Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #31 of 163
Not sure if I should post, think people have posted pictures of most of the stuff already.
Nice set ups at the tables, not just the vendors...I brought a bunch of headphones with me, but I felt intimidated by the 1st tier headphones and sources everyone had there, looked much more on point than my poor source material (Fiio X3, 2 iPod Touches, ALO National) and mid level headphones. This is actually the way I listen, with portable rig, if I want to use big set up, usually use speakers, but walking around, laying in bed, other times, always on the DAPs.
Loved the Audeze comparisons, agree with above, all nice sounding, house sound, could use slightly more on top imo, but really enjoyable.
Loved Alpha Dogs
LOVED AK240/UERC
Lots of other nice set ups/cans/sources/amplficartion

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #32 of 163
OK, what the heck, you can always scan past...

the wood headphones were demo'd by David, if I remember correctly (apologies if I didn't), Sony MDR-R10, I believe (no, the devilishly handsome model with the headphones is not some movie star you can't place...)

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #33 of 163
Not sure if I should post, think people have posted pictures of most of the stuff already.
Nice set ups at the tables, not just the vendors...I brought a bunch of headphones with me, but I felt intimidated by the 1st tier headphones and sources everyone had there, looked much more on point than my poor source material (Fiio X3, 2 iPod Touches, ALO National) and mid level headphones. This is actually the way I listen, with portable rig, if I want to use big set up, usually use speakers, but walking around, laying in bed, other times, always on the DAPs.
Loved the Audeze comparisons, agree with above, all nice sounding, house sound, could use slightly more on top imo, but really enjoyable.
Loved Alpha Dogs
LOVED AK240/UERC

No need to feel intimidated. My set up consisted of a FiiO E17 docked with a FiiO E9 and my headphones were all from V-MODA.

The whole point of the meet to get to play with gear you're unfamiliar with or are curious about. How are you liking your X3?

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #34 of 163
Thanks to everyone who came to the meet it was a great day!

Thanks for the vendor & member support of the not so silent auction ,some great deals where had.Special thanks  to NIkongod for being the auctioneer Great Job!
Enough funds where raised with extra funds for the next NY meet.
Also Special thanks to Speedracer1 for coming in early & setting up the power strips & extension cords to the tables.

Donations for the not so silent auction( Thanks to the winning bidders  Hope you enjoy your new Toys) 

Grado Labs-PS500
Mr Speakers-Mad  Dog
Ultimate ears-UE900 
HeadAmp- $200 Discount  coupon
LampizatOr North American Distributor - 2   40% off coupons 
BeyerDynamic-Dt1350
Sennheiser  -limited edition red bull infinity Racing momentum   
Cat6man- cables
Woo Audio -cash donation

There was a good turn out for the meet Hard to say how many as everyone was coming & going during the meet.It was good to see a lot of  meet newbies.
Don't be Shy Post your impressions  of the meet.

Apr 6, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 163

Loved Alpha Dogs

LOVED AK240/UERC

No need to feel intimidated. My set up consisted of a FiiO E17 docked with a FiiO E9 and my headphones were all from V-MODA.

The whole point of the meet to get to play with gear you're unfamiliar with or are curious about. How are you liking your X3?

Even your looks more "high tech" than mine would have been...probably should have set up, but had a great time wandering around. I do like the X3 very mudh, of course the AK240 did sound much better (at around 8 times the cost, natch). Thinking about the X5/Pono, Geek seems to have some music playing gear up their sleeves as well...

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #36 of 163
Thanks for the great meet. First time I'd heard the LCD-X, really impressive headphones. Unfortunately I could still feel where they were sitting on my head hours later on the drive home after wearing them for two minutes (the longest I can possibly tolerate having those headphones sitting on my head), so I'll never be able to own LCD's.

Very disappointed by the SR-009/BHSE combo. SR-007 is fantastic on Kevin Gilmore amps, but for me they're not the right amps for the SR-009. Nothing negative to say about the BHSE, I just don't think it's the right combo for the SR-009.

I was amazed by the SR-X MK3 and have already purchased a pair on ebay!

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #37 of 163
PM-1 seems like a really good headphone totally but sounds like a closed one soundstage wise... Oh well, guess it's back to 560 again :wink: easier decisions!

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #38 of 163
Thanks to Tom for organizing the meet ..

Ditto as this meet was very revealing and just excellent all around.

OK, what the heck, you can always scan past...

Hi those "were" my fostex TH600 & Audio Technica w3000anv besides "DutchGFX" Beyer T1 on his table...
And have to say the three cans sounded so excellent in his setup that they are a triple threat dream combo that compliment each other to cover all music genres..

In fact I must point out that this time around, every single table setup that I listened, had a sweet "tuned" setup where every table sounded excellent and had great sound. There was very very good sound just everywhere & the level of synergy and quality was high, it was very fun.

Now onto some points that stood out for me that I consider very surprising and impressive..

The Woo Audio WA7 from Jack Wu with the new power supply unit..
Maybe "olegausany" can chime in, as he brought some military spec tube replacements(!) for the new power supply..
It enhanced it's capabilities EVEN FURTHER,
and I as I listened,
my jaw dropped in shock(!)
as I was astounded by the bottomless oomph and power which was unleashed from the wa7, using that new power supply..

It was uttlery impressive and I had a hard time believing that using tubes in a power supply could cause such a benefit in its capabilities..
Amazing was the word, but not as much with the stock tubes..

Also,
So my thoughts on the new Oppo PM-1 would be:
1- It is slightly overpriced..
2- It scales high
3- Very polished and quality feel
4- very comfortable
5- very very nice size and looks
6- soundstage not very large for an open can. Just slightly larger than an AlphaDog and older LCD models.
7- Impact, detail, and bass were all there. No faults at all to nitpick.
8- Oppo efficiency was just marginally better than an Alpha Dog.. Not a huge jump.
The new LCDs seemed slightly more efficient.
Still it was a noticeable improvement.

So to sum up and spill the beans,
Overall, the Oppo PM-1 had very good sound, superior to, say an AplhaDog or a HE500..
But not by much..
Not enough to justify that price.
So I really don't feel it was better than say, an HE-6 or an LCD X..
Yet its close up there, and a very, very nice alternative..
I would buy one if it was cheaper than the HE-560 I already pre-ordered
:)

Also I thought the LCD X was the best sounding LCD there, easily over the LCD XC or the LCD 3 :p
Just a larger livelier nicer sound overall.

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #39 of 163
Ditto as this meet was very revealing and just excellent all around.
Hi those "were" my fostex TH600 & Audio Technica w3000anv besides "DutchGFX" Beyer T1 on his table...
And have to say the three cans sounded so excellent in his setup that they are a triple threat dream combo that compliment each other to cover all music genres..

In fact I must point out that this time around, every single table setup that I listened, had a sweet "tuned" setup where every table sounded excellent and had great sound. There was very very good sound just everywhere & the level of synergy and quality was high, it was very fun.

Now onto some points that stood out for me that I consider very surprising and impressive..

The Woo Audio WA7 from Jack Wu with the new power supply unit..
Maybe "olegausany" can chime in, as he brought some military spec tube replacements(!) for the new power supply..
It enhanced it's capabilities EVEN FURTHER,
and I as I listened,
my jaw dropped in shock(!)
as I was astounded by the bottomless oomph and power which was unleashed from the wa7, using that new power supply..

It was uttlery impressive and I had a hard time believing that using tubes in a power supply could cause such a benefit in its capabilities..
Amazing was the word, but not as much with the stock tubes..

Also,
So my thoughts on the new Oppo PM-1 would be:
1- It is slightly overpriced..
2- It scales high
3- Very polished and quality feel
4- very comfortable
5- very very nice size and looks
6- soundstage not very large for an open can. Just slightly larger than an AlphaDog and older LCD models.
7- Impact, detail, and bass were all there. No faults at all to nitpick.
8- Oppo efficiency was just marginally better than an Alpha Dog.. Not a huge jump.
The new LCDs seemed slightly more efficient.
Still it was a noticeable improvement.

So to sum up and spill the beans,
Overall, the Oppo PM-1 had very good sound, superior to, say an AplhaDog or a HE500..
But not by much..
Not enough to justify that price.
So I really don't feel it was better than say, an HE-6 or an LCD X..
Yet its close up there, and a very, very nice alternative..
I would buy one if it was cheaper than the HE-560 I already pre-ordered
:)

Also I thought the LCD X was the best sounding LCD there, easily over the LCD XC or the LCD 3 :p
Just a larger livelier nicer sound overall.

Looks like a fellow pre-orderer :beerchug:
How did you like the treble and air?

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #40 of 163
Looks like a fellow pre-orderer :beerchug:
How did you like the treble and air?

I will answer in the oppo thread.
Just like to say that the meet location had really great ambiance and space to hear music even with open cans and the noise level was better than the last location..

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #41 of 163
I will answer in the oppo thread.
Just like to say that the meet location had really great ambiance and space to hear music even with open cans and the noise level was better than the last location..

That or a PM would do :wink:

Apr 6, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #43 of 163
This rig positvely was impressive, although soundstage lacks clearly behind the HD800.
Everything else, the speed and ease, the airyness of the presentation (large orchestra) is a class of its own.

900x900px-LL-1d85f4c2_BHSE009-1009377.jpeg

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #44 of 163
Sounds like you and I hear similarly, icebear. SR-009s are impressive, but just don't hit the mark due to soundstage.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #45 of 163
Had a great time seeing familiar faces and meeting some new ones, thanks Tom and all for putting on such a characteristically awesome event.  There was amazing gear there, but as always I don't seem to get enough time to wander and hear all the goodies....   

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back