Official NYC Meet Nov4 Impressions!
Nov 7, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #91 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
I think it's something Mikhail was considering for a tubed portable amp, but the battery life of 2.3 seconds was a bit problematical.

lol.

looks like you guys had fun!

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #92 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterP
Well, I guess I have been too much of a lurker. It’s taken me this long to find out where the comments from the NYC show end up
confused.gif
I didn’t even know that there was a Meet Impressions Forum.
First I’d like to thank bozebuttons for organizing the event. It was the first HeadFi meet that I’ve been to. Lots of great equipment and an opportunity to hear more equipment and headphones than I’ve ever seen in one place. All of the gear was great. I was especially taken with some of the Single Power stuff. I normally listen to DT880s but brought along a pair of Grado SR125. I was really taken with the Grado GS-1000 and AKG K-1000 both were very, very nice, in a whole different world than the equipment that I have.
When I got there I set-up my amp and a Sony DiskMan as a source. With one short listen Yikes told me that I definitely need a better source and offered up his CD player and cables all of which remained attached for the rest of the meet. I can’t thank you enough, I finally go to hear what the amp is capable of.
As for my amp looking like a railroad tie, please give me a break that top plate is a slat off of an old gas BBQ
biggrin.gif
Yes it’s 6SN7 based. SRPP front end with the lower resistor bypassed – into a White Follower – cap coupled to output transformers.
It was a great meet and I’ll have to try to get to more of them and contribute to the forum a bit more.

Thanks.

CIMG2784-vi.jpg

This is the most amazing thing I've heard through my Etymotic er4p since the last Babylon meet where Romanee turned me on to Arturo Sandoval live on something he called a DAC. I don't usually care much for sound stage, but listening to those gas-fired tubes makes me want to go see Arturo Sandoval live like right now. Next meet I listen to more tube amps. Thanks for not lurking at the meet.

And no wonder SiBurning loves it so much... Slat off of an old gas BBQ, indeed.

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #93 of 158
Quote:

As for my amp looking like a railroad tie, please give me a break that top plate is a slat off of an old gas BBQ
biggrin.gif
Yes it’s 6SN7 based. SRPP front end with the lower resistor bypassed – into a White Follower – cap coupled to output transformers.

my appologies for calling it that. it is somewhat unconventional in its layout, but i like it. it looks like it is a perfect fit for a bookshelf. after attempts at putting just about anything else on a bookshelf...
i did quite like this amp for the brief time i listened to it.

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #94 of 158
Nov 7, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #95 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning
And no wonder SiBurning loves it so much... Slat off of an old gas BBQ, indeed.

...and why are we talking in first person singular? Are we hearing voices too
basshead.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #97 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
my appologies for calling it that. it is somewhat unconventional in its layout, but i like it. it looks like it is a perfect fit for a bookshelf. after attempts at putting just about anything else on a bookshelf...
i did quite like this amp for the brief time i listened to it.

No need to appologize. I still need to come up with some name for it:
Tie (railroad tie) and GG or G2 (gas grill) are now the leading contenders
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #98 of 158
Quote:

No need to appologize. I still need to come up with some name for it:
Tie (railroad tie) and GG or G2 (gas grill) are now the leading contenders
smily_headphones1.gif

Whatever you call it I like the look! Nicely figured wood. I was told that was one I should hear in the short time I had, but sadly it was packed and gone when I aimed myself in its direction! Sorry I didn't head there first. I never even took my jacket off, I was so determined to at try to hear some gear before time ran out. Hope to hear it in the future.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #99 of 158
Quote:

I was especially taken with some of the Single Power stuff. I normally listen to DT880s but brought along a pair of Grado SR125.
CIMG2784-vi.jpg

Peter, I enjoyed listening to the SA5K's and SR125 through your Amp - it really warmed both up, and more so reduced the overstated, yet accurate highs on the SA5K. Good luck with your new designs; it was nice meeting you...

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #100 of 158
Ooh! Someone brought a vintage Marantz receiver! It woulda been fun to bring a TT and hook it up w/that phono stage in there!

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #101 of 158
Great to see old friends, like Boze, jpelg, Aaron, Mikhail and Ray Samuels. And new ones like Mike. Tom, thanks so much for your generosity with your time and your amazing gear.

My main interest at the meet was seeing if there was an amp I preferred to the Microzotl with my R10's. The short answer is no, there wasn't, but listening is half the fun. Thanks to Tom, I was able to spend quite some time with the Zana Deux in my rig. The ZD is a beutifully crafted machine that I would be proud to own, although I might be tempted to replace the two black plastic knobs on the face with wood or metal knobs. Through the R10's, the quality of the ZD was clear— it probably outweighs the zotl by 15 pounds. The ZD gripped the music and had it fully under control, with a rich, but not syrupy sound. However, the R10 has a pretty romantic presentation of its own, and I preferred the greater "neutrality" of the 'zotl. I imagine that the ZD would be a wonderful amp with Senn. 600/650.

Random observations:

- I'm not into earbuds, but the Yuin PK 1's amazed me with their clarity, balance and presence. And, thanks for the nice hat.

- Aaron, where were the brownies?!?

- Whether you give a darn about headphones or not, everyone should spend an afternoon in the company of the unassuming Assyrian, Mr. Ray Samuels.

- Listened to Patricia Barber thru R10's and Joe Longwood's RKV— it was like being in the room with the lady. (Don't know why everyone was dissing the RKV, it sounded great to me.)

- Best moment (and I mean no offense to the relative newbie involved). A noob, and I apologize for forgetting his name (or is it better that way?) switched from his Beyer 880's to a pair of R10's. "Wow," he responded, "these sound good. I gotta get a pair of closed-back headphones."

Thanks again, all around. Glad we raised some scratch for head-fi. It was fun.

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:26 AM Post #102 of 158
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave
Best moment (and I mean no offense to the relative newbie involved). A noob, and I apologize for forgetting his name (or is it better that way?) switched from his Beyer 880's to a pair of R10's. "Wow," he responded, "these sound good. I gotta get a pair of closed-back headphones."

hey, I resemble that remark!
340smile.gif
biggrin.gif
I'm glad I could brighten your day. I guess we all made that kind of impression at one one point; thanx for being kind btw in response to mine; it must have been hard holding back the laughter!!!
redface.gif
(lol)

Seriously, I'm still very thankful I got to hear them even if for such a short time; I should have went back to them. Not since my 2 channel system was kicking did I hear such 2-channel dynamics!

Nov 7, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #103 of 158
At least he didn't have the R-10's on backwards like some noobs at other meets...which we were lucky enough to catch them in a Kodak moment
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #104 of 158
This was my second meet and my first full sized meet, since my first meet was the NYC Summer mini-meet, and it was once again a whole lot of fun and a really good time.

People are very passionate and very well informed about their headphones and the related equipment, including the music listened to, kind of like the way sport fans are about their favorite teams. You have the Sennheiser fans, the Grado fans, the Sony fans, etc. And the great thing about is that we all can get together and exchange ideas and feelings without any anger or hostility.

Meeting the great Ray Samuels was really a treat. He's as friendly as one can possibly imagine and cares deeply about this little hobby of ours. I wish him all the best. His Sony R10's really blew my mind.

SiBurning was his wild and wacky self. He's quite a character and could only come from NY. Unfortanately Romanee arrived rather late but that did not stop him from running some rather ear opening listening tests. Peter's ability to distern the subtlest differences with just the briefest of listens is beyond compare, it's simply amazing. My hat's off to you, Romanee and boy, am I glad I'm not cursed with such a set of finely tuned ears!!

orig.jpg

This melted battery belongs to me and I have no idea why it did this. The battery was not being used at the time, it was simply lying by itself and getting hotter and hotter. Personally I think it was jealous of al those exploding laptop batteries
icon10.gif
Anyway, since I bought originally bought the battery from Thomas Distributing, I gave them a call and they're sending me a new one free of charge (no pun intended).

Thanks Tom for all your work in puttting this great meet together.

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #105 of 158
I was going to ask what happened to the 9v nimh battery.
I had that happen to my Plainview, I connected it incorrectly using aligator clips to charge. It bulged out of it's case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back