Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #61 of 163
  Another impressive combination was this - when it worked that is ...

The first time I heard the HE-6 but when you listen at volume to shut out background noise from the hall, you move your head slightly and the signal on one channel gets lost and comes back after an inch of a turn in the other direction it's pretty irritating. Obvious cable plug issues on the headphones. They should have had their act together for this kind of combination.

That point off my chest
rolleyes.gif
, the sound was pretty close to SR-009 territory in my book. Completely effortless but also lacking soundstage behind the HD800's.

I apologize for the channel dropout issue, the cable was accidentally yanked. We had a backup but it hadn't been burnt in fully and sounded bright. 

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #62 of 163
  That was me :) Loved the sound of the SRX. Had to settle on a pair of 007 MK2 I located. Which model amp did you have the SRX connected to?

Great setup. Thanks again for the demo.

Glad you liked it so much Tony, settling for a set of 007 Mk2 doesn't sound like a bad way to "settle".

The amp driving the SRX Mk3 was a Stax SRM-T1 tube unit, vintage 1982.  Glad you and your buddy stopped by the table, some good talk.

Will be responding to the email you sent me.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #63 of 163
  Thanks for the great meet. First time I'd heard the LCD-X, really impressive headphones. Unfortunately I could still feel where they were sitting on my head hours later on the drive home after wearing them for two minutes (the longest I can possibly tolerate having those headphones sitting on my head), so I'll never be able to own LCD's.

Very disappointed by the SR-009/BHSE combo. SR-007 is fantastic on Kevin Gilmore amps, but for me they're not the right amps for the SR-009. Nothing negative to say about the BHSE, I just don't think it's the right combo for the SR-009.

I was amazed by the SR-X MK3 and have already purchased a pair on ebay!

I was so glad that you got the opportunity to audition them at the show and was so impressed.  Even more glad that the Ebay situation worked out..... One caveat, should you ever decide to move away from them (not likely, they are really keepers for the people who like them) just give me first right of refusal.  I was just looking to back up my pair so I figured it was more important to get you into the fan club.  Happy listening. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #64 of 163
  The  big size of the hall made it  possible  to listen no problem with open cans.Even the vendors Liked the Vibe of the Hall.
.... I didn't listen to much at the meet as I hardly do anymore, a lot of yacking & making sure everything is setup for the meet attendees.   

The after meet Diner run is also a NY meet tradition I always enjoy.

Great meeting and the big hall was made it possible to listen to a lot of interesting combinations without too much interference. I absolutly agree, great opportunity to audition some of the finest stuff around.

I have been to the New York City Audio Show 2013, in the NY Palace Hotel, which is a little more posh than the American Legion Hall in Babylon
wink.gif
but apart from paying to get in the Audio Show, the headphone room was so crammed and noisy, any serious listing was completely impossible.

At that time I had not been infected with the HD800 and all the other praised gear in this forum.
That has changed completely - thanks folks
biggrin.gif

Thanks for organizing a great Head-Fi meeting!
Cheers Tom
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #65 of 163

I was amazed by the SR-X MK3 and have already purchased a pair on ebay!

These and other STAX with the same drivers (OK, in the PRO version...) are my favorite STAX headphones. 

I had a great meet. It was fun catching up with everyone. As usual, I did not listen to too much stuff, but spent a bunch of time taking pictures. 

Thanks, as always, to Tom for organizing the meet. 

Lunch! 

More lunch! 
Thanks Larry! 

Still more lunch. I like food. 
There is no food in these photos. 

Turntable. 

Raptor

EC 2a3mk2

Tom chatting with Todd while listening to Doug's really sweet amp & DAC

Ya know...

Some headphones. If you have the means, they are so choice. 

Another pic of Doug's setup.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #66 of 163
I really enjoyed the meet, as always. I spent most time talking with people, especially Mullett, ESL-1, and Dan. I really enjoy talking about all sorts of things with everyone, even things that have little to do with headphones at all! Pics to come, and thanks to Ari for doing the auction, Tom for organizing, Joe for loaning me cables, Jude for coming to support the community, and all the vendors and members who came to just hangout, it was really an awesome meet!

On to some impressions
N.B. As i said, I didn't really spend that long listening to that many systems for too long. I think I missed a few setups but I did get a quick listen to a lot of gear.

Abyss - First time I heard it was at NYC Audio Show last February. I hated it. I heard it last year at the winter meet, and I loved em. This time, I didn't like them. I think it may have been a fit issue, because I really just can't get a read on these. They are interesting sonically, but I just can't get a read. I think I like them a lot, I just need to spend more time getting a better fit

Teton - was really nice. Quite articulate and punchy I thought. I liked it a lot. But, there was a very apparent, yet quiet, hiss in the amp, but it could have been the song choice. I picked a song I'm very familiar with in Pinball Wizard, maybe Decur was using a different recording than I. However, it was definitely one of the best tube amps I've heard, minus the hiss.

HD800 - I owned a pair, but sold it because I prefer the T1. I still feel the T1 is a more involving, more interesting headphone, probably the best in the world in my opinion. However, the HD800 is certainly better for classical, more laid back music.

Lampizator - As mentioned, it's difficult to "review" a DAC when it's in a system with an unfamiliar amplifier and an unfamiliar pair of cans. I know I like the He-6, but have only heard it on a few occasions. I had never before heard the W4S mono blocks. Overall, the system sounded fantastic. I loved chatting with Craig and the other guy there (sorry I didn't catch your name) for a few minutes. He enlightened me about some DSD stuff, which was quite nice.

K812 - I really enjoyed my Q701, and I think the K812 has a similar tonality. It has better sound staging though, and a much more airy feeling. I really liked it driven from the small fostex portable.

Momentum - The first time I heard them, I didn't like them. This time, out of the HDVD800, they were pretty nice, I listened for a bit, but wasn't my preference on music, so I couldn't get a good feeling, but they were definitely usable.

HDVD800 - I want this amp badly. Really badly. I want to compare it to my Burson Soloist pretty bad, too. This amp just seams so clean, and coming from Sennheiser I can expect great things. I actually did notice a difference between the balanced and unbalanced HD 600's. This is the first time I really heard a noticeable difference. I think the HDV600 is something I want to get, since I don't need the DAC, but it's still out of my budget unfortunately.

Alpha Dogs - I really like the Alpha Dogs, and I think Dan has done a fantastic job in their production. The cups are perfectly finished, the headband distributes weight evenly, and the pads are some of the most comfortable I've worn. I think they sound like an open headphone truly. They have a little darker sound signature than I prefer, being a T1 + Solid State user, but I think they sound spectacular in terms of detail retrieval, balance, and comfort. I also want to say that Dan is one of the nicest guys ever. I got to talk to him for a good chunk of time, and it's always a pleasure to chat with him. We talked about some totally random stuff, as well as some relevant topics such as the foam he uses and why he didn't choose a matte finish. I think he's a great guy, and I always look forward to his attendance of the meets.

Woo WA7 + Power Supply - I really like all of Jack's amps. They are all so clean and articulate. I had a few issues before where I was using poorly matched headphones with his amps, but I now wish I had never sold them. They all sound so clean and are never too smooth. The WA7 impressed me from day 1, with a more solid state sound than most tube amps. I think Jack does a phenomenal job tuning his amps. I listened to the Aloha Dog on the WA7 and found the combo quite pleasing. There is some great aesthetics to the amp as well, which can only help the cause. Jack is also a great guy, and I wish you guys would all leave his station alone so I could a) listen for an hour on all his different amps and b) talk to him for a little haha. He's always so busy I would feel bad starting a conversation. But he's quite a nice guy and really knowledgable too.

W3000anv - I'm quite thankful Maxx134 left these at my table for a while, as my dad and I both loved them. They were pretty awesome! They were comfortable and sounded fantastic. They also looked cool. They had some nice separation and detail retrieval. They also had no noticeable flaw in their frequency response, which I didn't expect for some reason. They were really a treat.

R10 - I have heard them plenty of times, but I'm still always amazed at how great they are. If I could own one headphone only, any headphone, it would be the R10. They are so airy and spacious, but still articulate and involving. The best listening experience of the meet was Eric Clapton Unplugged on the R10's, simply sublime.

TubesUSA - George was a really friendly guy, and tested and graded my tubes for me, which was very helpful. I think I'm going to end up buying some tubes from him, and it's nice to have a more personal connection to some extent.

T5P - I really wanted to like these. They sounded a bit closed in. It could have been the amplifier, I'm not sure how good the Beyer amp is. I did like the T90 a fair bit though, and Pete and his partner (Sorry again for forgetting the name!) helped me find the earpads for my T1. They are really nice guys, and their help is greatly appreciated.

LCD X - I think it has some good qualities, and some not so good qualities. I expected it to be a bit brighter than it was, which was a little disappointing. I heard them before, but I just expected a different result this time and I'm not sure why. I think they are quite comfortable, but not as sonically preferable as the LCD3

LCD XC - I heard a prototype last year at the NYC Audio Show and was absolutely blown away, granted they were running off some ridiculous CD player and Amp that cost together I believe $20k. I hadn't heard them again until the meet, where they really shined off of the GSX-2. I think these are my favorite Audez'e headphones for sure, and I wish I had the funds to buy a pair, as their slightly darker signature would compliment my T1's well.

Lambda vs. Lambda Pro - Tyler, Joe and I compared Joe's Lambdas with my Lambda Pro's using his Stax SRM-T1 amp. I think the Pro had a bit more bite to it, and the original maybe had a little more extension, but I don't think anyone could pass a blind test, as they were much more similar than different without a doubt.

Amp Product designed by Doug (Don't remember the name) - this was the amp with the green plastic glass casing. I don't remember what topology exactly it was, or what the price will be, but the amp sounded pretty good with the HD800. I think I need to know the price to ultimately judge the value and performance of the amp, but it would definitely say it performed well enough to warrant further investigation.

LCD 2 - I actually liked the LCD 2 a little more than I thought I would. They sounded pretty dark, but at the same time, they had some nice extension and treble presence. They were a little laid back in the treble region, but they were still good for the music that was there. I was pleasantly surprised by these.

Final note, the winner for best demo music goes to Dan (Mr.Speakers), with a close second going to Jack. Third is a tie between Frank and Skullguise. They all had ample music samples that I liked, especially AC/DC, which is great for testing the attack of headphones. I think Dan wins because I also got to listen to some B-52's, which really showed off his headphones well. Jack had a lot of interesting albums too. Frank for his plethora of generally known artists, which was fun, and Skullguise for his epic Sony media center. That thing was sweet!

If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #67 of 163
HDVD800 - I want this amp badly. Really badly. I want to compare it to my Burson Soloist pretty bad, too. This amp just seams so clean, and coming from Sennheiser I can expect great things. I actually did notice a difference between the balanced and unbalanced HD 600's. This is the first time I really heard a noticeable difference. I think the HDV600 is something I want to get, since I don't need the DAC, but it's still out of my budget unfortunately.

I also noticed a tremendous difference. Unless it changed throughout the day, the headphones that were out were 650's. I wish I had done a blind test so the comparison had any meaning.

Out of curiosity, how would you describe the difference? 

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #69 of 163

The HDVD800 is worth owning.  I have one.  Yes, you can hear the difference between single-ended and balanced on HD600/650/700/800.  The difference is so big you'll have to be deaf to not hear it.

Apr 7, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #70 of 163
Another pic of Doug's setup.

Amp Product designed by Doug (Don't remember the name) - this was the amp with the green plastic glass casing. I don't remember what topology exactly it was, or what the price will be, but the amp sounded pretty good with the HD800. I think I need to know the price to ultimately judge the value and performance of the amp, but it would definitely say it performed well enough to warrant further investigation.

Doug's amp show lot of  promise. - Diamond buffer design very mpressive

That would be ecp audio. :) The amp is the Black Diamond prototype. Some thoughts on an earlier version of that amp at http://www.head-fi.org/t/661233/ecp-audio-dsha-1-l-2-black-diamond and design info at http://diy.ecpaudio.com/2012/11/black-diamond-headphone-amplifier-part-1.html and http://diy.ecpaudio.com/2013/02/black-diamond-headphone-amplifier-part-2.html

Thanks to Tom for a great meet!

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #71 of 163

In my opinion, it is completely impossible to analyze a DAC without having other DAC's on the same audio system. How do we know what his amps and headphones sound like? Even a low end DAC from a different brand would be sufficient to perform a comparison. But with no reference point, it is pointless to demo a DAC.

Finally some one with some good sense.  

Apr 7, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #72 of 163
Hi everybody —

I just got home and wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you to everyone who stopped by the UE table to listen, hang, talk shop, and debate the finer points of audio. We had a blast. I can't believe that this was the 4th NY meet that I participated in. It feels like yesterday that we were in Queens with my amp catching on fire while that random gypsy band performed outside...

A special thank to Tom for making it happen (as always) and thanks to Drew from Moon Audio for sending us his Black and Silver Dragon cables to display. I'm a convert! Hearing is believing. Also wanted to thank Jude for leaving his A&K 240 at our table, it was nice to have a one-stop shop to A/B/C the 100/120/240. 

And lastly, I wanted to thank Kenn Richards and his partner Stephanie, Adam Joly from the Hillsong Creative Collective, and Dawn Littleton from First Live Events for their support at the event. Kenn, Adam and Dawn are the new UE Ambassadors for New York so please let me take a second to introduce them because our goal is for the meet to never end. If anyone in the NY area wasn't able to attend and wants to listen to any of our CIEM's, just drop me a note and we can arrange private listening sessions or even mini meets. 

In case any of you missed it, Kenn Richards is the audio director for F# and he's a pioneer in the field of 3D audio. Adam is a drummer at Hillsong and he performs for over 7000 people weekly. Dawn is an audio engineer who is bringing mobile recording and in-house multimedia to a number of venues throughout the city. Our team is getting better and better and we want to let New York know that we're here for you 365 days a year. That way, the meets just get to be a time to hang and catch up with old friends and make new ones.

Many thanks,

Mike

Apr 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #74 of 163
I stopped by around the time the auction started but didn't get a chance to stay too long. It was nice chatting some new and old members. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to hear many rigs (although I tend not to listen to the rigs as much as I do chatting with members now) but I did hear the R10's but I can't remember the dac or amp. It was some NOS dac if that helps but the R10's sound lovely as always. I also heard the newest headphone from Dan (Alpha Dogs or something? I can't really remember) off Mullet's rig which was also nice. I heard them before at the last meet and if I was ever in the market for a closed headphone this would be on my short list.

Also thanks to Jude I really want the AK240 but for once I didn't make any impulse buys at a meet. Lastly thanks to Tom for organizing, the vendors for their support, Ari for the auction and just both old/new members for making it a fun meet.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #75 of 163
I was unfortunately just passing through and only had about 90 minutes to spare, but it was awesome to compare my LCD-2 Rev2's to the LCD-3, LCD-X, and LCD-XC. Personally, I found the LCD-X to be definitively my favorite. Big thanks to those that brought out these cans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back