Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #46 of 163
Another impressive combination was this - when it worked that is ...

The first time I heard the HE-6 but when you listen at volume to shut out background noise from the hall, you move your head slightly and the signal on one channel gets lost and comes back after an inch of a turn in the other direction it's pretty irritating. Obvious cable plug issues on the headphones. They should have had their act together for this kind of combination.

That point off my chest
rolleyes.gif
, the sound was pretty close to SR-009 territory in my book. Completely effortless but also lacking soundstage behind the HD800's.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #47 of 163

The first time I heard the HE-6 but when you listen at volume to shut out background noise from the hall, you move your head slightly and the signal on one channel gets lost and comes back after an inch of a turn in the other direction it's pretty irritating. Obvious cable plug issues on the headphones. They should have had their act together for this kind of combination.

That point off my chest
rolleyes.gif
, the sound was pretty close to SR-009 territory in my book. Completely effortless but also lacking soundstage behind the HD800's.

icebear - any observations about the Lampizator specifically?

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #48 of 163

icebear - any observations about the Lampizator specifically?

In my opinion, it is completely impossible to analyze a DAC without having other DAC's on the same audio system. How do we know what his amps and headphones sound like? Even a low end DAC from a different brand would be sufficient to perform a comparison. But with no reference point, it is pointless to demo a DAC.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #49 of 163
Agree, really liked the HK240, my gut is that it sounded better than my Fiio X3, but, with different headphones, (the UE Reference Customs), and different music on the HK240, it really wasn't possible to say I did any comparison...

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #50 of 163
Been home here in MA for a little while, but wanted to pass on big thanks to Tom, the vendors, and all who came and made it fun.  Good to see some old and new faces, and sorry some couldn't make it.
And I brought some scotch and bourbon, but never raised a formal toast to Tom....will do so tonight methinks 
beerchug.gif

Didn't listen a ton, was doing more chatting, but some things I did specifically like: Doug's acrylic-cased ECP prototypes (and Doug if you read this: Industrial music is the ****, dude), Dave The Rave's Sony system, the custom electrostatics off Kerry's compact KGSS, and Dan's MrSpeaker's Alpha Dogs even off my own amp.  Didn't actually listen to the Headamp BHSE/009 combo; have heard it before, and there is little like it....it is certainly a crown jewel IMO.  I also liked, but didn't listen to, several DIY items and a couple nice-looking Bottlehead builds.

Didn't listen at any of the vendor tables, but thought they all did a great job with their displays and saw good amounts of people around them.  Seems like some very good folks who represent.....

All in all, another great time, hoping to make the NY meets regularly in the future!

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #51 of 163
  Thanks for the great meet. First time I'd heard the LCD-X, really impressive headphones. Unfortunately I could still feel where they were sitting on my head hours later on the drive home after wearing them for two minutes (the longest I can possibly tolerate having those headphones sitting on my head), so I'll never be able to own LCD's.

Very disappointed by the SR-009/BHSE combo. SR-007 is fantastic on Kevin Gilmore amps, but for me they're not the right amps for the SR-009. Nothing negative to say about the BHSE, I just don't think it's the right combo for the SR-009.

I was amazed by the SR-X MK3 and have already purchased a pair on ebay!

Dude, what was it that disappointed you with the SR-009/BHSE combo?  This was the very first time, listening to them that I didn't find the SR-009s too piercing treble-wise.  Maybe it was because of the new tubes Justin was using, or the DAC (I forget which model).  

Did you find they still had that trebly problem?

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #53 of 163
    In particular the SRX Mk3 (circa 1975) got some really good notice with more than a few people asking if I would consider selling (no).  

That was me :) Loved the sound of the SRX. Had to settle on a pair of 007 MK2 I located. Which model amp did you have the SRX connected to?

Great setup. Thanks again for the demo. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #54 of 163
  Dude, what was it that disappointed you with the SR-009/BHSE combo?  This was the very first time, listening to them that I didn't find the SR-009s too piercing treble-wise.  Maybe it was because of the new tubes Justin was using, or the DAC (I forget which model).  

Did you find they still had that trebly problem?

Too bright, too much treble, and really limited sound stage. At the fall meet I listened to the SR-009 on the Woo WEE and a Mcintosh amplifier whose model I don't know, and I found it to be exceptional. That was the best acoustic experience I've ever had. At this meet, there were plenty of things I'd take over SR-009+BHSE.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #56 of 163

Too bright, too much treble, and really limited sound stage. At the fall meet I listened to the SR-009 on the Woo WEE and a Mcintosh amplifier whose model I don't know, and I found it to be exceptional. That was the best acoustic experience I've ever had. At this meet, there were plenty of things I'd take over SR-009+BHSE.

Do you recall which McIntosh amp?

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #58 of 163
That would be me. A big shout out of thanks for those who stopped by to check out my home system, which concludes with an RSA Raptor feeding Sony R10's. There were some youngsters who had never heard of the R10's, and some more seasoned head-fiers who knew of them but had never heard them. It was a hoot to see their reactions, and I really enjoyed talking to Steve, Jose and Jack. Great to see Jude, as well. Thanks to Tom and the terrific Head-Fi community for a great day!

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #59 of 163

That point off my chest
rolleyes.gif

I agree. Was an impressive setup. One of my favs.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #60 of 163
I will answer in the oppo thread.
Just like to say that the meet location had really great ambiance and space to hear music even with open cans and the noise level was better than the last location..

The  big size of the hall made it  possible  to listen no problem with open cans.Even the vendors Liked the Vibe of the Hall.
 I liked the oppo pm-1 build quality & comfort .
 I listened to it with the Eddie Current 2A3mkII & My phillips Sacd 1000.
Initial impressions is that it was a little dark sounding & closed in.I had the EC2a3 in my home before the meet using the same setup as the meet.

Using the EC2A3 with my wireworld Hardwired  HE500 the EC2A3 soundstage was way more extended   & open sounding  with more treble energy.
My ATHD2000 & silver dragon HD650 also where a good match with the EC 2A3  wide open sounding with hard hitting bass.
I Iiked the EC2a3 a lot having spent a couple of days with it at home.I am on the EC Levi build list & waiting patiently for it.

My impression on the oppo is only with a few minutes of listening at the meet,so take my impressions with a grain of salt,Jude seems to like the oppo, sometimes you need to adjust to the sound
of a headphone in a longer time frame,I would like to have been able to spend more quality time with it.

Decurs  Apex Teton with the beyer T1 was  a great combo as well,end game setup quality.

I didn't listen to much at the meet as I hardly do anymore, a lot of yacking & making sure everything is setup for the meet attendees.   

The after meet Diner run is also a NY meet tradition I always enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back