I think I just experienced the epitome of the koss' performance..

I really wanted to check out the K701+ micro, and was pleasantly surprised at the step up from the mobile to micro...The K701 on the otherhand was kind of underwhelming, but then I had such high expectations of it. Maybe because there were no harsh notes and nothing really stood out, then again the bass was kind of omnipresent? Otherwise the sound was liquid and smooth, kind of boring at times, but nice

The new DT880s were a nice experience. I loved the soundstage, and how it kept some detail while still sounding deep. Paired with tube amps to emphasise the mids really helped them shine.

Grados! Not as bright as I expected. I think I had these impressions burned in my mind that grados would be really forward etc.. But not at all. From the 125 to the rs1, the sound was pretty foward but not like I thought. Highs didnt feel extrapolated like in the sa5k, and there was maybe a bit of soundstage with em. The rs2s were my fav, tho the hp series sounded totally different. Fuller, and a bit farther away I would say.

If anyone every doubted the Tomahawk, well I say to you that little thing on high gain rapes my hd580. I was just one foot away with k1000's in my hand when ray told me that would probably not be powerful enough, and though I sensed the tension in his voice, i knew deep down that the little toma could handle it! Thanks Ray for letting us abuse the little portables! I had a great time with the hornet. Holy detail retrieval batman! The stuff that the hornet picked up, and the bass.. the punch..the sheer adeptness just amazed me. The little on/off switch that happened to be transparent and glowed was a great touch! The gain switch was so nice, as it was recessed enough to not be accidentally flicked, yet I could easily do it if needed. st71? foggetaboutit! That thing was big, beefy, and well.. I only got about 5 minutes with it and then it dissapeared so not much impressions.

The K1000 sounded wierd. It was like.. The sound floated around the front of my head, and the pressure level was so high, I felt like I could just reach out and touch the blob of waves..Very natural and long decay, cymbals were heard well without too much sibilance. The bass wasnt as lacking as I anticipated, and well, most of my prejudices were overthrown. The K501 does have bass, at least IMO.

Those pk1s were some awsome buds. They actually sound full, and you dont have to blast it to get some nice bass extension. The pk2's on the otherhand sound more like really good earbuds than the pk1's which sound more.. bigger-can-ish

Why where there no turntables present?lol

Those Ultrasones were quite impressive, as I came with the thought that they sounded horrible or something. The sound sig was more..well it was nothing Ive ever heard. They sounded generic, and not generic as in bad, but were flat sounding yet managed to stay musical. I just dont know how to describe it. The soundstage was medium, bass was tight, and the highs were not lacking. Sounded like a GS1k on steroids.

Hmm.. Arrg this meet was way too hifi.. Very few cheap cans. No px100 or k81 T__T" Oh wells.

Justin didnt bring a g-lite! Arrgghh! Im so interested in one, and now I will have to wait...

Ok heres goes with the portables! Lets see.. what was there..
airhead, ldm+, larocco, toma, hornet, sr71, ae1, ae2(?), porta v2maxed, microstack
Well even with "just" an ipod, the difference was staggering between each. I would say the most memorable of the few were the portaphile vs hornet vs ae1 vs ae2. I really wanted a portaphile, and when I tried romanees, I loved it. The soundstage was nice, details came through gently, and subtle nunces were picked up. The Hornet was rockin! That thing had dynamic range and was punchy as hell. Spared no detail even with the enhanced bass. The ae2 sounded very smooth, and I would bet would be a very nice match for grados and sonys. They were very lush, and musical. Not too much emphasized, but doesnt count as warm. Warm was the old ae1s. Man are they...not exciting! Could be good for some types of music tho. The tomahawk as said before was overwhelming, but since the cable on my superfi5s decided to die early, I did not get to test the toma in all its glory. As Peter said, Quote:

Originally Posted by Roman33
Something about the Hornet and the Portaphile elopeing and the product would be the ultimate portable or something in that nature..

I personally love the micro with the desktop module. That things probably my next purchase. After I get the hornet and portaphile hybrid.

The orpheus? Well.. It was kind of.. OK. Its like your first kiss. You have all these images in your head. And when you finally get to it, all you feel is chapped lips. They werent bad. I could find no real faults with them, so maybe thats why they are so good. If you do something extraordinary, then somewhere else gets comprimised. The orpheus sounded pretty good throughout.

K1000 was powerful, and extrememly fast. It truely was good, and was especially good coming out of that homebrew thing. The thing with the textured spraypainted stone power transformer box thing with the 5 tubes.

Will write more when I get my thoughts together and that nice whiskey settles down..

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 158
Where are the pictures?
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Where are the pictures?
wink.gif

Eh, we're working on it, we're working on it...

(why do you think hydrocity got the first post??)
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #4 of 158
Subscribed!

Nov 5, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Eh, we're working on it, we're working on it...

(why do you think hydrocity got the first post??)
biggrin.gif

hey jason how many pics did you take of the side of my headphones in the end? You were like doing macros on the slightly dirty headband of the 580s..

Nov 5, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 158
i am so jealous! sounded like a killer meet! ARGH!

Nov 5, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #7 of 158
I'm surprised. Usually by now there's already a page and a half of posts. Come on guys! I was stuck at a baby shower today. I need to live vicariously!!!

Nov 5, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #9 of 158
well the first guy to get home came home right before 10pm and he was drunk...so i have a feeling we wont get impressions until the hair of the dog does the trick around tomorrow afternoon
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 158
then listening under the influence should be a crime cause the wait is killing me and I do prefer impressions from sober and clear headed listeners.
tongue.gif

Nov 5, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #13 of 158
16 of us were at a diner until 10 o'clock and 20 people were on public transport, so patience will have to be a virtue of Head-Fi passion.

Thanks Tom for another successful meet. Tom (Bozebuttons) brought 18 boxes worth of stuff, including 2 crates that were 3' X 3' X3' and weigh at least 75 lbs. each
blink.gif
Ray brought a Pelican case that was twice as big as Tyll's (from previous meets) and weighed 110 lbs.

I feel compelled to say that I think that Tom is one of kindest, most giving people that I have ever meet.
His efforts and participation are unconditional, and the fact that he is willing to share his equipment with everyone, regardless of cost blows me away. If more people were like Tom, the world would be a far better place. Everything that he did, he did for us, creating a huge workload for himself.

Thanks man.

Nov 5, 2006 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 158
Well, I can't post too many impressions because I was basically overwhelmed; can't remember all the names of all the great people or the equipment I saw.
redface.gif
Just tried to get my footing @ my first one of these and put images with all the equipment names I've heard thrown about; should probably have a pad of paper & take notes next time. Fabulous stuff!

Got there a bit late and was stressed setting everything up; then I noticed it was 4:30; then I realized it was 5:30; then 6:30 ... woa, gotta brake it down and I hardly listened to anything ... spent a lot of time listening to and deciding if I wanted to plung for a K340 (which I decided to do). And Yes as warned, critical listening in a meet is a really hard thing too.

One thing I do know is I -have- to get my old CAL CL-10 that got burt when the house got hit by lightning fixed ... or by another high-end CD player or transport/DAC combo of eBay. Listening to my comparison tracks du jour on CD on other peoples equipment then returning to mine which was MP3s really was noticable. (You get used to it though I guess.... at least I do)

Anyway, so while I may be completely useless as far as impressions are concerned, I did at least shoot some pix with my wife's point&shoot ; all of course embarassed by jjcha's shots
redface.gif
biggrin.gif
. Click the pic for my complete library of all the shots. (p.s. ironic my one shot of my own rig is blurred...
frown.gif
... though there's a nice shot of Hydrocity enjoying some K1000's on the powerful LDIII+ ) Great meeting so many of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back